LG vs Samsung for Washer/Dryer - and is a Steam Dryer worth the extra $$?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
The wife prefers top loaders, not fully sure why but she does. Also, without the pedestals the front loaders are mighty low to the ground.

Thats cool. You got a nice set anyway. As far as the height goes...we thought about that too, and realized the dryer is at the same height anyway, so no biggie.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
One thing that I hate about the new washers is it takes over an hour, if not 1.5 hours, to just wash a single load. No more 25-30 minutes to wash clothes and then double up loads in the dryer.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I use the steam function all the time. It is great for refreshing work shirts or de-wrinking shirts that weren't put on hangers immediately.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
One thing that I hate about the new washers is it takes over an hour, if not 1.5 hours, to just wash a single load. No more 25-30 minutes to wash clothes and then double up loads in the dryer.

I always use the quick wash function on my Samsung. It only takes 26 minutes and normal day-to-day 'dirty' clothes turn out just fine. I'll wash bedding and towels on a more heavy duty cycle though.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Yah it can be annoying. But thats how they work. With top loaders, the washer fills all the way with water for its wash cycle. With front loaders, it only fills up past the clothes, and the drum switches directions often. In between the direction shifts, there are pauses to allow the water to soak into the clothes.

That said, spin cycles are MUCH faster than top loaders, thus shortening the dryer times. A full cycle of wash/dry shouldnt be overall too much longer than top loaders. Unless you throw in a sanitize cycle or steam.

moodyfrog76

Feb 2, 2015
I am contemplating on buying the LG WT1101CW Washer and matching Dryer or the Samsung WA45H7200AW Washer and matching Dryer, I currently have a Whirlpool Duet front loader set and have spend a ton of money on them to a point where we can't afford to fix it and if we could, would not want to.

I know I want to go back to the top loader w/o an agitator. When looking at both, they are pretty similar. I am just curious if anyone has a preference and reasons to make that choice?

I was leaning towards the LG, but now I am not so sure....