Lies about Iraq rise to level of the absurd

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Zebo
Originally posted by: burnedout
Originally posted by: section321
Fastest advance in modern history????

I can think of a few examples from WWII, like Patton's 3rd Army advancing across France. And especially the Third Army's relief of Bastogne.
Third Army's relief of Bastogne was largely through friendly AO before passage of lines. Patton's advance to Ludwigshafen and across Germany averaged 25 miles per day. Against Russia, the German Wehrmacht averaged about 20 miles per day during the opening phase of Operation Barbarossa.

Comparatively speaking, 3ID advanced 250 miles (400 km) in 7 days to within 50 miles of Baghdad.

Either way it's a bogus self-inflating stat. Like saying a grown man can kick a 5 yr olds ass in less than a minute:p Whoa. There was real similarly equiped opposition in the past...now it's a virtual pond shoot with the unmatched armament/weapons we have, superior training, open terrian, and unoppsed air support.
In this respect, yes, I'll agree.

However, when we look at the amount of resistance presented during either the opening phases of Operation Barbarossa or the waning stages of the Anglo-American advance across Germany, are the opponents so dissimilar?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: Orsorum
Well, since it is an opinion piece - Here is mine.

I think the accusations of Lies that are being thrown at the White House have long since passed the level of being absurd. I could write a big ol piece on that too, but you'd dismiss it as absurd, no? This piece is no more right in it's opinion than I may be in mine.:)

CkG

... How is it "no more right"?

Is it no more wrong? ;)

It's is OPINION:D

CkG

Some of it is opinion. It also makes specific factual statements (see the first section I highlighted) and offers quotes from a Cheney speech where he misrepresents those facts. That is NOT opinion. That is a factual example of Cheney lying.

So you can spin 'til the sheep come home, but it is documented fact that the Bush-lite administration lied while selling their invasion. We can quibble over how much they lied, but only the truly deluded will still claim they were 100% truthful.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: Orsorum
Well, since it is an opinion piece - Here is mine.

I think the accusations of Lies that are being thrown at the White House have long since passed the level of being absurd. I could write a big ol piece on that too, but you'd dismiss it as absurd, no? This piece is no more right in it's opinion than I may be in mine.:)

CkG

... How is it "no more right"?

Is it no more wrong? ;)

It's is OPINION:D

CkG

Some of it is opinion. It also makes specific factual statements (see the first section I highlighted) and offers quotes from a Cheney speech where he misrepresents those facts. That is NOT opinion. That is a factual example of Cheney lying.

So you can spin 'til the sheep come home, but it is documented fact that the Bush-lite administration lied while selling their invasion. We can quibble over how much they lied, but only the truly deluded will still claim they were 100% truthful.

You are entitled to have you opinion, and I can have mine. You posted an OP/ED piece which is opinion. I could write one that has quotes in it too. Is that one more "right" or "wrong" than mine? No.
I called it for what it is.:)

CkG

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Of course opinions can vary in correctness.
rolleye.gif

My opinion is that JQPublic was mislead into giving his support. Your opinion is that he wasn't. How can one not be more correct than the other?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Gaard
rolleye.gif

My opinion is that JQPublic was mislead into giving his support. Your opinion is that he wasn't. How can one not be more correct than the other?

Exactly, hence my reply when it was questioned. The op/ed used selective quoting to paint the picture that the author wants to display. IMO - the "absurdity" isn't where the author says it is, but rather that absurdness lies in the relentless accusations coming from the left.:) I could easily find a few quotes and write something up and post it here. Will you(generic) give it any credit?

CkG

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
rolleye.gif

Exactly, hence my reply when it was questioned. The op/ed used selective quoting to paint the picture that the author wants to display. IMO - the "absurdity" isn't where the author says it is, but rather that absurdness lies in the relentless accusations coming from the left.:) I could easily find a few quotes and write something up and post it here. Will you(generic) give it any credit?

CkG

I think the author's opinion is that Lies about Iraq rise to level of the absurd. Obviously you think his opinion is wrong, correct?

In your first post you say...
<<Well, since it is an opinion piece - Here is mine.

I think the accusations of Lies that are being thrown at the White House have long since passed the level of being absurd. I could write a big ol piece on that too, but you'd dismiss it as absurd, no? This piece is no more right in it's opinion than I may be in mine.>>

So if his opinion (lies have reached a level of absurdity) is wrong, doesn't that make your opinion (no they haven't) right?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
rolleye.gif

CkG

I think the author's opinion is that Lies about Iraq rise to level of the absurd. Obviously you think his opinion is wrong, correct?

