Liberated Iraq calls on Arab states to use oil as 'weapon' against U.S.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/1...-arab-states-to-use-oil-as-weapon-against-us/

Liberated Iraq calls on Arab states to use oil as 'weapon' against U.S.

A top Iraqi diplomat urged Arab states to “use the weapon of oil” against the United States because of its alliance with Israel, raising more questions about the Middle Eastern nation's allegiance to the nation that freed it from a ruthless dictatorship.

The shocking statement from a democratic government in power only after the U.S. and allies ousted murderous dictator Saddam Hussein in a costly and bloody war laid bare the Middle Eastern nation’s true allegiance.

"Iraq will invite (Arab) ministers to use the weapon of oil, with the aim of asserting real pressure on the United States and whoever stands with Israel," Qais al-Azzawy told reporters in Cairo on Friday.

"The economic weapon is the strongest one to be put into effect now, to assure of standing by the Palestinian people, in light of there being no military power that can stand in the face of Israel at the present time,” he added.

Pretty wild that I posted a Fox News story, isn't it?

I would just like to say, thanks, Bush!

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
As I've been saying for years -- we need to become energy independent through local drilling, coal mining, natural gas, etc. plus continuing to develop and deploy solar, wind, tidal, hydro, and geothermal energy. Then we can give the entire Middle East the finger and let them fuck themselves into oblivion.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
As I've been saying for years -- we need to become energy independent through local drilling, coal mining, natural gas, etc. plus continuing to develop and deploy solar, wind, tidal, hydro, and geothermal energy. Then we can give the entire Middle East the finger and let them fuck themselves into oblivion.

Well some parts don't make sense. We have been energy independent in coal for many years. We have so much natural gas we are capping wells because there is no demand. We have exploited the bulk of our hydro.
The others, solar, wind and tidal all would be replacements for the ones we are already independent in but produce fewer pollutants.

The best thing we can do to be more energy independent is by buying cars that use less gas.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Well some parts don't make sense. We have been energy independent in coal for many years. We have so much natural gas we are capping wells because there is no demand. We have exploited the bulk of our hydro.
The others, solar, wind and tidal all would be replacements for the ones we are already independent in but produce fewer pollutants.

The best thing we can do to be more energy independent is by buying cars that use less gas.

I'm saying all options should be explored so we do not have to import (and, thus, depend on) energy from other nations.

sonicdrummer20

Jul 2, 2008
Well thats fine, let them use their oil, we can just use our nuke to settle this little matter. I think its time we polished Iraq anyways, just turn it into one giant glass parking lot.

superccs

Dec 29, 2004
Good idea sand troll, make your resource unreliable and watch us flip you the bird in a couple years and stop using it.

Nuke from orbit.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003

That will only work if we use our own resources here instead of selling them on the world market. Unfortunately that will only happen if we nationalize those markets, mainly oil.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
That will only work if we use our own resources here instead of selling them on the world market. Unfortunately that will only happen if we nationalize those markets, mainly oil.

I've suggested that all public lands be drilled on a cost plus fee basis and skip bidding with other nations for our own oil. Otherwise it's like a farmer selling his produce at wholesale so he can buy it back at supermarket prices.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000

Exactly. Look at Canada. They are actually energy independent with respect to oil as in they export more than they import. What does it actually get them their gas when you normalize for taxes is no cheaper than it is here so what has it really gotten them. Oil is a global commodity.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Too bad for them we get our oil mostly from Canada and Mexico. They can't single out the US, they would have to slow down all the world economies with high gas prices. As western countries look for gas alternatives, high gas prices just make other technologies more affordable. OPEC uses these oil profits for their national funding so if oil demand drops they are going to be in it deep. They need the money more than we need the oil I think.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Good thing we pissed away all that cash in Iraq which is one of the major contributers to our National deficit.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Pretty wild that I posted a Fox News story, isn't it?

I would just like to say, thanks, Bush!

See, you did like Bush. Him and the other Neocons you want running the GOP in place of 'radical' tea party extremists.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
See, you did like Bush. Him and the other Neocons you want running the GOP in place of 'radical' tea party extremists.

I'm not sure which group is crazier the ones who love to kill Brown people or the ones from the flat Earth Society.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Oil is an internationally traded commodity. Regardless of from where we retrieve our crude, it is still dictated by international forces and OPEC.

"Energy Independence" is a pipe dream that serves to get the sheep all riled up.

Now, if you want true energy independence, you have to talk nuclear, wind, solar, hydroelectric, etc. Oil needs to be a distant memory because it is truly finite. I know that can't happen now, of course--yet another pipe dream--but it will have to.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I've suggested that all public lands be drilled on a cost plus fee basis and skip bidding with other nations for our own oil. Otherwise it's like a farmer selling his produce at wholesale so he can buy it back at supermarket prices.

I stand behind your policy, I'm afraid our leaders don't.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
The big reason oil will still be used for a long time as opposed to other energy sources is because the by products of oil can be used to make other things. Say for example we really did have a Tony Stark that built an arc reactor that produced completely green and renewable energy, the world would still need to use oil. Too many unique polymer are in the substance that are used to make tons of stuff like plastic. Just saying for those that didn't know that.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
The U.S buys very little oil from the Middle East. Incidentally, if the Arabs don't sell oil, what else can they sell? Last time I check, extremism doesn't buy bread.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
meh I would be more concerned if they were saying America is the light of the world.

crunkzilla

Mar 30, 2012
The big reason oil will still be used for a long time as opposed to other energy sources is because the by products of oil can be used to make other things. Say for example we really did have a Tony Stark that built an arc reactor that produced completely green and renewable energy, the world would still need to use oil. Too many unique polymer are in the substance that are used to make tons of stuff like plastic. Just saying for those that didn't know that.

Werent they able to produce plastics from corn plants a couple years back? Only reason its not in wide use is because its cheaper to use oil for now, but who knows in the future when oil is more scarce.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Actually, it doesn't really matter what Iraqi Leadership says about the US. The important thing is elections are fair, and accurate, and that the people there are properly represented by their Leadership.

If the Iraqis hate our guts as a people, and elect Leadership that reps that, I'm really Ok with that. Countries don't have to like us, and we don't have to like them. I'd much rather have a country have free fair open and accurate elections, and have that turn out to a country that has a Don't call me even if you're on fire attitude, than have elections that are the opposite, their people hate us, and hate their own oppressive Leadership.

Chuck