LGA 1366 Socket Haetsink/Fans

CrazigXn

Dec 7, 2008
What choices does one have for upgrading the stock i7 HSF if one plans to overclock?

Newegg only has a Noctua 1366 socket HSF. Seems okay, but would like to know a little more. I plan to try and take the i7 to 3 - 3.2 ghz for the OC and want to be certain I have the right cooling option.

Please advise. The more opinions the better and if I missed another string, just point to the right place.

2dt Drifter

May 23, 2007
I found jab-tech has the Scythe Mugen 2. But I too know nothing about which aftermarket HSF to get. I'm not OC'ing and my temps are higher than normal. There doesn't seem to be many options for an i7 user.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Sacraster
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 is a great cooler. my 920 is running at 3.8 fine with it

Until more recently, I've followed the heatpipe cooler offerings like a hawk. I can manage the dBAs of noise on my own, so I prefer to read comparison reviews that spend less time on that factor than on assessing a cooler's minimum thermal resistance (less TR is optimal).

The Noctua rates as good as or better than the TRUE, and has a retention mechanism that is interchangeable with the TRUE -- or some parts of it.

I'm running my E8600 at maximum safe voltage and 4.25 Ghz. Under Linpack at room-ambient around 73F, load temperature from the TCase sensor doesn't exceed 70C.

The i7 cores have a TDP of 130W, and the reason I haven't jumped into the socket-1366 technology yet (in addition to the comet-tail of the Bush economy and a radical change in my "savings behavior").

If Sacraster says he can get to 3.8 Ghz, I won't contest it. I have no firsthand I7 experience. For however-many grains of salt you want to take, it seems to prove my assessment for the Noctua. The Noctua comes stock with its own (Noctua) fan, which has a very low amperage draw, proprietary fin-design, low noise and low rpms. I preferred a beefier fan, but if Sacraster is using the fan that came with his Noctua -- that also says something.

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
I'm currently running my i7 @ 3.8Ghz on the Noctura with a med speed fan (1500rpm). LinPak has never crossed 72c with 1.35 vcore.