Liberalism gone Amok: California destroys business climate by prosecuting employers for violating "safety laws"

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
from the New York Times

Yes, this kind of persecution of businessmen is good for the states economy...:disgust:

Every workplace death or serious injury in California is investigated with an eye to potential prosecution. That work is done by a special Cal OSHA unit, mostly former police officers, whose members are required by law to refer every death to local prosecutors if there is credible evidence of a deliberate safety violation.

Federal law sets a far more exclusive standard: only the most egregious workplace deaths ? those caused by an employer's "willful" safety violations ? can be referred to the Justice Department. But as The New York Times found in an eight-month examination of workplace death in the United States, in even those worst cases, the federal OSHA only rarely seeks prosecution.

It is largely the same story in the other states that run their own workplace safety programs. California has prosecuted more employers for safety violations than all of those states combined, The Times found.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
from the New York Times

Yes, this kind of persecution of businessmen is good for the states economy...:disgust:

Every workplace death or serious injury in California is investigated with an eye to potential prosecution. That work is done by a special Cal OSHA unit, mostly former police officers, whose members are required by law to refer every death to local prosecutors if there is credible evidence of a deliberate safety violation.

Federal law sets a far more exclusive standard: only the most egregious workplace deaths ? those caused by an employer's "willful" safety violations ? can be referred to the Justice Department. But as The New York Times found in an eight-month examination of workplace death in the United States, in even those worst cases, the federal OSHA only rarely seeks prosecution.

It is largely the same story in the other states that run their own workplace safety programs. California has prosecuted more employers for safety violations than all of those states combined, The Times found.
I take it you are being sarcastic

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
from the New York Times

Looks like Santa left you a clue in your stocking this year.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
from the New York Times

Looks like Santa left you a clue in your stocking this year.
Beats your lump of coal!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

Beats your lump of coal!

..not when "brown-out" season starts in la la land. :)
He lives in La La Land?

No, I thought you did...my mistake, sir. :)

Wonder where I got that idea from...
I use to live there but I thought I'd move to a place that is even more liberal so here I am in MA, Land of Kennedy and Barney Frank LOL:)

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001

Federal law sets a far more exclusive standard: only the most egregious workplace deaths ? those caused by an employer's "willful" safety violations ? can be referred to the Justice Department.

Maybe I missed something by not reading the article . . . but what's the difference between deliberate and willful?

Jan 12, 2003

I use to live there but I thought I'd move to a place that is even more liberal so here I am in MA, Land of Kennedy and Barney Frank LOL:)

Believe it or not, I like Barney Frank...plays the game well. Isn't he gay? I would have never guessed, but I do believe I heard him state that on the record...never really looked into it, but would be interesting to know.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Since when has responsibility and punishment been been concepts embraced by liberals?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Reading the entire article, particularly the bottom of page 5 and top of page 6, gives insight into the basis for criminal charges. The farm owner had been educated as to the danger of confined spaces and the proper precautions, yet failed to provide for his employees' safety. That *is* negligence in legal terms.

That's not to say I think the guy should go to jail, not at all, but if it takes this kind of prosecution to increase safety for unsuspecting workers, then that's what it takes.

Few office workers have the vaguest comprehension of the safety issues involved for industrial and agricultural workers. No idea whatsoever. And it doesn't help when the "not good for Business" whiners come out of the woodwork. Dead/mangled/poisoned workers aren't any better, unless they can be disposed of quietly.

If California is at the vanguard, then Texas is pretty much at the other end. Google Tyler pipe for a little eye-opener.... GWB Inc. helped shape Texas policy, so if that's that you want, you know how to vote.