Liberal Ninth Circuit Says Open-Carrying A Gun Is A Constitutional Right

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
When conservatives ran California open carry scared them and the NRA for some reason,

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nra-california-open-carry-ban/

mulford-act-meme.jpg

Gun control in American has always been about those in power trying to keep the little people in check, especially minorities, and gun shooting tragedies are an effective means to bring about such laws especially when children are involved.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
That works for cops, why not the rest of us?
I suppose that we could be like the cops which one could argue happened in FL, but I'm going in the other direction and saying there's no justification by anyone shooting another unless it's extreme circumstances and so apply to police too.

If you are black, white, whatever you deserve proper treatment by authorities and I'd like to see independent review of police actions independent of any person or government beholden to them.

Apr 27, 2012
This is great. The gun control thugs aren't going to like this. Conceal carry is better than open carry since it doesn't really make sense to open carry but if people want to then it's their right.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
This is great. The gun control thugs aren't going to like this. Conceal carry is better than open carry since it doesn't really make sense to open carry but if people want to then it's their right.
Right? Where's Mikey now? Probably crying in the UK somewhere over a soymilk latte, wondering how to put his new computer chair together without a screwdriver since he threw his in the trash out of fears of it being confiscated.

Kobota

Aug 5, 2003
Open carry is proof that the constitution is outdated in the modern world, and using it to address modern problems is pure foolishness.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If a well regulated militia is ‘I get to own a gun’, I can see no reason why I shouldn't be able to carry it and any way I want.

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
OK. Now with that said anyone who abuses the priviledge needs to lost that right and face the strongest possible criminal repercussions. No "well he skeered me so I shot him".

I’d like to see accidental discharges prosecuted as a felony.

If a kid brings dads gun out to school even just to show off I’d like the parent(s) prosecuted as a felony as well.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Apr 27, 2012
Open carry is proof that the constitution is outdated in the modern world, and using it to address modern problems is pure foolishness.

STFU. You should be ashamed of yourself for wanting to take away rights from innocent people.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
I’d like to see accidental discharges prosecuted as a felony.

If a kid brings dads gun out to school even just to show off I’d like the parent(s) prosecuted as a felony as well.
I've heard that the state of NJ passed a law where every single gun has to be fingerprint activated when the technology is mature enough. That should solve your problem. Whether it infringes on the state's citizens' 2A rights is another story.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I've heard that the state of NJ passed a law where every single gun has to be fingerprint activated when the technology is mature enough. That should solve your problem. Whether it infringes on the state's citizens' 2A rights is another story.

Two words: Well regulated

My first problem is accidental shootings.
My second is people who have no business having access to guns getting access to a gun.

Strict criminal penalties for failing to secure your weapon will never ever impact a responsible gun owner. Right?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
STFU. You should be ashamed of yourself for wanting to take away rights from innocent people.
Why do you say that. If the people come to the same conclusion as he has and push for and pass an amendment to repeal the 2nd, there will be no right to carry a gun or own one. The constitution will then read that laws that prevent gun ownership are perfectly legal to pass. No rights will be violated.

People should have the right to self defense and if people come to the conclusion that the best way to defend themselves is to remove the right to own guns as a measure of self defense because it is a lesser danger to do that than the danger presented by mass gun killings on schools etc., then the people have a right to put that change into the constitution by amendment. The process to do so is spelled out.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

My second is people who have no business having access to guns getting access to a gun.

Strict criminal penalties for failing to secure your weapon will never ever impact a responsible gun owner. Right?
I don't mind strict penalties as long as they don't unfairly prohibit gun owners from buying a firearm.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Just ask Tamir Rice and John Crawford how open carry works if you are black. Both in Ohio where open carry is legal

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

And that's the entire issue in a nut shell. There are a lot of people that shouldn't be armed simply because they don't have the capacity to understand the responsibility involved, or the circumstances under which they can use a gun. I don't actually have an issue with firearms, but I do have an enormous issue with who gets to carry them.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Just ask Tamir Rice and John Crawford how open carry works if you are black. Both in Ohio where open carry is legal

Open carry wasn't the problem. The problem lies with (1) how the justice system is set up to protect cops no matter what and (2) how cops are taught to live in constant extreme fear

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
And that's the entire issue in a nut shell. There are a lot of people that shouldn't be armed simply because they don't have the capacity to understand the responsibility involved, or the circumstances under which they can use a gun. I don't actually have an issue with firearms, but I do have an enormous issue with who gets to carry them.

I've seen a proposal where you should have to become licensed to purchase a gun. The license could be renewed every few years, kind of like a driver license. The license would allow you to purchase as few or as many guns as you want, but you must be licensed to purchase. I kind of like the idea: it would allow for a layer of regulation without being a per-purchase thing.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Open carry wasn't the problem. The problem lies with (1) how the justice system is set up to protect cops no matter what and (2) how cops are taught to live in constant extreme fear
The problem in these cases was black people open carrying. As pointed out a few posts back gun control had its genesis when the Black Panthers were arming themselves.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

OJT is the biggest professor on that. watch a few episodes of LivePD and maybe you can understand.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I've seen a proposal where you should have to become licensed to purchase a gun. The license could be renewed every few years, kind of like a driver license. The license would allow you to purchase as few or as many guns as you want, but you must be licensed to purchase. I kind of like the idea: it would allow for a layer of regulation without being a per-purchase thing.

what exactly will making law abiding citizens jump through hoops getting a license to buy a gun prevent?
and im sure the tugs in Chicago, New Orleans are going to line up for that.