Discussion LG 65" C8 OLED "monitor"

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Picked up a new TV to add to my gaming PC. An LG 65" C8 OLED. So far it has been great. Have to get use to ABL, but it's not as bad as previous years models.

xan75lw.jpg

Tguv7TO.jpg

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
As you're probably already aware, but just be careful with OLEDs and PC use, the static UI elements on many PC applications can cause burn-in in just a few months of daily use.

Reactions: guachi

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm well aware.

I've set my wallpaper to solid black, my task bar to auto hide, and power options to turn off the display after 1 minute of inactivity.

The OLED brightness is set to a max of 75.... as ABL allows.

I have logo illuminance enabled and set to low. Pixel shift is on.

Reactions: mnewsham

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Automatic Brightness Limiter.

It help with the longevity of the panel. OLED has a finite longevity since it is organic. The longer the display is kept static on a bright image, the shorter the pixel life. ABL is automatic and is used to limit the brightness in order to prevent burn in. There is no way to turn it off. Either through the main menu or the service menu. It's common to all OLED displays. Even the limited availability Dell OLED monitor from a short while ago had it.

Reactions: footballrunner800

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Nice setup. I've seen others use these TVs as PC monitors for a few years without any burn-in, but it varies with the specific panel and is hard to predict. I keep my E8 on 0 brightness and 60 contrast (the contrast actually affects the brightness too) for windows and increase it to 100 on both for games. ABL is a bit annoying, but rare and not very noticeable when the brightness is low.

Do you notice any motion blur in games? I find that BFI gets rid of it but cuts the brightness in half, or I use 1080p at 120hz for more fast paced games.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There is still some motion blur. I've been use to LCDs for so long that the small amount of blur from OLED is much better. I don't use BFI since it produces flicker and cuts the brightness way down.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Automatic Brightness Limiter.

It help with the longevity of the panel. OLED has a finite longevity since it is organic. The longer the display is kept static on a bright image, the shorter the pixel life. ABL is automatic and is used to limit the brightness in order to prevent burn in. There is no way to turn it off. Either through the main menu or the service menu. It's common to all OLED displays. Even the limited availability Dell OLED monitor from a short while ago had it.

Actually, I believe they use ABL to limit power to stay under energy star power regulations and/or to use less expensive power delivery components. You can still go full brightness in smaller areas of the screen. So you could burn those in and typically it is smaller areas like this that get burned in and noticed. So it does nothing about that.

OLED only uses power in pixels that are lit up. And the brighter/whiter they are the more power they use as well.

ABL testing typically uses full white screen, which would really max out power, and this is exactly what ABL limits.

In fact I bet if you did something like 80% of screen full brightness white, you might get ABL limit 80% peak brightness, with 100% screen lit something like 64% peak brightness, as a made up example to illustrate the point. It stops the power from exceeding some preset value. Less than half the screen lit, you probably get full peak brightness.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've searched online in the past for the reason for ABL and I haven't found a concrete answer to it. People on the AVSForum have said it's both for panel longevity and keeping power levels inline.

Now turning off ASBL (the other full panel brightness limiter for static content) is something I can do through the IN-START service menu. It's really more annoying than ABL on the C8. With past models I would say ABL was more annoying than ASBL.

The new logo luminance limiter feature I keep on high. Either I can't tell when it kicks in or it's not turning on at all. I'm not sure if turning ASBL off affects the logo luminance limiter. I would think not.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Nice monitor. I'm always looking at that particular model, I just can't justify it as my old Panasonic plasma just keeps going.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The sub works well and fits nicely in there. I only keep the gain at 33%. Not a big fan of overly boomy audio. My neighbors in the houses next to me probably appreciate that as well. It can thump when I really want it to. At least to me it does.

I've really been enjoying the C8 OLED TV. It's great for PC gaming. Low input lag and the best picture quality ever. I vary the content and don't do long sessions. I'll see how it treats me in regards to image retention or burn in.

Reactions: Adawy

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Pixel response time? That's 0.1ms. Input lag is around 20ms. It feels very reponsive. More so than my previous Samsung KU6300. Input lag has gotten much better for televisions the past couple of years. It's no longer 50+ms. The only somewhat bad input lag on televisions are the Android based ones like what Sony uses.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've had this TV for 6 weeks now and I can say I'm absolutely in love with it. You can see why these are priced $3K+ after you've used one for a while. Going from using an LCD display from an OLED is a very noticeable difference.