I think the accusations of Lies that are being thrown at the White House have long since passed the level of being absurd. I could write a big ol piece on that too, but you'd dismiss it as absurd, no? This piece is no more right in it's opinion than I may be in mine.>>

So if his opinion (lies have reached a level of absurdity) is wrong, doesn't that make your opinion (no they haven't) right?

That might be correct if one assumed such of me. But also if his was wrong that doesn't make mine wrong either just as his being right doesn't mean mine is. They aren't bound to each other per se. One can be right and one can be wrong - that is why it is opinion.:)

CkG

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
rolleye.gif

CkG

That might be correct if one assumed such of me. But also if his was wrong that doesn't make mine wrong either just as his being right doesn't mean mine is. They aren't bound to each other per se. One can be right and one can be wrong - that is why it is opinion.:)

CkG

I'm not following you. Oh well, this discussion isn't heated enough anyways. We're being too civil. Let's get on over to the other threads and really sling some mud around. ;)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
rolleye.gif

CkG

CkG

I'm not following you. Oh well, this discussion isn't heated enough anyways. We're being too civil. Let's get on over to the other threads and really sling some mud around. ;)

:D:beer:

CkG

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
rolleye.gif

CkG

CkG

:D:beer:

CkG

I think the mods found the first thread <lock> :beer:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

You are entitled to have you opinion, and I can have mine. You posted an OP/ED piece which is opinion. I could write one that has quotes in it too. Is that one more "right" or "wrong" than mine? No.

CkG
But you're avoiding the point. An Op-Ed piece can still contain statements of fact. His conclusion -- the Bush admin's lies have risen to the level of absurd -- is an opinion. Nonetheless, he supports this opinion with factual information. You cannot honestly dismiss the facts presented just because he repeats them in an Op-Ed piece. You cannot honestly dismiss the facts just because your opinion differs from his.

Once again, I highlighted certain factual statements near the beginning of the article. Those facts demonstrate that Cheney made dishonest statements. You may disagree that this represents an absurd level of dishonesty, but the facts are what they are, like them or not.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Give it up Bow. CAD will never admit to being wrong. Even on an insignificant issue as to whether or not one opinion can be more correct than another.

To adamantly refuse to acknowledge that one is wrong says a lot about an individual.

<< This piece is no more right in it's opinion than I may be in mine.>>

<<Is it no more wrong?

It's is OPINION>>

<<You are entitled to have you opinion, and I can have mine. You posted an OP/ED piece which is opinion. I could write one that has quotes in it too. Is that one more "right" or "wrong" than mine? No.
I called it for what it is.>>

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG
But you're avoiding the point. An Op-Ed piece can still contain statements of fact. His conclusion -- the Bush admin's lies have risen to the level of absurd -- is an opinion. Nonetheless, he supports this opinion with factual information. You cannot honestly dismiss the facts presented just because he repeats them in an Op-Ed piece. You cannot honestly dismiss the facts just because your opinion differs from his.

Once again, I highlighted certain factual statements near the beginning of the article. Those facts demonstrate that Cheney made dishonest statements. You may disagree that this represents an absurd level of dishonesty, but the facts are what they are, like them or not.

Once again, did I say the opinion was wrong? Did I challenge the quotes? No and no. I said that it is no more right than mine.:)

Gaard - How was I wrong? Are you saying my opinion is wrong? As I just told Bow - I never said the content was wrong - I'm just saying the op/ed piece is no more right than mine(fictional at this point).

You both seem to be hot and bothered by the fact that I pointed out it was an op/ed piece and should only be viewed as such. Does it contain factual info and quotes? Sure, but the way they are pieced together and presented is opinion.
Cripes, in you quest to "prove me wrong" you overlooked what I said. You assumed WAY more than was there.

CkG

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

CkG

Once again, did I say the opinion was wrong? Did I challenge the quotes? No and no. I said that it is no more right than mine.:)

Gaard - How was I wrong? Are you saying my opinion is wrong? As I just told Bow - I never said the content was wrong - I'm just saying the op/ed piece is no more right than mine(fictional at this point).

You both seem to be hot and bothered by the fact that I pointed out it was an op/ed piece and should only be viewed as such. Does it contain factual info and quotes? Sure, but the way they are pieced together and presented is opinion.
Cripes, in you quest to "prove me wrong" you overlooked what I said. You assumed WAY more than was there.

CkG

Spin, spin, spin. Cad, there is only one way your comment forms a logical, responsive argument. You say you didn't contest the factual content. You keep insisting that your opinion is just as valid as the author's. The author's opinion is that the Bush administration's lies, which he factually documents, have reached the level of the absurd. It logically follows that your opinion is that these documented lies do not constitute an absurd level of lying.

