LG C7 OLEDs priced down already, now just crazy-high :)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
FYI - Dell had it for $2500 the other day

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I have a hard time with the price, not just because it's crazy expensive for a TV, but because of how other TV's compare these days. I was close to pulling the trigger on the curved 1080p OLED 55" LG last year, but skipped it. Then I almost pulled the trigger on the flat 4K OLED 55" this year (great deals on eBay from approved sellers), but instead picked up a Hitachi 65" 4K set. Non-HDR, non-120hz, no fancy magical arrays of LED planes & unicorn tears & whatnot...looks absolutely stellar.

I am far more of a picture quality snob than an audio snob, because with audio, you hit the point of diminishing returns at reasonably low price-points, at least to my ears. With picture, I'm a lot more picky because I know how the picture is supposed to look, and crap TV's & crap projectors just look awful. However, 4K has kind of changed all that because you get quadruple the pixels per square inch, as well as pretty dang good upscaling technology on the 2016 & 2017 sets. I'm watching a 4K Netflix show on my BIL's 55" TCL 4K Roku TV ($499 retail, $379 BF) right now and it looks absolutely phenomenal. I just got a 65" Hitachi 4K Roku TV from Sam's Club for $708...no real regrets in not springing for an OLED whatsoever.

So that's just my 2 cents. btw, the Hitachi replaced my 60" Mitsubishi DLP rear-projection, which I dearly loved, but with the light engine dying even after replacing the bulb, it just didn't make financial sense to keep it anymore. I looked at a zillion TV's & didn't like any of them because my DLP was so awesome. The one I liked the most was the HDR X940D from Sony (75"), but it was too big for my room & way too expensive. Also liked the OLED's, of course, although I would have taken the Sony LED HDR over an OLED in a heartbeat after seeing them side-by-side. However, after seeing the TCL/Hitachi/Insignia 4K Roku sets, I was convinced. I miss my DLP just because it had a really awesome film-like cinematic picture for live-action movies, but now both movies AND cartoons look really really really good. Something to consider if deep down you don't really want to blow three thousand dollars on a television set ;)

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
I got the C6 55" a couple weeks ago. Seems more sensible for the $1,500 price tag. Only planning on using this 1-2 years tho, when hopefully we see higher refresh OLEDs. Using it as a monitor mainly for gaming. Just moved across the country again, and sold my plasma before leaving. After playing games exclusively on my LCD monitor for a few days, I couldn't stand the blacks any longer. And OLED is absolutely phenomenal if you place black levels high on your priorities. Could not be more pleased with the C6.

I'd only drop $2.5k+ if it did 4k@120fps and 65"+.

Mar 11, 2004
I have a hard time with the price, not just because it's crazy expensive for a TV, but because of how other TV's compare these days. I was close to pulling the trigger on the curved 1080p OLED 55" LG last year, but skipped it. Then I almost pulled the trigger on the flat 4K OLED 55" this year (great deals on eBay from approved sellers), but instead picked up a Hitachi 65" 4K set. Non-HDR, non-120hz, no fancy magical arrays of LED planes & unicorn tears & whatnot...looks absolutely stellar.

I am far more of a picture quality snob than an audio snob, because with audio, you hit the point of diminishing returns at reasonably low price-points, at least to my ears. With picture, I'm a lot more picky because I know how the picture is supposed to look, and crap TV's & crap projectors just look awful. However, 4K has kind of changed all that because you get quadruple the pixels per square inch, as well as pretty dang good upscaling technology on the 2016 & 2017 sets. I'm watching a 4K Netflix show on my BIL's 55" TCL 4K Roku TV ($499 retail, $379 BF) right now and it looks absolutely phenomenal. I just got a 65" Hitachi 4K Roku TV from Sam's Club for $708...no real regrets in not springing for an OLED whatsoever.

So that's just my 2 cents. btw, the Hitachi replaced my 60" Mitsubishi DLP rear-projection, which I dearly loved, but with the light engine dying even after replacing the bulb, it just didn't make financial sense to keep it anymore. I looked at a zillion TV's & didn't like any of them because my DLP was so awesome. The one I liked the most was the HDR X940D from Sony (75"), but it was too big for my room & way too expensive. Also liked the OLED's, of course, although I would have taken the Sony LED HDR over an OLED in a heartbeat after seeing them side-by-side. However, after seeing the TCL/Hitachi/Insignia 4K Roku sets, I was convinced. I miss my DLP just because it had a really awesome film-like cinematic picture for live-action movies, but now both movies AND cartoons look really really really good. Something to consider if deep down you don't really want to blow three thousand dollars on a television set ;)

I'd say no offense, but I honestly kinda mean some offense, but if you bought a non-HDR 4k set but consider yourself a picture quality snob, then it doesn't quite match up. HDR has the potential to be a bigger deal than the resolution change (especially since it seems to be getting TV makers to consider some form of calibration and things to make it easy for non tech geeks to get better more acurate color).

Not that I'd condemn you for going for good enough now while the rest gets settled. Between OLED prices, and the HDR format stuff, now's not a great time to upgrade.

Also, hopefully native 4K projectors get going...so they can get prices down sooner :p

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
And I'm now the happy (so far) owner of an LG 55C7.

I ended up getting it from a local chain (Video Only) since they offered it to me for $2699 including delivery and setup, haul-away of my old TV, and a 5-year store warranty. They're an authorized seller so year 1 is the LG warranty. Plus $300 WA tax, but I really wanted the delivery to include checks for damage and DOA, plus the TV haul-away.

Wow, true 0-level blacks and the picture is much sharper than my 11-year-old 1080p DLP. If you can't stand the C7 price but don't care about the minor improvements for 2017, then get a B6 while you still can.

Reactions: guachi