Liberals, Dems, etc. Please come in...

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I just want to get into your head. I want to understand. I want to understand how you all support a President who wants to bring America's 50-year lead in space to an end. How do you support a President who wants to basically gut NASA and end all manned space flight? How do you support a President who wants to kill thousands of white-collar jobs (going to really educated people) in favor of giving more money to the unproductive, the welfare recipients, etc.? Oh, and what about all the kids in schools throughout the USA who aspired to be "rocket scientists" for NASA? What do you say to them now?

Please, I just want to hear your arguments.

Oh, and how do you react to this article?

In an open letter, 21 former astronauts and six others say Obama is ‘throwing away’ America’s dominance in human spaceflight. The president has outlined major changes to the NASA space program.

I guess these heroes of space flight are all idiot, douches, right?

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
What I really want to know, and I mean this sincerely - it's an honest question - when did you stop beating your wife?

- wolf

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
What I really want to know, and I mean this sincerely - it's an honest question - when did you stop beating your wife?

- wolf

Not even relevant to the post. I know it's hard to focus sometimes, but you can at least attempt to try.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
To be fair, Obama was remarkably honest in telling us how he was going to fundamentally transform America.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Not even relevant to the post. I know it's hard to focus sometimes, but you can at least attempt to try.

You don't see the relevance? Perhaps I should create my own thread, wherein I pretend to be genuinely interested in the opinions of people on the right, but frame it as a series of loaded questions which are really just accusations and opinions framed as questions. Maybe then you'd see the relevance. I don't think anyone should answer these questions because they aren't sincere.

- wolf

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

- wolf

While I think the phrasing of the OP invites your response, one can legitimately question the priorities of this or any other President. I certainly do with each and every one, including Obama.

I hold with the old "liberals" of the 60's who questioned authority. I think that is a patriotic duty.

Nevertheless, I tend to agree that Obama is being short sighted with manned space flight. Highly technical fields don't survive "we'll do that someday" because people with expertise do not pass it to the next generation. They simply do something else.

Considering the amount of money politicians pass out with a dump truck, the investment in keeping current is minimal.

Science always gets screwed though. It's an easy target.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
How much does it cost to go to the moon?
What is the value for going to the moon? What are the tangible rewards for going to the moon?
What in the budget that benefits you that are you willing to give up to go to the moon?

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
While I think the phrasing of the OP invites your response, one can legitimately question the priorities of this or any other President. I certainly do with each and every one, including Obama.

I hold with the old "liberals" of the 60's who questioned authority. I think that is a patriotic duty.

Nevertheless, I tend to agree that Obama is being short sighted with manned space flight. Highly technical fields don't survive "we'll do that someday" because people with expertise do not pass it to the next generation. They simply do something else.

Considering the amount of money politicians pass out with a dump truck, the investment in keeping current is minimal.

Science always gets screwed though. It's an easy target.

Of course any President's priorities can be questioned. I just get annoyed when someone posts a series of polemical talking points as a supposed sincere inquiry. If you want to post an opinion, post an opinion. I don't care what it is. Just don't pretend it's something else.

I'm not real happy about his position on space flight either, BTW. I'll be a lot happier if he ultimately backs it up by cutting into lots of other programs as well because then at least there's consistency.

- wolf

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Of course any President's priorities can be questioned. I just get annoyed when someone posts a series of polemical talking points as a supposed sincere inquiry. If you want to post an opinion, post an opinion. I don't care what it is. Just don't pretend it's something else.

I'm not real happy about his position on space flight either, BTW. I'll be a lot happier if he ultimately backs it up by cutting into lots of other programs as well because then at least there's consistency.

- wolf

Unfortunately this is how P&N is. I'm working on what I sent you a PM about.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
By all means let us relive the past and spend the next 50yrs orbiting the earth or perhaps traveling to the moon again, and lets build some more weapons of war and kill some more of our ideological enemys? After all that is so much more fun than solving our energy dependency on foriegn oil, or finding a cure for cancer!

And by spending our precious dollars on more chest thumping triumpths like circling a rock in space more times than any other country we get the added bennie of having our aged chest thumping heros entertain us by dancing with the stars

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Seems that they have made some changes on the plan

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/13/obama-revives-capsule-canceled-moon-program/

They are going to focus on getting a heavy lift rocket quicker than they would have in the previous plan.

It seems that politicians make as good scientists as physicians, funding for political gain.

They ought to get people who are experienced in the field and ask them what the basic needs are for a sound program, then fund that.

Not the first time I've suggested something of the kind, and not the last that it will be ignored.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
You don't see the relevance? Perhaps I should create my own thread, wherein I pretend to be genuinely interested in the opinions of people on the right, but frame it as a series of loaded questions which are really just accusations and opinions framed as questions. Maybe then you'd see the relevance. I don't think anyone should answer these questions because they aren't sincere.

- wolf

So, you didn't like his presentation and you were throwing a fit. Gotcha. Carry on.

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
Is it possible to support the President while disagreeing with him on this issue? Does it have to be all or nothing, with Obama or Bush or anyone?

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Is it possible to support the President while disagreeing with him on this issue? Does it have to be all or nothing, with Obama or Bush or anyone?

Man, that's some serious brainwashing.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
all or nothing.

and on a side-note, only racists disagree with Obama on the issues.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
My understanding was that Obama hasn't yet formally announced his intentions for NASA, other than to do say repeating something we already did 50 years ago isn't work the time or money.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I just want to get into your head. I want to understand. I want to understand how you all support a President who wants to bring America's 50-year lead in space to an end. How do you support a President who wants to basically gut NASA and end all manned space flight? How do you support a President who wants to kill thousands of white-collar jobs (going to really educated people) in favor of giving more money to the unproductive, the welfare recipients, etc.? Oh, and what about all the kids in schools throughout the USA who aspired to be "rocket scientists" for NASA? What do you say to them now?

Democrats hate science? Sure. Republicans seem to hate it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5N8f-6tnEw

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004

Please, I just want to hear your arguments.

Oh, and how do you react to this article?

In an open letter, 21 former astronauts and six others say Obama is ‘throwing away’ America’s dominance in human spaceflight. The president has outlined major changes to the NASA space program.

I guess these heroes of space flight are all idiot, douches, right?

Not one of the title's aformentioned, etc. but, stepping aside is not a step backwards.
We need to adapt the way others have adapted to us.

Why pay for the cow, when you can get the milk for free?

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
To be fair, Obama was remarkably honest in telling us how he was going to fundamentally transform America.

Yes he did and the choice was made it was clear cut. Thing is Bambi never did say how he was going to do it . Now your getting an idea how . America wakes up with egg on face,

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Democrats hate science? Sure. Republicans seem to hate it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5N8f-6tnEw

Please tell me how your link is related to OPs question. Your link seems to really expand upon the idea of Women having the rights to Murder an unborn child . The Best science I can offer for this and at same to give advice to women is don't get pregnent . Don't put yourself in that position to have to make a choice you really have NO right to make.

This isn't science and calling it such is an affront against inteligence. This is in reality an argument against morality. No science here.