Life in Honolulu *SEXY*

rawoutput

Banned
Jan 23, 2002
Hello all,

I'm considering going to college in Honolulu next fall (Chaminade University). Being a country boy from New York, I was just wondering if anyone here is living there or could share their experiences. I'll have my room through the school, and a meal plan so I don't expect expenses to be too crazy. How practical is a motorcycle over there? I have a car now, but i'd like to sell it before i go to Hawaii to make the move easier and just buy something over there.
Any opinions are welcome. I put sexy in there so would click on it. Yeah you. Pervert.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I know SOOO many people who told me they were going to go to school there. Evidently, it's hard to get in for obvious reasons.

Life on any of the Hawaii islands is expensive. Cost of living is greatly expanded there...so if you thought college life on the mainland was sparse and bleak, I can only imagine what it's like there....but the weather and chicks would definitely be nice.

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
but will he be sacraficed by a hot hawaiian woman wearing a grass skirt and coconuts......?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Are ya giving a lot of thought to this? Just wondering, cause I haven't really heard anything to recommend any colleges in Hawaii other than, "Man, the beaches are great. And there are lots of hot chicks." If this is what you are going to college for, best of luck to you :p

rawoutput

Banned
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Colt45
*aims a fart in general direction of thread starter

Well my thread met its retard quota, hopefully that'll be the end of the nerd answers.

Scarpozzi: What are the obvious reasons? I'm still researching the school.

As for living conditions, like I said, I'll have room and board and a meal plan. Any other expenses would be for entertainment mostly.

Rainsford: I know that hawaii schools dont have the best records, but this school is supposed to be pretty challenging. I'm going into the Air Force anyway when I graduate so my career plans are pretty set.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: rawoutput

Well my thread met its retard quota,

aww gee. you hurt my feelings now, why'd you have to go and do that?;)

rolleye.gif

rawoutput

Banned
Jan 23, 2002

rolleye.gif

I don't give a damn about your feelings, go find a Star Trek thread or something.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
I was born there, it's great but everything cost ALOT. Like 3 bucks for an apple, weird prices like that, at least while I was living there.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Since you are not an "islander", you will need a lot of money if you expect to ever have any non-educational fun. If you want to lay on the beach and surf all day, it would probably be a good choice, depending on what island you're on.

I spent 30 minutes in Hawaii on a flight stopover once and swore I would never even fly near that place again, let alone stay there. I don't like extreme humidity.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

rolleye.gif

I don't give a damn about your feelings, go find a Star Trek thread or something.

You're awfully hostile. Hope they have counselors in that school.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Since you are not an "islander", you will need a lot of money if you expect to ever have any non-educational fun. If you want to lay on the beach and surf all day, it would probably be a good choice, depending on what island you're on.

I spent 30 minutes in Hawaii on a flight stopover once and swore I would never even fly near that place again, let alone stay there. I don't like extreme humidity.

Same here. It just feels too dang hot for a PacNW boy like myself.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: flavio

rolleye.gif

I know, he probally doesn't get outside much. And hey, he can always resort to rosey palm for some entertainment. I hear she has a free deal going on right now. Go check out the
hot deals for some more info on that one.

Swanny

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001

rolleye.gif

Come on now, I thought it was funny:)

I think it would be lots of fun to be there. But I would make sure the school is really what you want and that you won't get charged through the nose for unexpected expenses.

EDIT: BTW, how is airfare to there? Although, you might not want to go home for break;)

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I'll be the first to tell you about the "island life."

why Chaminade Uni? Why not UH of Manoa? Chaminade is like three times more expensive than UH.

The area you will be living in is right up the street from my father's house, so definately get in touch with me. Next, cost of living is high here, no doubt about that. Sell your car first before you get here and buy something here. A motorcycle is very practical, there are many riders on the island of Oahu/Honolulu. Finding a job here... shouldn't be too hard to do. Depends what you really want to do. You'll have a wonderful experience that you will probably remember for the rest of your life.

Another thing, Hawaii is far from the grass shack and palm trees. there are tons of buildings here. It looks almost like any other mainland state except there are NO billboards here. Life is the same, there are your ghetto areas, there are your rich areas, there are your anything areas etc etc. If you have more questions please PM me and I'll be more than happy to tell you about Oahu.

rawoutput

Banned
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
I'll be the first to tell you about the "island life."

why Chaminade Uni? Why not UH of Manoa? Chaminade is like three times more expensive than UH.

The area you will be living in is right up the street from my father's house, so definately get in touch with me. Next, cost of living is high here, no doubt about that. Sell your car first before you get here and buy something here. A motorcycle is very practical, there are many riders on the island of Oahu/Honolulu. Finding a job here... shouldn't be too hard to do. Depends what you really want to do. You'll have a wonderful experience that you will probably remember for the rest of your life.

Another thing, Hawaii is far from the grass shack and palm trees. there are tons of buildings here. It looks almost like any other mainland state except there are NO billboards here. Life is the same, there are your ghetto areas, there are your rich areas, there are your anything areas etc etc. If you have more questions please PM me and I'll be more than happy to tell you about Oahu.

Thanks man, I'll be PM'ing you.

SlowSS

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2002
When you get to Hawaii, get to know locals very quickly, they'll either show you or teach you how not to pay tourist prices.

In Hawaii, there are two prices one for the locals and one for the tourist.
I found this out hard way first time I visited Hawaii.

It is a beautiful island but it also have social problems like any other places.

Having motorcyle is good, you could practically use it all year around except during monsoon season.

rawoutput

Banned
Jan 23, 2002

I'm not hostile at all, I just don't have patience for people who flail for attention in threads I start. I merely suggested that he find a thread where people who are interested in his opinion would appreciate his input.

rawoutput

Banned
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: SlowSS
When you get to Hawaii, get to know locals very quickly, they'll either show you or teach you how not to pay tourist prices.

In Hawaii, there are two prices one for the locals and one for the tourist.
I found this out hard way first time I visited Hawaii.

It is a beautiful island but it also have social problems like any other places.

Having motorcyle is good, you could practically use it all year around except during monsoon season.

Yeah my brother is stationed there in the Army and had similar things to say. I don't have problems getting along with people so hopefully I'll get to have the non-raping prices.

Darein

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 2000
I will probably be moving to Oahu to go to UH next year, UW is just too hard to get into EE. :( The education might not be the best, but life there is pretty good. The active volcano is on the big island, where I live. So going to Honolulu will be the big city for me, well a little smaller than Seattle is currently. I'm looking forward to it, get an apartment and a car, go to the beach a lot. Heh. :)