LG V20 - $672 on Verizon

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Not sure if it was posted yet

Really curious on how quick the autofocus on the LG V20 is compared to the S7\Note 7.
Plenty of comparisons on picture quality. Not much on how quick to open up the camera app and get the shot.
Consider this my bi-annual (Maybe I will finally retire my Galaxy S4 thread)

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I ordered mine from VZW yesterday as it will replace my VZW note 7. I held onto my Note 7 until the LGV20 came out. I should have it in on Monday. I already have an S7 edge so I will definitely know which is faster. The Note 7 and the S7 have the fastest focus I have ever seen! I am more interested in the 4 DACs that are on the LGV20 as I am a music nut. Thats why I had gotten the LGV10 late last year but the screen on that was bleh. Camera was excellent and sound was awesome on it but I hated the screen.

Reactions: KingstonU

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Wow, including the LGV20 I'll receive on Monday, I have had a total of 4 flagship phones this year. S7 Edge, Note 7, iPhone 7 and now the LGV20.

Reactions: poofyhairguy

dat722

Nov 12, 2015
Is this a Verizon exclusive only? I have sprint and my options are limited since the NOTE 7 is no more.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Is this a Verizon exclusive only? I have sprint and my options are limited since the NOTE 7 is no more.

No, all carriers will get it. I think VZW gets it a week earlier. The B&O earbud promotion kicks in on the 28th, which is the full release day on the V20.

dat722

Nov 12, 2015
Thanks a lot boys! Hopefully Black friday deal will match last years NOTE 5 for a dollar deal

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
My LG G4 died last night (started looping) so while I'm hesitant to buy another LG I made use of the removable uSD card and I'd like that again. Fortunately all my photos and stuff were on that card and were able to be retrieved.

Edit: ended up getting one, I did not trade my old phone in I just re-upped for 2 years and paid the $300 for it. Both of our lines were eligible so I figured why not, we will use Verizon as far as I can tell the next few years anyway.

Nice phone, very long, the only complaint is I don't really need the second display, it would be perfectly sized for me without that. I'll make due, just got done installing all my apps and really haven't had much time to play with it. I would like to order a soft case and charging cables before I drop it though.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
I'd be interested in how it compares in quickness and low light as Samsung did an incredible job of making both quite good.

However I have very little interest in the V20 because of no AMOLED and LG's various issues. It'd have to be a lot cheaper than $672 for me to even consider it.

Personally for me, I think I'll be waiting til next year to consider a new phone as there just isn't any that really do much for me. Lots of good, I'd even say great phones but none that quite match everything I want. The closest for me is the Axon 7. I'll probably get one for a family member and compare it to my V10.

Next year sounds like it'll be a lot more interesting. Samsung will be trying to make people forget about the Note 7 failure, iPhone should be interesting, might get a Surface Phone, I'm hoping Google does something really interesting if they want to keep Pixel high up (I'm personally hoping they add spatial tracking, untethered Tilt Brush with augmented reality would be amazing), and the Chinese brands have been making the midrange stuff competitive with high end. And LG, Sony, and Motorola are always good for something interesting (even if it rarely pans out into being something really good).

I ordered mine from VZW yesterday as it will replace my VZW note 7. I held onto my Note 7 until the LGV20 came out. I should have it in on Monday. I already have an S7 edge so I will definitely know which is faster. The Note 7 and the S7 have the fastest focus I have ever seen! I am more interested in the 4 DACs that are on the LGV20 as I am a music nut. Thats why I had gotten the LGV10 late last year but the screen on that was bleh. Camera was excellent and sound was awesome on it but I hated the screen.

I really think they're pushing marketing buzzword with the quad-DAC. I saw some talk that they might be using several sub-DACs (they even said they'd turn off 3 of the 4 to save power and for varioius other reasons such as lower quality source, which makes me wonder if unless you're pushing 32bit/384 or DSD signals that you'll be getting all the chip has to offer in performance), although I personally am guessing they're just using a typical Sabre 8 channel DAC setup, and cascading them internally. Plus they integrated the headphone amp chip.

