Liebermann: Everything's Copacetic!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Link.

Lieberman ?Reassured? on Pakistani Nuclear Security

U.S. Senator Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.) said he felt more confident in the security of Pakistan?s nuclear arsenal after meeting yesterday with Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, Agence France-Presse reported (see GSN, Jan. 9).

The senator said top Pakistani military officials gave him a ?detailed and explicit? briefing in Islamabad on measures in place to secure the country?s nuclear weapons stockpile.

?I was impressed by the specific explanation I had about the system that is in place here,? Lieberman said following the meeting.

?There are some who have expressed concerns about the security of the Pakistani nuclear arsenal,? he said in reference to concerns voiced recently by International Atomic Energy Agency head Mohamed ElBaradei about the safety of Pakistan?s nuclear weapons amid the current political chaos gripping the country.

?Overall I felt reassured ? and I will take that message back to Congress,? Lieberman said (Agence France-Presse/Google News, Jan. 9).

The White House said there is no risk of terrorists obtaining one or more nuclear weapons from Pakistan?s nuclear arsenal, Asian News International reported.

?At this time, as far as I know, it is the assessment of the intelligence community that Pakistan?s weapons arsenal is secure,? White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said (Asian News International/New Kerala, Jan. 9).

Ever since the early/mid '50's, when Jawarhal Nehru was trying to positon India as the leader of the "non-aligned" nations 'tween the Rooskies and US, Pakistan has gleefully pimped itself to us as a staunch
ally of the West in order to get beaucoup arms and aid (mostly to use against India).

Come the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan et voila, a brand new "reason" for arms.

Propped up by our aid, and principally because of a nuclear arms race with India (India has the bomb, too, you know), Pakistan went all out to also go nuclear, and has succeeded.

Nobody, not the British, never the central Pakistani government, and not anyone else has ever "ruled" over the principally Pashtun provinces abutting Afghanistan.

These days, there seems to be some "unrest" of sorts there. ;)

Recent indications are that the jihadists/Taliban/militant fundies there have set their sights on bringing down the military/"secular" Pakistani government.

The whole situation is greatly complicated by the fact that the beloved patriot security services, the ISI, have tons of religious sympathizers in them.

But not to fear, me hearties! Pervez Musharraf his own damn self has taken the time out of his busy schedule to assure none other than Sen. Joe Liebermann that we have NOTHING to worry about!

I wonder what jokes Musharraf made with his staff about Liebermann, a jew, after Joe left the room.

(And yeah, I know, "beloved patriot" is a semi-slur for Pakistanis in England -- I just got tired of typing.)

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Perknose
Link.

Lieberman ?Reassured? on Pakistani Nuclear Security

U.S. Senator Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.) said he felt more confident in the security of Pakistan?s nuclear arsenal after meeting yesterday with Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, Agence France-Presse reported (see GSN, Jan. 9).

The senator said top Pakistani military officials gave him a ?detailed and explicit? briefing in Islamabad on measures in place to secure the country?s nuclear weapons stockpile.

?I was impressed by the specific explanation I had about the system that is in place here,? Lieberman said following the meeting.

?There are some who have expressed concerns about the security of the Pakistani nuclear arsenal,? he said in reference to concerns voiced recently by International Atomic Energy Agency head Mohamed ElBaradei about the safety of Pakistan?s nuclear weapons amid the current political chaos gripping the country.

?Overall I felt reassured ? and I will take that message back to Congress,? Lieberman said (Agence France-Presse/Google News, Jan. 9).

The White House said there is no risk of terrorists obtaining one or more nuclear weapons from Pakistan?s nuclear arsenal, Asian News International reported.

?At this time, as far as I know, it is the assessment of the intelligence community that Pakistan?s weapons arsenal is secure,? White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said (Asian News International/New Kerala, Jan. 9).

Ever since the early/mid '50's, when Jawarhal Nehru was trying to positon India as the leader of the "non-aligned" nations 'tween the Rooskies and US, Pakistan has gleefully pimped itself to us as a staunch
ally of the West in order to get beaucoup arms and aid (mostly to use against India).

Come the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan et voila, a brand new "reason" for arms.

Propped up by our aid, and principally because of a nuclear arms race with India (India has the bomb, too, you know), Pakistan went all out to also go nuclear, and has succeeded.

Nobody, not the British, never the central Pakistani government, and not anyone else has ever "ruled" over the principally Pashtun provinces abutting Afghanistan.

These days, there seems to be some "unrest" of sorts there. ;)

Recent indications are that the jihadists/Taliban/militant fundies there have set their sights on bringing down the military/"secular" Pakistani government.

The whole situation is greatly complicated by the fact that the beloved patriot security services, the ISI, have tons of religious sympathizers in them.

But not to fear, me hearties! Pervez Musharraf his own damn self has taken the time out of his busy schedule to assure none other than Sen. Joe Liebermann that we have NOTHING to worry about!

I wonder what jokes Musharraf made with his staff about Liebermann, a jew, after Joe left the room.

(And yeah, I know, "beloved patriot" is a semi-slur for Pakistanis in England -- I just got tired of typing.)

And yeah, I know, "Perk" is a semi-slur for Perknose..... in England