liberal finds tax he doesn't like

Veramocor

Mar 2, 2004
I've always heard the saying "There isn't a tax that liberals don't like." Now while I wish I didn't have to pay taxes, none has really actually pissed me off till now. Federal, State, Medicare, SS, and sales tax never bothered me and I've gotten taxed pretty high in NY.

Anyway I'm moving to Atlanta, Georgia and aparently it has whats called an ad valorem tax on cars. Basically every year your car is charged a fee based on the value of the car. If you own a new car you're charged more for it than an old beater car. Even if its a beater car that you don't use you're charged $100 a year.

At least with property taxes on houses your getting taxed on something thats appreciating. But with the car not only does it lose value every year but you get penalized for owning one.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
That's actually a tax that makes great sense. If you want to own something that makes use of the public highways, pay a tax. Makes a lot more logical sense than any of the other taxes you mentioned.

Veramocor

Mar 2, 2004
Originally posted by: alchemize
That's actually a tax that makes great sense. If you want to own something that makes use of the public highways, pay a tax. Makes a lot more logical sense than any of the other taxes you mentioned.

But it doesn't take in account for how much I'm using the highways. Both a gas tax or toll rodes do that but this tax charges me the same no matter how much I use the car.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Veramocor

But it doesn't take in account for how much I'm using the highways. Both a gas tax or toll rodes do that but this tax charges me the same no matter how much I use the car.

Just think of it as a sales tax that repeates every year.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
I've always heard the saying "There isn't a tax that liberals don't like." Now while I wish I didn't have to pay taxes, none has really actually pissed me off till now. Federal, State, Medicare, SS, and sales tax never bothered me and I've gotten taxed pretty high in NY.

Anyway I'm moving to Atlanta, Georgia and aparently it has whats called an ad valorem tax on cars. Basically every year your car is charged a fee based on the value of the car. If you own a new car you're charged more for it than an old beater car. Even if its a beater car that you don't use you're charged $100 a year.

At least with property taxes on houses your getting taxed on something thats appreciating. But with the car not only does it lose value every year but you get penalized for owning one.
You're not quite right. The ad valorem tax is based on the value of the car so if you have a beater it will be next to nothing (about $40 per year for my 1994 Altima) but more if you have a more expensive or newer car.

And yes, it's bloody annoying.

GA ad valorem calculator

civad

Golden Member
May 30, 2001
Basically every year your car is charged a fee based on the value of the car.

Is that a city (local) tax of a state tax? If its the former, then we have it in CT already.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

just for people to know
where I live there is tax on the gas to pay for road mantainanse and then if you own a car above a few tons, basicly a big hauler or something like that and use it for work related stuff you have to pay heavy tax and you register how many km's a month you used it.. or something like that

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Czar

just for people to know
where I live there is tax on the gas to pay for road mantainanse and then if you own a car above a few tons, basicly a big hauler or something like that and use it for work related stuff you have to pay heavy tax and you register how many km's a month you used it.. or something like that

That is basicly the way car registation works in Vermont. After paying sales tax on a new or Used car based on the blue box value if it was a private party sale or the price you paid if purchased at the dealer the vehical can be registered for a weight class up to the gross vehical weight. There is no miliage limit because most cars will cross state lines and it would just be dumd to charge for miles out of state.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I think you should get together with dmcowen, and make a unified "Why GA sucks" thread ;)
I don't like this tax because it encourages people to drive older more polluting cars.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
As Federal tax payments to the states fall, one may reasonably expect a concomitant rise in state taxes or a drop in state services. In most states we are "paying" through the states' failure to properly maintain roads and bridges, which makes our cars wear out faster. In Florida, our roads are horrid. Has anyone driven in NYC lately? Good grief, the city alone probably needs 10 billion dollars in road and bridge repairs.

-Robert

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I wonder why they don't just roll all such car related taxes into the gas tax? Wouldn't that make tax collection less expensive? Must be an attempt at progressive taxation since the tax depends on the value of your car.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: chess9
As Federal tax payments to the states fall, one may reasonably expect a concomitant rise in state taxes or a drop in state services. In most states we are "paying" through the states' failure to properly maintain roads and bridges, which makes our cars wear out faster. In Florida, our roads are horrid. Has anyone driven in NYC lately? Good grief, the city alone probably needs 10 billion dollars in road and bridge repairs.

-Robert

I bet that any person that peldged to fix all the roads in the nation could get elected with out making any other promises. I think the reason the roads in NY suck is new york likes to steal the transpertion money from the gas tax to go speend on other crap.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You guys miss the whole point of such a tax- it's partially intended to encourage folks to send their old cars that don't even run off to the scrapyard. Colorado law was changed in the early 70's to achieve much the same effect- you must have valid plates on any car, even on private property- about $25/yr...

In states w/o this kind of provision, it's fairly common to find some neighborhoods littered with junkers... so-called "collector's cars", usually just scrap with unrealistically attached expectations... good ol' boys think it's worth something, when it's just an eyesore and a liability...

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
Maine has the same tax, it's called an Excise Tax here. My 2001 Chevy Pickup was $250.00 this year, a reduction of $50. over hte previous year. Our ' 04 Passat OTOH was $500. Yeah, ouch.
Essentially it's a road use tax.

AEB

Jun 12, 2003
Road use tax? whatever happend to toll booths! this auto tax is just something to punnish people who like new cars(is the tax high for a 9 grand KIA?).
But it is also true that emissions are worse on older cars and many new cars are muc more fuel effecient (especially the hybrids). Now the hippies will never get rid of thos damn VW vans

I live in alaska and only have to pay federal income tax, SS, state unemployment, and medicare. So i can't complain.

leeboy

Banned
Dec 8, 2003
Michigan has a similar car registration tax. They use some of the money to fix our sh!tty roads. You get a little tab to put on your license plate. If it expires and you are caught, you get an $80-$100 ticket.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
You guys miss the whole point of such a tax- it's partially intended to encourage folks to send their old cars that don't even run off to the scrapyard. Colorado law was changed in the early 70's to achieve much the same effect- you must have valid plates on any car, even on private property- about $25/yr...

....but it encourages people to keep driving their old cars that barely run and get about 3 mpg.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003

buy a rare, antique, classic, or muscle car. they always seem to go up in value.

my old '72 Blazer is worth more today than it was the day it was bought.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Iowa has a similar tax. There is an annual motor vehicle registration fee that varies according to the value of the car (several hundred dollars for a nice late model) plus the vehicle weight (small amount, under $20 or so for a large passenger car). The vehicle "value" stays at the new purchase price for several years, but eventually starts dropping according to some formula.

The only bright part is that the value-based component is treated as a personal property tax; it is deductible on income tax. The weight component is not deductible.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
It's not that bad. You easily get to see a seperation between the rich and poor. The rich driving their giant SUV's and BMW's etc you see around you know have a lot of money and paying that high Ad Valorem Vs the poor driving around 1970's and 1980's clunkers.

The American Caste system in plain view. :thumbsup:

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Genesys:

That may be the first post of yours I've ever agreed with. Let's hope this isn't a trend. :) I do love old cars. I almost cried when my old Lincoln had to be "buried".

DMC:

Especially in the South and around the big cities you see that dichotomy. The farm boys will be driving their 50's and 60's trucks and the yuppies will be sitting in a/c-ed luxury with their cell phones in their ears.

-Robert

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Spencer278

Just think of it as a sales tax that repeates every year.

yea that is it funny thing is on average the car you buy would be %24 lower if all the parts in were not taxed already before it gets to the dealer.