That's not to say it won't sound good, it should still and maybe even better than the V10, but there's a lot of audiophile nonsense (especially in marketing) that pervades stuff like this, and the reality is that Sabre just made a more mobile focused chip, very likely using what they already had (their 8 channel chips are likely the ones making most of their money and thus getting most of their focus).

It actually compares worse than the V10's chip in harmonic distortion and dynamic range (it does best it in signal to noise ratio), and I have a hunch the end result is further worse with the integrated headphone amp compared to the V10's separate setup. But it should be more efficient which could be a very worthwhile trade-off. It might not though, and implementation matters.

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
I just want this phone released in Canada already. This delay between announcement and release of 2 MONTHS is nuts! Those "60,000 tests" that presumably caused these delays had better mean this device has a very low defect and failure rate. :p

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I'd be interested in how it compares in quickness and low light as Samsung did an incredible job of making both quite good.

However I have very little interest in the V20 because of no AMOLED and LG's various issues. It'd have to be a lot cheaper than $672 for me to even consider it.

Personally for me, I think I'll be waiting til next year to consider a new phone as there just isn't any that really do much for me. Lots of good, I'd even say great phones but none that quite match everything I want. The closest for me is the Axon 7. I'll probably get one for a family member and compare it to my V10.

Next year sounds like it'll be a lot more interesting. Samsung will be trying to make people forget about the Note 7 failure, iPhone should be interesting, might get a Surface Phone, I'm hoping Google does something really interesting if they want to keep Pixel high up (I'm personally hoping they add spatial tracking, untethered Tilt Brush with augmented reality would be amazing), and the Chinese brands have been making the midrange stuff competitive with high end. And LG, Sony, and Motorola are always good for something interesting (even if it rarely pans out into being something really good).

I really think they're pushing marketing buzzword with the quad-DAC. I saw some talk that they might be using several sub-DACs (they even said they'd turn off 3 of the 4 to save power and for varioius other reasons such as lower quality source, which makes me wonder if unless you're pushing 32bit/384 or DSD signals that you'll be getting all the chip has to offer in performance), although I personally am guessing they're just using a typical Sabre 8 channel DAC setup, and cascading them internally. Plus they integrated the headphone amp chip.

That's not to say it won't sound good, it should still and maybe even better than the V10, but there's a lot of audiophile nonsense (especially in marketing) that pervades stuff like this, and the reality is that Sabre just made a more mobile focused chip, very likely using what they already had (their 8 channel chips are likely the ones making most of their money and thus getting most of their focus).

It actually compares worse than the V10's chip in harmonic distortion and dynamic range (it does best it in signal to noise ratio), and I have a hunch the end result is further worse with the integrated headphone amp compared to the V10's separate setup. But it should be more efficient which could be a very worthwhile trade-off. It might not though, and implementation matters.

Its not marketing hype. The DAC is a stereo DAC, with 2 channels per side (thus, quad). You can read about it here: http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...udiophile-features-mobile-devices-first-time/

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I really like the phone so far. The display is great, the wide angle camera is more useful than I thought. The physical size is big, they could have left the secondary display off although I have noticed myself looking at it to see what notifications are up when it's on my desk. I had to order a urethane case and a couple of type c cables, and a 64 gig memory card as well just because.

It takes photos very, very quickly, even in low light. Photos with plenty of light are as good as I need them to be, not being a professional. Really low light photos suffer the same graininess as most other phones I have seen.
I needed a phone so I had to make a quick decision. I handled the S7 and I did not like the shiny metal of the case, although I always cover it, the UI was acceptable, it was a Samsung and I have never had one, and the recent fire issue left a bad taste in my mouth even though this phone does not suffer from that.

The iPhone 7 is great, I just am not familiar nor do I have any other devices that run Apple OS so I did not want to experiment right now. The LG will be a backup camera for a trip to Africa in a few months, I suspect I will want something available in my pocket versus lugging a big camera around all day every day for 2 weeks. I also wanted to swap SD cards, and I plan to carry a spare battery as well as a solar USB battery pack.

