Libertarian Islands anyone?

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
The government will claim the next al qaeda attack came from one of those islands.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Makes at least as much sense as "The Clock of the Long Now."

The places would be so tiny I imagine their only real business would be as a banking haven, and that's going to be very tough to do without favorable treaties. Treaties no other country has the least incentive to enter into.

Or they could make it like Disneyland for the pocket protector/gun carressing crowd.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sounds pretty cool, can't imagine moving there because of its size, but if they ever expand these things to be the size of maybe Hawaii I'd consider it.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
There's just something a bit oxymoronic about an "artificial libertarian island".

Call me crazy, but I don't think this will work.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
The places would be so tiny I imagine their only real business would be as a banking haven, and that's going to be very tough to do without favorable treaties. Treaties no other country has the least incentive to enter into.

Countries where the islanders are politically connected would still enter into agreements.

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
bioshock-big-daddy.jpg

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Floating? Check
Unmoored? Check
Lax/no building codes? Check

Yeah, that'll be safe.

Let's see how many "peons" want to live there with no minimum wage. How many women will want to live their with no "moral code"? One of three things will happen:
1) It will be a true Libertarian paradise and noone will live there b/c of murders, rape, and other violent crime;
2) You will undergo searches, background checks, etc to board so it will not be a Libertarian paradise, it will be a police state; or,
3) Only those who can afford private security will go there meaning it's not a sovereign Libertarian nation, it's just a rich folks' country club.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Makes at least as much sense as "The Clock of the Long Now."

Or they could make it like Disneyland for the pocket protector/gun carressing crowd.

I disagree.

The lack of treaties is VERY attractive for those looking to offshore money. That's why many such islands countries grew into big offshore banking centers - no treaties. I'm pretty sure over the last few years we've forced them into some cooperation treaties. If so, all the better for these new banking centers.

Otherwise, and back OT - sounds pretty interesting to me.

Fern

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
So it's kind of like libertarianism meets ayn rand's atlas shrugged? Didn't read the book or watch movie but isn't the premise that capitalists want to make their own utopia?

Funny how they (Rand and libertarians) never got along.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
1) It will be a true Libertarian paradise and noone will live there b/c of murders, rape, and other violent crime;

It's pretty hard to conceive how you even come up with this notion, unless you're one of those people that thinks the only reason crime doesn't happen somewhere is because there's a law against it, of course then you'd have to completely ignore the fact that rape and murder are illegal in most places but still happen.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
It's pretty hard to conceive how you even come up with this notion, unless you're one of those people that thinks the only reason crime doesn't happen somewhere is because there's a law against it, of course then you'd have to completely ignore the fact that rape and murder are illegal in most places but still happen.

Not to mention that in a 100% libertarian society their would still be private security / police, private courts etc

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Not to mention that in a 100% libertarian society their would still be private security / police, private courts etc

Yip. The first, and surest sign that someone doesn't have a clue is when they compare libertarianism to anarchy.