Lieberman Choice for President Dangerous?

Marty

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
CNN article

Would the choice of Joe Lieberman for president be a dangerous one? For those of you who don't know, Lieberman is an orthodox Jew, just like Sharon, who is currently the prime minister in Israel. I fear that his connection to Israel would comprimise his ability to act in the intrest of the American people.

Already he has come out in support of military action in Iraq, moreso than anyone other than the president, perhaps. In the case of the Palestinian conflict, his position is abundantly clear - some view him as a potential standard-bearer for the Israeli position in the conflict (Article). Taking a stronger pro-Israel position would alienate us further from the rest of the world, which does not have the one-sided view of Israeli innocence and Palestinian guilt that the majority of Americans do. Meanwhile, his recent appearance on a Sunday poltical show (from Tel Aviv, no less), he downplayed the North Korean threat to the extent that he called for the reunification of the two Koreas. On the same show, he strongly supported action against Iraq.

It seems to me that with Lieberman guiding the nation, the priorities of the administration will be apart from those we should rightfully expect. Any thoughts?

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
yeh he is dangerous. Imagine if every time he gave a state of the union address, how many people would get hurt because they fell asleep and hit thier head on some furniture.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
The only thing Lieberman is dangerous to is the Democratic Party.....and if they are stupid enough to give him the nomination then I will rejoice as it will mean another 4 years of Republicans.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Taking a stronger pro-Israel position would alienate us further from the rest of the world, which does not have the one-sided view of Israeli innocence and Palestinian guilt that the majority of Americans do. Meanwhile, his recent appearance on a Sunday poltical show (from Tel Aviv, no less), he downplayed the North Korean threat to the extent that he called for the reunification of the two Koreas. On the same show, he strongly supported action against Iraq.

It seems to me that with Lieberman guiding the nation, the priorities of the administration will be apart from those we should rightfully expect. Any thoughts?

Hmm, a stance that matches how "the majority of Americans" feel would be a nice change of pace, maybe he'd listen to the citizens instead of the oil companies and crooked CEOs.

I probably wouldn't vote for him though, since my impression of him is a liberal as skewed to the left as Herr Kommandant Ashcroft is to the right. I'm hoping the Dems are wise enough to pick someone more moderate, then I might vote Dem as the lesser evil.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Ronstang
The only thing Lieberman is dangerous to is the Democratic Party.....and if they are stupid enough to give him the nomination then I will rejoice as it will mean another 4 years of Republicans.

He's closer to a Republican in my book. I despise the PTC.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Marty
CNN article

Would the choice of Joe Lieberman for president be a dangerous one? For those of you who don't know, Lieberman is an orthodox Jew, just like Sharon, who is currently the prime minister in Israel. I fear that his connection to Israel would comprimise his ability to act in the intrest of the American people.

Sharon is not religious, let alone Orthodox.

EDIT: I would never vote for the guy.

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
I probably wouldn't vote for him though, since my impression of him is a liberal as skewed to the left as Herr Kommandant Ashcroft is to the right. I'm hoping the Dems are wise enough to pick someone more moderate, then I might vote Dem as the lesser evil.

Well said.

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
The man is not electable - he looks and sounds funny - just like Paul Tsongas did.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Lieberman isn't particularly liberal IMHO and would make an excellent president.

And you speak about the rest of the world, as far as I know, there is only one part of the world that thinks it's cool to strap dynamite on children and send them out to kill and maim other children..

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
I would never ever vote for a jewish president. if you think we have enough problems with the terrorists now, just wait until we get a jewish president. There is also no way that he could come across with doing anything positive in the middle east. He would always be a zionist to that region and they would be unwilling to work with us for any sort of peace.

Oct 16, 1999
Liberman being elected would be just as bad as Bush getting re-elected. Bad in a completely different way mind you, but still bad. I hope Edwards gets the nod and the win.

xuanman

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2002
he's a conservative liberal. he's probably moderate enough to get a lot of votes in a general election. but he probably isn't electable b/c he would have a hard time winning in southern states that most likely won't vote for a jew.

schizoid

Banned
May 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
I would never ever vote for a jewish president. if you think we have enough problems with the terrorists now, just wait until we get a jewish president. There is also no way that he could come across with doing anything positive in the middle east. He would always be a zionist to that region and they would be unwilling to work with us for any sort of peace.

God bless America.

To think, I can live in a country so great where morons like this can roam freely without being herded up and stuck into camps.

PS: I'm being serious here. In other parts of the world, they have "stupid camps", where the ignorant, the moronic and the just plain annoying are rounded up and forced to do menial labor and watch reruns of "Mama's Family". Not in this country though. We let our morons have computers and access to the internet! I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!

He stated a few weeks ago that he was in favor of a Palestinian state.
Now mind you, I hate his guts, he has flip flopped on to many issues, one day he is in favor of something, the media speaks out and the next day VOILA !, he is now against it :|

(Is it mandatory that politicians have to lie all the time ?)

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: schizoid

God bless America.

To think, I can live in a country so great where morons like this can roam freely without being herded up and stuck into camps.

PS: I'm being serious here. In other parts of the world, they have "stupid camps", where the ignorant, the moronic and the just plain annoying are rounded up and forced to do menial labor and watch reruns of "Mama's Family". Not in this country though. We let our morons have computers and access to the internet! I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!

Don't worry, 44 years ago they were saying that a Catholic could never be elected President and if somehow one was he would be in the grip of the Pope in Rome. JFK went on to show how wrong that common wisdom was. There are a lot of issues I disagree with Lieberman on but I am not the least bit concerned about his religion.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
How did I do a double post? Damn.

Well, I say Damn Yes, because I think there's a conflict of interest with Israel. With a Jew for a Prez, the US would make an even bigger bullseye around itself.

Plus, the right to shoot people/creatures/inanimate objects using a computer/video game console would probably come to an end.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999

I'm certainly glad to see that you are a much better person than him and aren't racist.

:|

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: bozo1
The man is not electable - he looks and sounds funny - just like Paul Tsongas did.

Anyone remember the Saturday Night Live skit from the 92 Democratic primary campaign? The campaigning at the Star Trek convention.

Tsongas - I don't care what the other candidates say. I'm the real Star Trek fan. :)

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
I think Lieberman is a great choice for the Democratic nomination! I sure hope he makes it.

<-- votes Republican

Cheney had enough fun with him during the Vice-Presidential debates. I can't wait to see him in front of a camera again. :D

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I would be strongly tempted to vote for Bush over Lieberman if he runs because I'd just as soon vote for the real Republican rather than the wannabe.