My concern is of course the looping reboot issue, but I still have 2 LG G2's that are fine so I guess it's hit or miss if it will ever be an issue again with an LG phone.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
So, playing with my lgv20 for a couple of hours. I hate it. The screen is the same mediocre crap as the lgv10, the fingerprint scanner is way to sensitive, you just touch it and it unlocks, the sound of the dacs is good but not really necessary for me as I use an external dac amp allways, the feel of the phone is cheap IMO. and the camera is meh. Not digging it at all. I played a netflix movie on the lgv20. lgv10 and my s7 edge. The edge of course blows it all away but I thought the lgv10 displayed it a tad better than the lgv20. Sorry, just not feeling the love. I may hold onto my note 7 and swap it for a note 8 or whatever samsung calls it.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
So, playing with my lgv20 for a couple of hours. I hate it. The screen is the same mediocre crap as the lgv10, the fingerprint scanner is way to sensitive, you just touch it and it unlocks, the sound of the dacs is good but not really necessary for me as I use an external dac amp allways, the feel of the phone is cheap IMO. and the camera is meh. Not digging it at all. I played a netflix movie on the lgv20. lgv10 and my s7 edge. The edge of course blows it all away but I thought the lgv10 displayed it a tad better than the lgv20. Sorry, just not feeling the love. I may hold onto my note 7 and swap it for a note 8 or whatever samsung calls it.

Weird. I think the V20 is a step up from the S7E. Definitely faster. Samsung display is a bit nicer, but certainly not horrible IMHO.

Good thing we have choices :)

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Right on. I did not find the Samsung to be anything special camera or overall feel-wise. I actually would prefer a plastic build and I may be one of the few that liked the volume buttons on the back of the phone, I always seem to find the buttons on the side and adjust the volume when I don't want to. I don't use the fingerprint scanner, so I can't speak to that, nor do I care about wireless charging. The dac comment reminded me to send in for the free earbuds.
As to the Pixel I played with it feels like a cheaper iPhone attempt if I were to equate it to anything. It is fortunate that we do have choices, I can't tell much difference in displays between these phones, but they are all more than adequate. I would have put a case on any phone I bought, so plastic or metal I don't care it's never seen but wrapped in urethane.

I still think it's the best phone of the bunch for me and that's what really matters. It is only a phone after all, I do not watch movies or play games on mine, I still prefer a desktop with a large monitor.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Yesterday whilst playing with this phone, I found the setting for the grid, I set it at 5x5. Now, I cannot find the grid setting. WTF?!?!?!?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I'm looking at the LG v20 as an upgrade from a Note 4.

I'd be on a Note 5 if Samsung didn't decide that aping apple was best for them....

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
My concern is of course the looping reboot issue, but I still have 2 LG G2's that are fine so I guess it's hit or miss if it will ever be an issue again with an LG phone.
I thought that the bootloop is only an issue with the G4? G3s and G5s are fine.

o306

Mar 23, 2015
Bootloops have been reported with the G4, G5, and V10. I think the G4 and V10 have it the worst but the G5 is not considered safe.

I will let other people beta test and let the price drop before I consider one.

o306

Mar 23, 2015
The G3 is/was a great phone. If the the G5 and V10 didn't have the bootloop issue I would buy one easy. Hopefully the V20 won't have one. Without the bootloop, once the price drops I would buy one immediately.

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
Canadian carriers Videotron and Wind Mobile have begun offering the V20 on October 28th to their customers in Canada. I think the popularity of the phone is really growing up in North American region. Check out the news below:

http://thedigitalevolution.net/digital-news/lg-v20-now-available-canada/

I can't believe that they stuck to only those 2 tiny carriers. The crazy amount of delays this release has had better be because LG wanted to reduce all potential issues. But it needs to be released to the masses.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
The battery is horrid on this thing. Went from 85% to dead in 3 hours. Didnt even have a sim card in it.