Liberal Jill Karofsky wins Wisconsin Judgeship over Incumbent Repub favorite.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The issue is that sometimes the folks picking up the ballots "help" the voters fill it out. Depending on who you ask, it's either an extremely rare occurrence, or a common practice. I don't know either way, but I do know that given the opportunity to cheat, some people will indeed cheat. In this particular case they can feel good about it because they're doing it for the greater good, as they see it.
Do you have any factual input, or is this just your feels, as in "people are saying?"

THE ISSUE is you listen to those who promote this fantasy concern of yours, ALSO without any data to back it up. THE UNDERLYING ISSUE is, "Do you even care about verifiable facts?"

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Do you have any factual input, or is this just your feels, as in "people are saying?"

THE ISSUE is you listen to those who promote this fantasy concern of yours, ALSO without any data to back it up. THE UNDERLYING ISSUE is, "Do you even care about verifiable facts?"
The report I read documented two or three cases where the person collecting the ballots actually filled them out. It was implied that this was a widespread issue. As I said, I don't know that to be the case.
Personally, I think it's a bad idea to have random people involved in the collection of ballots. We have a postal service that's designed for doing this, we don't need private citizens doing the job.

As far as "verifiable facts" go, I haven't bothered to check beyond the single report I saw, as the only fact that matters would be an arrest and conviction, that may or may not have happened. What's surprising to me is that the idea clearly disturbs you. If someone is filling out the ballots of others and voting a straight republican ticket, wouldn't you want that looked at? It appears that you believe this is aimed at democrats when that's obviously not the case. The story I read didn't indicate which party was being supported. The point was that it was happening, not the political affiliation of the perpetrators.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The report I read documented two or three cases where the person collecting the ballots actually filled them out. It was implied that this was a widespread issue. As I said, I don't know that to be the case.
Personally, I think it's a bad idea to have random people involved in the collection of ballots. We have a postal service that's designed for doing this, we don't need private citizens doing the job.

As far as "verifiable facts" go, I haven't bothered to check beyond the single report I saw, as the only fact that matters would be an arrest and conviction, that may or may not have happened. What's surprising to me is that the idea clearly disturbs you. If someone is filling out the ballots of others and voting a straight republican ticket, wouldn't you want that looked at? It appears that you believe this is aimed at democrats when that's obviously not the case. The story I read didn't indicate which party was being supported. The point was that it was happening, not the political affiliation of the perpetrators.
Link or GTFO.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
So . . . in all this time, just ONE documented instance of fraud . . . BY THE REPUBLICANS! :rolleyes:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
So . . . in all this time, just ONE documented instance of fraud . . . BY THE REPUBLICANS! :rolleyes:
Isn't that what I said? Isn't that the evidence you asked for? It clearly proves the statement I posted beyond any doubt.
An election was voided because of vote harvesting. That wasn't hearsay, it wasn't my feels, it was demonstrable fact.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Isn't that what I said? Isn't that the evidence you asked for? It clearly proves the statement I posted beyond any doubt.
An election was voided because of vote harvesting. That wasn't hearsay, it wasn't my feels, it was demonstrable fact.
Next time, provide the link upfront, k?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Isn't vote by mail fill it out, seal the envelope and drop in the mailbox or at post office?

Reactions: skyking

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Isn't vote by mail fill it out, seal the envelope and drop in the mailbox or at post office?
If you are registered, and live in the same place, yes. Just mark your choices, sign your signature on the outer envelope (actual ballot is secret, so you don't sign it). In my state it's paid postage, but as that just comes out of my taxes, I take my envelope with ballot to one of the many convenient ballot drop off boxes that my county provides. In my state you can actually do same day registration also.

Reactions: skyking

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
That certainly seems like a reasonable request. I'll do my best. Do I get any accommodation for being fundamentally lazy?
I'm president of the club. We all get sashes and a secret code word. It's cool.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I think we're all due a round of applause for a truly decisive thread derailment.

Fine work gentlemen.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The issue is that sometimes the folks picking up the ballots "help" the voters fill it out. Depending on who you ask, it's either an extremely rare occurrence, or a common practice. I don't know either way, but I do know that given the opportunity to cheat, some people will indeed cheat. In this particular case they can feel good about it because they're doing it for the greater good, as they see it.

Please. Elements of the GOP believe they're on a mission from God.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Please. Elements of the GOP believe they're on a mission from God.
Your point escapes me. Why it's done is a secondary consideration. The issue is that it is done, and it was obvious that this would occur. Votes are indeed being harvested, with the person doing the harvesting being in control of the process. I would have no problem believing that some of those votes are outright purchased.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Your point escapes me. Why it's done is a secondary consideration. The issue is that it is done, and it was obvious that this would occur. Votes are indeed being harvested, with the person doing the harvesting being in control of the process. I would have no problem believing that some of those votes are outright purchased.

There is no sin when on a mission from God. You're doing his will. God wants Trump to be President, right? It's like the Crusaders breaching the walls of Jerusalem to massacre the infidels within. Holding black people as slaves because they bear the mark of Cain. Dispossessing the Palestinians. Making a deal with Trump because of abortion. They can justify most anything because Jesus.

It's also like David Frum offered-

Maybe you do not care much about the future of the Republican Party. You should. Conservatives will always be with us. If conservatives become convinced that they can not win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. The will reject democracy.

Reactions: tweaker2

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
There is no sin when on a mission from God. You're doing his will. God wants Trump to be President, right? It's like the Crusaders breaching the walls of Jerusalem to massacre the infidels within. Holding black people as slaves because they bear the mark of Cain. Dispossessing the Palestinians. Making a deal with Trump because of abortion. They can justify most anything because Jesus.

It's also like David Frum offered-
I had no idea you were talking about the lunatic fringe. Though I have trouble picturing them at my front door asking if I'd heard the word of God and do I need help filling out my ballot inline with Gods wishes?
Seems like a tough sell.