LG G5 for $460 CA or LG V20 for $900 CA?

LG G5 on heavy discount or LG V20 at full price?

• LG G5 today at HEAVY discount of $460 CA

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • LG V20 in a couple weeks at full price of $900 CA

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
Poll added!

So I am becoming torn, I have been eagerly awaiting the release of the LG V20, as it is the phone that ticks the most of my boxes for a phone. It is taking FOREVER to be released, but LG did say it IS coming to my area. Apparently within the next 2 weeks with a predicted price of ~$900 CA.

Problem is that the LG G5 was just given a HEAVY discount and I can get it today for $460 CA. Less then half the price!!!

The G5 is not my ideal phone, and it is clearly on sale because it has not sold very well and I never really considered it. But the recent HEAVY discounts has made it suddenly become the best value on the market.

But it has almost all the EXACT same internal hardware and camera as the V20. It probably offers 80% of the same experience at 45% of the cost.

The additional benefits of the V20 over the G5 are:
-5.7" screen + another utility screen - (preferred over the G5's 5.3")
-Bigger battery and one that is properly removable that will allow me to keep this phone for several years (will just pop a Zero Lemon on there)
-Better wide angle selfie camera, otherwise cameras are the same
-Shock resistant
-Android 7.0 (Though the G5 is supposed to get it a few months later)

Alternatively I could buy the G5, and then upgrade again next year?

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The price of the g5 plummeted like a rock, whodathunkit. Maybe get the g5 now and wait till the v20 plummets?

Reactions: KingstonU

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
Hah, now LG suddenly announces this "V34" out of nowhere that is a IP67 rated waterproof V20 in a 5.2" screen. So basically a better G5. Only in Japan though aparently, WTF LG? LOL The battery may not be removable though (not confirmed). If it's not removable I would still prefer the regular V20.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Wait and get the V20.

The G5 was kind of 'meh' to me. I never liked how flimsy the battery drawer feels never quite making a perfect flush fit with the phone body. It's also a bit fugly to me, but of course that's a personal pref.

If the V20 is a better product than the G5 (and in a booooooring as hell market right now with litterally nothing else all that exciting, just dull....duller...dullest) the V20 may not drop in value all that fast.

I'd wait and at least get both in my hands before buying.

Reactions: KingstonU