Lima climate change talks reach agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllanMoore

Dec 13, 2014
www.eyk.me
Deal would for first time commit all countries – including developing nations – to cutting emissions.

Negotiators adopted a course of action on Sunday that would for the first time commit every country to cutting the greenhouse gas emissions that drive climate change.

The decision reached at United Nations climate talks on Sunday was seen as a significant first step towards reaching a global climate change deal in Paris at the end of next year – although negotiators acknowledged much of the hard work remained ahead.

It is also far from clear that the actions sketched out on Sunday would be enough to limit warming to the internationally agreed limit of 2C above pre-industrial levels – or to protect poor countries from climate change.
“I think this is good, and I think this moves us forward,” Manuel Pulgar-Vidal, Peru’s environment minister and the chair of the talks, said.
The deal struck early Sunday – now officially known as the Lima Call for Climate Action - would for the first time require all countries, rising economies as well as rich countries, to take action on climate change.

What is look like now:

Infographic for World Carbon Dioxide Emissions by Country

And what do you think? :)

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It think it's a fucked up idea. We have far greater priorities than this, in America. How about working on our economy, infrastructure, jobs, etc. These bullshit political agendas have to end. These are panic tactics designed to take our money.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It think it's a fucked up idea. We have far greater priorities than this, in America. How about working on our economy, infrastructure, jobs, etc. These bullshit political agendas have to end. These are panic tactics designed to take our money.

Protip: More than one issue can be addressed simultaneously.

You're welcome.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Protip: More than one issue can be addressed simultaneously.

You're welcome.

He's right. We don't want go extinct wearing soiled underwear. We need to lay out our suits before we die. We want to look sharp for the Momeando when they dig us up in a million years.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
So, how many billions do we have to ship to "developing" nations under this agreement?

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
yfoee_bonn_action_0609_2.JPG

So, how many billions do we have to ship to "developing" nations under this agreement?

A UN report declared that the developing countries may need equal to $500 billion per year by 2050 to adapt to the destruction of climate change.

Telling rich nations that they cannot be absolved of their past “sins,” India on Thursday said developed countries should compensate developing nations for the effects their greenhouse gas emissions have had on climate.

Within the UN, rich developed countries must meet their historical responsibility by committing to urgent and deep emissions cuts in line with science and justice.

They must also repay their climate debt to poorer countries in the developing world so that they too can tackle climate change. This means transferring adequate public finance and technology to developing countries...

If you want, you can call it climate change or climate justice.

But to me it looks like wealth redistribution.

And to paraphrase a well known politician, if you like your wealth redistribution, you can keep your wealth redistribution.

Uno

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
And what do you think? :)

I think that there's no movement of man that will happen fast enough to stop the next 200ppm and I'd be surprised if we don't see more than that. If the "leading" scientists are correct on the matter, then say goobye to all that lovely ice, and beach front property today.

If they're not correct - then there's no compelling reason to make agreements to slow down economies and increase the price of energy.

It's a damned if you do (paltry), damned if you don't scenario. I've witnessed no attempts at an agreement to stop global CO2 emissions immediately. It's almost like no one takes it seriously when they offer public policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.