Lightroom 4 open beta

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
It will work through March so download it now! All you need is an Adobe account.
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4/

So far I really like the new "White" adjustment slider. They've also added geotagging from a GPS tracklog (there has been no good software for that until now), and color balance adjustment by brush.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
I hope they put in face recognition. I know some people think that's gimmicky and unprofessional, but I find it quite useful for tagging my photos.

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
Will skip the beta - stick to release. Since I upgrade a bundled Leica at least once a year I get it 'free' anyway now.

Would be nice to see the weird multimonitor behaviour fixed.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
I love this program, but it's starting to feel like Adobe's trying too hard to think up features. Really, is there anything that ver 3.6 doesn't do that customers are clamoring for?

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Any cool changes to the library? One thing that I'd like to see is a shutter count in the meta data.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
3.6 has a link in the metadata that will pull up Google maps and locate it (assuming the GPS data is attached). What exactly is it that you guys are looking for in terms of GPS support?

Lightroom 4 will use the photo timestamps, and a GPS tracklog (each point in the log is timestamped also) to geotag your photos. So rather than buy a camera with a GPS built in, you can just carry a handheld or car GPS with you and collect a log as you take pictures.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Listening to a photography podcast today, I learned that LR4 will also have soft proofing, something that users have had to turn to Photoshop for in the past. I'm continually amazed at what it can do with RAW files.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Been playing with the beta for a bit. Seems pretty good. I guess I just prefer Photoshop and Photoshop elements. I seem to be able to do what I want a lot faster. Of course Lightroom is much more affordable than regular Photoshop.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Been playing with the beta for a bit. Seems pretty good. I guess I just prefer Photoshop and Photoshop elements. I seem to be able to do what I want a lot faster. Of course Lightroom is much more affordable than regular Photoshop.

There is a learning curve. I invested a fair amount of time watching videos and reading Scott Kelby's book before I was comfortable with LR. However I very rarely use Photoshop anymore. If they integrated a Panorama function into LR I'd almost never open Photoshop. I just prefer PS for Panoramas and single raw HDR.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Kelby's book is excellent, and a great way to get up to speed with LR. 95% of my post processing is now done in this program.