If that is your position, then we can agree to disagree. Otherwise, in spite of your statements to the contrary, you are NOT merely expressing a differing opinion. You are, in fact, dodging the factual information presented within the article. The opinion is that the lying reaches absurd levels. The fact is that the Bush administration lied.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Give it up Bow. CAD will never admit to being wrong. Even on an insignificant issue as to whether or not one opinion can be more correct than another.

To adamantly refuse to acknowledge that one is wrong says a lot about an individual.
I know. I just get frustrated that he manages to completely hijack so many threads simply by being persistent. In a sense, he's become a student of the neo-cons/facists, doggedly repeating the same misinformation and backwards accusations until everyone else gives up. In the meantime, his misinformation takes root as pseudo-fact; inattentive people subconsciously assume it's true simply because they've seen it so many times. It inhibits legitimate informed discussion ... which, of course, is exactly what he's trying to do.

He's a good student of the Bush-lite administration.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

I know. I just get frustrated that he manages to completely hijack so many threads simply by being persistent. In a sense, he's become a student of the neo-cons/facists, doggedly repeating the same misinformation and backwards accusations until everyone else gives up. In the meantime, his misinformation takes root as pseudo-fact; inattentive people subconsciously assume it's true simply because they've seen it so many times. It inhibits legitimate informed discussion ... which, of course, is exactly what he's trying to do.

Actually this is tactic used by both side.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison

Agreed. I happen to think Cad is especially proficient at it. I suspect you may have a left-leaning example or two in mind.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Agreed. I happen to think Cad is especially proficient at it. I suspect you may have a left-leaning example or two in mind.

Yes, and you are one of them and the other got a vacation tonight.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

Perhaps, but I think that is a partisan shot without significant merit. If you'd care to point to specific threads where you feel I've done this, I'll be happy to explain why I think you're wrong (from my perspective, of course). I suspect it would be a pointless excercise, however.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Perhaps, but I think that is a partisan shot without significant merit. If you'd care to point to specific threads where you feel I've done this, I'll be happy to explain why I think you're wrong (from my perspective, of course). I suspect it would be a pointless excercise, however.

Actually this is reason i have slowed down my posting here. I consider myself(and hopefully i am right) to open minded when it comes to political debate. You and others often disreguard things you dont agree with, gloss over the things that lie in the middle and continually post only the things you agree with.

The kay report is a good example of this.

I read the kay report and saw that our intel was faulty, but is was not completely wrong either.
The kay report did not let Bush or Saddam off the hook. You and others only saw the faulty intel and ignored Saddams non compliance.

This is just one example of many.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Spin, spin, spin. Cad, there is only one way your comment forms a logical, responsive argument. You say you didn't contest the factual content. You keep insisting that your opinion is just as valid as the author's. The author's opinion is that the Bush administration's lies, which he factually documents, have reached the level of the absurd. It logically follows that your opinion is that these documented lies do not constitute an absurd level of lying.

If that is your position, then we can agree to disagree. Otherwise, in spite of your statements to the contrary, you are NOT merely expressing a differing opinion. You are, in fact, dodging the factual information presented within the article. The opinion is that the lying reaches absurd levels. The fact is that the Bush administration lied.

No - no spin from me, you are assuming just like I said. My whole point was from the start that it is opinion and should be thought of in that way. I made a comment and was challenged on it - and I have been very consistant with it. Yours and other's interpretation and assumption doesn't make my post mean what you say. Please point out where I said that Cheney wasn't inconsistent with his statements. please point out where I totally dismissed the "facts", infact I just posted before that I acknowledge it has "facts" in it. All I said what that it was opinion and should be viewed that way. It isn't that hard to understand. You people who are trying "prove" something are the ones who have drug this out. You aren't going to get me to allow you to put words or statements to my posts that were not there. It was a comment, which people challenged and twisted...yet I'm the one making a bid deal of it
rolleye.gif

But just for the record - I am dismayed at some of the prewar comments and decisions on how to handle this as you'd know if you read the posts about the legality of the war and how it should have been done long ago;) I wasn't disagreeing with anything, Bow - It was just to say that op/eds(opinions) are like assholes - everyone's got one.

Now can you drop it? Or do you have to keep trying to prove I said something I didn't.

CkG

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Actually this is reason i have slowed down my posting here. I consider myself(and hopefully i am right) to open minded when it comes to political debate. You and others often disreguard things you dont agree with, gloss over the things that lie in the middle and continually post only the things you agree with.
That's an interesting comment, since I would say the exact same thing. Perhaps neither of us appear to others to be as open-minded as we see ourselves. And, for the record, I have expressed agreement with Bush in a few cases. Not often, but I have no qualms about doing so when he does something "right" (IMO, of course).

