Link Width issue -> new graphics card.

Diademed

Sep 4, 2004
I've got the link width issue, my card is coming up as 2x instead of 16.

This isn't a troubleshoot post, I've tried about everything to try and get it working.

My options thus far are replace the motherboard or the video card.

My previous video card worked fine with the motherboard, until one of the display outputs stopped working. The RMA has a link width issue with my motherboard.

My thoughts are: motherboard won't give me any real upgrade, despite almost certainly solving the problem.

Video card may work, and I can actually get some worth for my money.

That being said, I'm hoping to buy it locally from Fry's or something.

Anyway...

What card am I looking at?
Price range: best bang for the buck, $100-$200. Doesn't need to run Crysis at 32xAA in 4000x6000, as long as it beats my 8800GTS 512 OC, and ISN'T a G92 core, I'll be happy.

Nvidia grossly preferred.

Cheers!
Dia

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Try reseating the card first. Maybe unscrew it and try it just placed in the slot and see what the link width shows up as.

If the motherboard has a problem with an 8800gts, I'd think it'd have a problem with all the nvidia cards.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Actually I was going to say that it may very well be the replacement card they gave you. It is almost certainly a refurb, and this might have been something they missed when fixing it. I mean, unless you tried it in another motherboard and saw that it works at 16x, then I would suspect the replacement card, not your motherboard which worked fine on the old card until the old card died...

donniedarko74

Dec 4, 2008
I know this a rather old post but may help others:

I got / had similar issue with a gtx260, fits in case but tight and shows/runs at 1x.

I tried for hours various methods (drivers/bios etc) and finally got sick of messing around and stripped the PC and set it up outside the case.

Running at 16x, so it might be the card isnt sitting in the slot correctly even if you think it is. Ive just hacksawed the case to give me room and using slightly longer motherboard stands.

Will test later when i get home :)

Just rebuilt PC and works fine 16x @ 16x