Lightly used Microsoft Surface Pro 7 Dead

Nov 20, 2009
About Xmas the year before I bought a couple of Surface Pro 7's through Costco. The one in question has never left my home and literally does nothing but stream Youtube ambient white noise to a pair of Bluetooth speakers. Wife said a couple of days ago it shut off during the night. She turned it back on, acted normal, and then turned it off again. She said last night she went to turn it on and it wouldn't come on. I just checked it and it will not come on. Its a brick. When the power cable is connected, it's white LED powers on but nothing from the display, no sound, nothing. I took it downstairs and connected it via USB Type-C to an external monitor and still nothing. The environment this Surface Pro sat in with without kids/pets, moisture or extreme temperatures. I'm wondering if Microsoft tried to push a Windows 11 upgrade--without my permission--and bricked it.

Any ideas on what I can doing other than walk it into a Costco warehouse? I made the purchase online, but I chose to pick it up in the warehouse. This is really disappointing. BTW, I even tried holding down the power button for 5-10 seconds several times and nothing. I think this is the last time I spend money on a MS laptop and for this specific purpose just use a cheap Chromebook instead.

Nov 20, 2009
Never mind. I was doing it wrong to get a hard power down/restart. Power button AND Up volume for +15 seconds got it powering on. It came up normal. I am now able to cycle it just fine. I might need to train the wife on checking it updates are lingering when she's trying to power it off.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Never mind. I was doing it wrong to get a hard power down/restart. Power button AND Up volume for +15 seconds got it powering on. It came up normal. I am now able to cycle it just fine. I might need to train the wife on checking it updates are lingering when she's trying to power it off.

Might as well try to train a cat.