Lincoln Project ads (new ads today 8-28/30) Chyna, Doc and School

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
But what did he do? What does he continue to do? Play it down like its nothing, waging a fucking war on masks, keeping his own experts off the air like Fauci.
No dispute from me there! Dumpy's actions have been entirely, 100% callous, reckless and incompetent from day one. But any response would have necessarily had to involve long shutdowns, and in a society like the U.S. without much in the way of social safety nets, job losses. Losses that will reverse eventually though, as society recovers from the impact of this disease.

So he absolutely deserves shit for almost everything of what he's done, but mostly for all the stuff he should have done but instead deliberately didn't do. However, if you wanna be fair, job losses is kinda hard to fault him for since they would have occurred regardless. One can argue until we all turn blue in the face about how many fewer jobs would be lost and for how long if Dumpy instead had done this and that like he should have, but it's all speculation with some benefit of hindsight.

I'm sure Obama could have done some things better in the recovery from the 2008 economic crash too if he had the benefit of hindsight... :)

We could have been well on our way to recovery already. Instead, this is going to go on for much longer.
Dumpy could have done more, sure. It's almost hard to imagine what he could have done LESS actually. :) Extensive contact tracing would be difficult in a nation of over 320 million people though, even when not factoring in Merica's large landmass, and people being divided up by state lines with their own laws and procedures and administrations and whatnot. I don't know what facilities might exist for something like that, if any at all.

Then consider Dumpy dissolved Obama's pandemic response team over a year and a half ago or somesuch (undoubtedly mostly because Obama created it), if there were procedures for mass testing of people and contact tracing and whatnot drawn up by that team, what happened to those plans? *shrug*

Feb 4, 2009
Simple interesting stuff on the Lincoln Project. I found the last part where they say they intend to keep working until Biden takes office and beyond because there will still be Trumpism in the system.
Also I liked this quote from the Lincoln Project about the Presidents claim they are lining their pockets:
The Trump campaign has called the Lincoln Project a "scam PAC," accusing members of "lining" their pockets. In response, Lincoln Project spokesman Keith Edwards said, "No one here is buying a Ferrari."
Brad Parscale recently bough a Ferrari

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Well if he takes credit for the record job growth just because people returned to work, then yes he deserves the credit for record job losses because of his horrible handing of the crisis.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
At this point it’s not redemption. They are trying to burn the current party to the ground and reboot.

Well then I really, really hope they’re saving some of that PAC money for recruiting candidates in 2022 and 2024. They need to replace the current crop of GOP traitors, corporate sellouts, Teahadis, Freedumb Caucus, QAholes, Fake Evangelicals, and not-quite-closeted racists, bigots and white supremacists. Wishful thinking maybe, but that’s the only way to reboot the RNC.

Feb 4, 2009
A new one.
I must say, their troll game is on point.
Knowing Trump, there is no way this does NOT go under his skin.
I am laughing my ass off.

Brutal & accurate because it is as much about him as to how many leaks have been happening since BEFORE he took office.
Any other Politician at any other time I’d say this goes too far and has little point.
I’m not saying that today.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Well then I really, really hope they’re saving some of that PAC money for recruiting candidates in 2022 and 2024. They need to replace the current crop of GOP traitors, corporate sellouts, Teahadis, Freedumb Caucus, QAholes, Fake Evangelicals, and not-quite-closeted racists, bigots and white supremacists. Wishful thinking maybe, but that’s the only way to reboot the RNC.

They have already publicly stated they won’t go away after November. They plan to stay around until Trumpism in the Republican Party is dead.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't believe in GOP redemption that Lincoln Project is spearheading, but I am thoroughly enjoying their ads :D

I'd say the US needs the Republicans (or really, a viable alternative to the Democrats) to maintain the spirit of democracy and keep things sharp. But the country specifically needs a responsible Republican party that accepts the realities of the 21st century. That is, it doesn't engage in the current GOP's obstructionism, doesn't chain itself to incompetent would-be autocrats, and believes in radical concepts like science, baseline integrity and truly secular government.

I look at it this way: many hardcore Republican supporters genuinely want permanent one-party rule (hence why they're okay with election rigging and disenfranchisement). They genuinely want the end to functional democracy. We should show we're better than them and that what we really want is a proper democracy with rational decision making from everyone involved.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: zinfamous

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I'd say the US needs the Republicans (or really, a viable alternative to the Democrats) to maintain the spirit of democracy and keep things sharp. But the country specifically needs a responsible Republican party that accepts the realities of the 21st century. That is, it doesn't engage in the current GOP's obstructionism, doesn't chain itself to incompetent would-be autocrats, and believes in radical concepts like science, baseline integrity and truly secular government.

I look at it this way: many hardcore Republican supporters genuinely want permanent one-party rule (hence why they're okay with election rigging and disenfranchisement). They genuinely want the end to functional democracy. We should show we're better than them and that what we really want is a proper democracy with rational decision making from everyone involved.
The US already has a center-right political party filled with reasonable, responsible politicians who don't want to change the status quo without a preponderance of the evidence.

They're called Democrats.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
The US already has a center-right political party filled with reasonable, responsible politicians who don't want to change the status quo without a preponderance of the evidence.

Yeah was just going to say this, what we need is for the Republican party to die in a fire, and an actual leftist part to appear to offset the Democrats.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Brutal & accurate because it is as much about him as to how many leaks have been happening since BEFORE he took office.
I would like to see them focus on just how many of Dumpy's biggest-brain "only the best people" hires he later - and often not very much later - fired (and slandered for being stupid and the worst people even though he himself the infallible super genius hired them), and those who simply quit on him (some of which he afterwards falsely claimed to have fired, because he just can't handle being snubbed. lol)

How many out of Dumpy's cabinet remain from day one? There's Cruella DeVil, that I know, and there's gotta be a few others, but man. There's been shitloads of churn in his administration. Absolutely epic levels. Sometimes several people coming and going in a row for the same post, how many chiefs of staff has it been now?

Naturally because he's a humongous douche, ignorant, demented and nearly impossible to work with.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah was just going to say this, what we need is for the Republican party to die in a fire, and an actual leftist part to appear to offset the Democrats.
AOC gang and Sanders wants to know what check-in time is?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
A new one.
I must say, their troll game is on point.
Knowing Trump, there is no way this does NOT go under his skin.
I am laughing my ass off.

Brilliant. It's really only aimed at Trump himself. Getting inside his head. Playing on his weakness and insecurity. Psychological warfare at its best.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Well, the US needs another reasonable, responsible party whatever their leanings! I'd really just like to see Republicans that don't act like children and are willing to bend with the times rather than wish it was 1950 forever.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Well, the US needs another reasonable, responsible party whatever their leanings! I'd really just like to see Republicans that don't act like children and are willing to bend with the times rather than wish it was 1950 forever.
Well, the 10-15 of them that still actually exist are free to join the Democratic Party and re-arrange the chairs so that center-right Democrats can run the Democratic party and the actual progressives can form a Progressive Party to do what Progressive Parties are good at: change the conversation so that bold centrists can create change using the centrist party to conservatively change things responsibly.

As long as the Republican Party is collecting 40-45% of the vote almost everywhere, we're stuck with a party of lunatics and grifters coasting on their Party's decency from 30+ years ago.