I also think I have been more willing than most to acknowledge the validity of other points of view and to recognize that sometimes we must simply agree to disagree on matters of opinion. Perhaps I am fooling myself.

I read the kay report and saw that our intel was faulty, but is was not completely wrong either.
The kay report did not let Bush or Saddam off the hook. You and others only saw the faulty intel and ignored Saddams non compliance.

I don't remember expressing much of an opinion about the Kay report. Perhaps that's because my position has always been a little different from most people opposed to the invasion. Most people seem to oppose the war because Bush&Co. lied about Iraq's WMDs. I agree that the lies taint the Bush administration and everything related to the invasion. I've spent a lot of time and effort trying to document that Bush&Co lied. But the lying per se is not the main reason I opposed the invasion.

From the beginning, I said it was NOT important whether Iraq had WMDs or not. My position was that we had inspections and containment processes in place to learn the truth and to keep Iraq from becoming a threat. The invasion should have been a last resort and was not justified. I also said from the beginning that Iraq was the wrong target re. terrorism, and that invading Iraq would probably increase our risk of terrorist attack. Finally, I said that it was reckless and inappropriate, perhaps illegal, for the United States to act unilaterally without the express direction of the United Nations.

My point here is not to hash through these issues again, but simply to reiterate my position. Given my position, the Kay report was largely a non-event. It did show that Bush&Co. claims about Iraq's WMDs were largely wrong. It also showed that Iraq was concealing information from the U.N. inspectors. This wasn't terribly noteworthy to me, it was consistent with my position and my expectations. Obviously Iraq was trying to conceal its activities. We would too if the tables were turned. It also didn't surprise me that Iraq wasn't complying with all of the terms of the U.N. resolution. I never felt mere non-compliance justified an invasion.

Anway, that's my perspective on my response to the Kay report. If you believe I responded differently, I am sincerely interested in seeing where and why. If there are similar issues in the future, I invite you to point them out to me. Since we both see ourselves as open-minded, let's help each other out. I will make every effort to remain civil and constructive as long as you return the courtesy to me.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
That's an interesting comment, since I would say the exact same thing. Perhaps neither of us appear to others to be as open-minded as we see ourselves. And, for the record, I have expressed agreement with Bush in a few cases. Not often, but I have no qualms about doing so when he does something "right" (IMO, of course).

I also think I have been more willing than most to acknowledge the validity of other points of view and to recognize that sometimes we must simply agree to disagree on matters of opinion. Perhaps I am fooling myself.

I don't remember expressing much of an opinion about the Kay report. Perhaps that's because my position has always been a little different from most people opposed to the invasion. Most people seem to oppose the war because Bush&Co. lied about Iraq's WMDs. I agree that the lies taint the Bush administration and everything related to the invasion. I've spent a lot of time and effort trying to document that Bush&Co lied. But the lying per se is not the main reason I opposed the invasion.

From the beginning, I said it was NOT important whether Iraq had WMDs or not. My position was that we had inspections and containment processes in place to learn the truth and to keep Iraq from becoming a threat. The invasion should have been a last resort and was not justified. I also said from the beginning that Iraq was the wrong target re. terrorism, and that invading Iraq would probably increase our risk of terrorist attack. Finally, I said that it was reckless and inappropriate, perhaps illegal, for the United States to act unilaterally without the express direction of the United Nations.

My point here is not to hash through these issues again, but simply to reiterate my position. Given my position, the Kay report was largely a non-event. It did show that Bush&Co. claims about Iraq's WMDs were largely wrong. It also showed that Iraq was concealing information from the U.N. inspectors. This wasn't terribly noteworthy to me, it was consistent with my position and my expectations. Obviously Iraq was trying to conceal its activities. We would too if the tables were turned. It also didn't surprise me that Iraq wasn't complying with all of the terms of the U.N. resolution. I never felt mere non-compliance justified an invasion.

Anway, that's my perspective on my response to the Kay report. If you believe I responded differently, I am sincerely interested in seeing where and why. If there are similar issues in the future, I invite you to point them out to me. Since we both see ourselves as open-minded, let's help each other out. I will make every effort to remain civil and constructive as long as you return the courtesy to me.

I have always kept debate civil, even when the other side is not. I agree with some of your points and some i disagree with. I doubt either of us want to go over them ad nauseum again.

In the end I think the right thing has been done and we will have to disagree on that.
But just remember, compliance would have solved the issue as well( and the UN did demand this).