Lincoln Project ads (new ads today 8-28/30) Chyna, Doc and School

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
LOL,
"Who do you trust?
Donald the Dope or the Doctor?It's not a miracle, its democracy
lol! Yeah, he'll like being called that. He'll take it well. ;)

On november 3rd, we can make Donald Dump disappear, the voice says. No, we can't, because if he loses he's going to keep on yelling and screaming for the rest of his life how he was cheated out of the presidency, and rile up every kook and nut who is crazy enough to listen to him.

So yeah, you'll wish he'd actually disappear. But he won't.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Boy I can't wait for the ad based on the Trump interview with Chris Wallace this morning. It's going to be a doozy.

Dale Carnegie won't make COVID go away.

Last edited:
Reactions: esquared

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Good article by Vox (or, particularly good references). I like this quote from Eoin Higgins
The fact is that the coalition is made up of people who until very recently were happily ensconced in the GOP—meaning that it’s not the policies pursued and beliefs espoused by Trump that are the issue. It’s just his delivery. This is not an abstract issue. The president is part and parcel of the entire Republican project and its logical conclusion after five decades of cultivating an increasingly enraged white base filled with economic and cultural grievances for which the GOP has blamed on the uneven but inexorable march to greater equality in American society.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Wake Up ad was friggin beautiful.

How It Starts was...startling. Interesting soundtrack too, like right out of a tense Hollywood thriller.

It's depressing that ads like these should even be necessary. I certainly never expected to see anything like this coming from the U.S.; then again, I suppose Merica never really was what it portrayed itself to be. Or not for most people anyhow. And that's what led us to this.

Getting rid of Dumpy isn't even the big issue, not really. Because the undercurrents that swept that fucking clown to the top of the nation will still be there even after he's gone, one way or the other. And what will stop some smarter guy, some more eloquent guy from picking up his "recipe for success" as it were (accidentally discovered!), and repeat what he did? IE, always blame the other guy, always praise yourself. Never apologize for anything. Project, like an entire battery of cinemaplexes; anything shady you do, you shamelessly and ceaselessly accuse the other side of. Always repeat how evil and corrupt the other side is, when it really is you who is evil and corrupt.

And above all, lie, lie and lie, like there's no tomorrow, always telling people what they expect to hear, and what they most want to hear. Sell them on the idea that things that vastly improve the quality of their lives - like public health care - is devilish oppression which will bankrupt them when it's the opposite which is true (freedom is slavery!) And constantly reinforce how awesome things are going to be with you in charge, even though you've got no clue how to make it come true; they won't remember your lies, because when it becomes apparent you were just bullshitting you've already told anything from 50 to 500+ new lies, sweeping the old ones out of public consciousness long, long ago.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Good article by Vox (or, particularly good references). I like this quote from Eoin Higgins

It's interesting though. Trump may be partially a product of the direction of the Republican Party, but in fairness, those people didn't _conciously_ create him. He's an accident, an unexpected side-swerve, and a consequence of the fact that Republican agenda the quote mentions is not entirely coherent or as internally-consistent as it is supposed to be. I think it's a little deeper than just his 'delivery', not just a question of style, his substantive agenda isn't quite what those conservatives had in mind, the agenda and ideology has unexpectedly cross-bred with something else, and they've lost control of it.

I know it's a bit glib to invoke Hitler again, but there is a parallel with how various political forces, including, but not limited to, traditional conservatives, contributed to accidentally creating Adolf and put him in power, without really intending to.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well, if America wants to be a communist dictatorship, we certainly have the president for it. Lets just see what America decides, or.... if America even cares? I kinda think America does not bother to care anymore.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
7-19-20
Wake Up!

7-19-20
How it Starts

Holy smokes, they are going from their A game to their A+ game.
If they keep ramping this up till election .. holy moly, we are gonna have to start a greatest hits chart ... make a poll with all their ads, you can change your vote and add new ads as they are released? lolz.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Wake Up ad was friggin beautiful.
cd7501d4504643fe3cd1d3fec1ad8b90.jpg

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Holy smokes, they are going from their A game to their A+ game.
If they keep ramping this up till election .. holy moly, we are gonna have to start a greatest hits chart ... make a poll with all their ads, you can change your vote and add new ads as they are released? lolz.
Saved by our frienemy, pretty weird. I just don't want those running these ads to ever get power again.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Nope. But right now I'll settle for the worlds biggest military power not descending into fascism.
Yes, that how most of us are justifying it right now. Trump is so bad, for us and the world, that he needs to be taken down by any means necessary.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

clever ad, but i think compared to lincoln project's previous ones, this didn't quite hit with the same punch. not that it was bad, but just a completely different tone.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I still think its brilliant and I can see what they are doing..
new angle : stab

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I still think its brilliant and I can see what they are doing..
I think if people here think that ads that resonate with them are the ads that are useful electorally they are badly deluded.

I’m skeptical of how useful ads are generally but I think the ones that might work probably don’t preach to the concerted.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I think if people here think that ads that resonate with them are the ads that are useful electorally they are badly deluded.

I’m skeptical of how useful ads are generally but I think the ones that might work probably don’t preach to the concerted.

I think they have stated this already, their target audience is a person of one :).
Its that Chinese thing, death by a thousand cuts.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and FaaR

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
You know, that's a really important point. This factor has been studied closely in psychology; it's very hard to actually make people change their opinions, they mostly just dig in when presented with opposing viewpoints.

However, if by some chance one person here or there was to wake up and realize the person they have been idolizing really is a flaming fricken moron, well, that's one pin down. 36 million or whatever to go. Hopefully those people will be able to shift some others along with them, because there's gotta be some dissatisfied, sullen Trumpers out there.

Elderly people especially I'm hoping, since the enduring message from the Repuggers for months now has been like, "Here, please all throw yourselves on this corona sword now if you don't mind, you wrinkly-assed old bastards are killing the economy with the shutdowns we're forced to endure for your stupid sake. Stop wanting to live longer, we're losing money!!!"

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
please don't forget that the people putting these out are trash
Yes yes, we know. They're still Repuggers. After all, "Party of Lincoln" and all that. But hey, these people wanna burn their own party right down to the ground, why not cheer them on eh? ;)

Surprising that it took this long for the backlash campaign to start. Then again, The LP is really stirring up the hive over there in the GOP HQ, so one should have figured some sort of counter reaction had to happen eventually, including that old classic 'digging up forgotten, ill-advised tweets'...

Too bad Bill Maher is on vacation all this month, he's been inviting Rick Wilson semi-regularly for years now, would be interesting to have him over as guest again so he can talk more about what they're doing and why. After all, what could be better than seeing them in ruins, GOPper fighting GOPper, and as much strife and mayhem everywhere as possible? :D