I have no screen burn in. I play a variety of games with a mix of movies. It has been 80% PC and 20% Netflix/Prime. The most gaming has been with Subnautica at 35+ hours. This game has a constant static HUD with bright colors.

I have the display using Standard (User) with the following:
Input is labled as PC
90 OLED light
80 Contrast
50 Brightness
20 Sharpness
60 Color
0 Tint
C20 Color Temp
Medium Gamma
High Black Level
Motion Eye Care and TruMotion are off
Energy Saving is off
Eye Comfort Mode off
HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color mode is of course on for 4:4:4 Chroma

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Agreed, mine is the best PC upgrade I've made in a long time. The image quality in a dark room is amazing, especially close up. I'm playing Doom on it and the contrast and black levels are in a different league from anything you get on an LCD.

I do find the drop from 120hz to 60hz (and the image persistence) noticeable, but in most games I still prefer 4K over 1080p. I didn't want to play the waiting game anymore for the 2019 models, and got a good price on one last year ($1700 instead of the standard $2500). Maybe I'll upgrade it in a few years after HDMI 2.1 has more of an ecosystem around it.

muskyx1

Apr 20, 2005
This so messed up, I got the 65" over the weekend to use for gaming and home theatre and I'm planning to return it. HDR in PC mode is all washed out and faded. Spent 2 days trying to fix it with no success. Googled "c8 OLED PC mode broken" and a lot of people are reporting the same problem. So not sure what to think anymore based on the comments here.

I've had this TV for 6 weeks now and I can say I'm absolutely in love with it. You can see why these are priced $3K+ after you've used one for a while. Going from using an LCD display from an OLED is a very noticeable difference.

I have no screen burn in. I play a variety of games with a mix of movies. It has been 80% PC and 20% Netflix/Prime. The most gaming has been with Subnautica at 35+ hours. This game has a constant static HUD with bright colors.

I have the display using Standard (User) with the following:
Input is labled as PC
90 OLED light
80 Contrast
50 Brightness
20 Sharpness
60 Color
0 Tint
C20 Color Temp
Medium Gamma
High Black Level
Motion Eye Care and TruMotion are off
Energy Saving is off
Eye Comfort Mode off
HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color mode is of course on for 4:4:4 Chroma

Is windows set to HDR/WCG to on?

hdr.JPG

When set to off, pic looks awesome but it's not in HDR mode, when on HDR message appears in top right corner, but pic is horrible.

Last edited:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
@muskyx1

Can't say that I have that problem. I don't use HDR all that often in PC mode. When I do it works just fine.

HDR works in Windows 10 for me. It jacks up the brightness on whites on the desktop pretty considerably. It doesn't look washed out. It does force ABL to kick in much sooner. It's near impossible to show the true image quality through a photo, but here it is anyway.

Off:
HDR_Off.jpg

On:
HDR_On.jpg

CruyffCule

Apr 16, 2019
I attached a couple of photos of some odd lines that have appeared intermittently at the bottom of my screen - irrespective of content or device I am viewing from on my C8.

Does this look like anything easily identifiable?

Attachments

• IMG-3044.JPG
    IMG-3044.JPG
    606.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-3043.JPG
    IMG-3043.JPG
    620.9 KB · Views: 20

CruyffCule

Apr 16, 2019
Cheers for that. Just strange, are LG OLEDs meant to be prone to issues? We bought a B6 the year before (It got a dead pixel), they refunded us and we upgraded to this C8 and now this? Is there a name for this sort of issue?

muskyx1

Apr 20, 2005
@muskyx1

Can't say that I have that problem. I don't use HDR all that often in PC mode. When I do it works just fine.

HDR works in Windows 10 for me. It jacks up the brightness on whites on the desktop pretty considerably. It doesn't look washed out. It does force ABL to kick in much sooner. It's near impossible to show the true image quality through a photo, but here it is anyway.

Off:
View attachment 4968

On:
View attachment 4969
Thanks for the reply. I ended up keeping the TV. Went to Rtings.com posting the same topic and one of the reviewers mentioned there was a firmware update that addressed this issue in the fall. So all those comments I read were all prior to the update. Went into one of the expert modes tweaked settings.

Used this HDR video on Youtube. Watched it using the TV's Youtube app and then through PC mode. Got the PC mode to almost match it.

Would be curious how other c8 owners compare these 2 viewing modes with this video.