Link light on netgear RP114 router constantly blinking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rigmah, Jun 29, 2002.

1. rigmah

rigmah Senior member

I just got a used RP114 router from my friend. I connected my road runner cable modem to the WAN port the the router. The link light on the WAN port keeps on blinking but when i connect the cable modem directly to my PC, the conenction is stable. I tried conecting 2 computers to the router and the internet on both is very erratic.

please help

thanks
    rigmah

2. Jeff7

Jeff7 Lifer

Just figured I'd add in that the Link light on both my cable modem and my router are constantly blinking, even if none of the computers are on. I don't know why, but I don't seem to be having any problems.

3. rigmah

rigmah Senior member

4. Kingofcomputer

Kingofcomputer Diamond Member

check your cable, the link status should be always on once you connect the router to the modem.

5. rigmah

rigmah Senior member

i tried a few cables and i get the same result. I heard something about straight through and crossover cables. which one should i be using?

6. Kingofcomputer

Kingofcomputer Diamond Member

the router manual suggests to use the cable provided from your dsl provider that originally connected the modem to the computer, the wiring could be non-standard, so this cable must work for the modem to router's wan port as for model to computer.

7. BillZR

BillZR Junior Member

I have a Netgear RP114 router which works fine as a LAN but I cannot connect to the internet with it
    I am using a Macintosh G4 OS9.2 which I can get to internet when wired directly to cable modem
    When i wire it up my LNK light on the WAN port only blinks and will not come on solid

Sounds like a similar problem
    Someone suggested low signal strength but don't know how to test this