LG 10X Blu-ray Burner $110 @ Newegg

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
okay, at $99 - I can't pass it up. thnks, op.

/now I need to pick up a Blu-ray flick to break it in.....
//The Dark Knight, perhaps....

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Dang it!
Now it's $99.
I just paid $109 just a few days ago and UPS just delivered it Monday.
Has anyone tried the Cyberlink software that came with the bundle?
And how is it, btw?

kovboi

May 12, 2005
Just got mine today from UPS. Very pleased, and pleasantly surprised by the included PowerDVD 9 software, which appears to support 6 channel sound and DTS. It also integrates nicely with Windows 7 Media Center - just click on "Play DVD" in 7MC and it automatically launches PowerDVD. Best value for OEM software I've ever gotten. I probably won't bother buying TMT3 now.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Just got mine today from UPS. Very pleased, and pleasantly surprised by the included PowerDVD 9 software, which appears to support 6 channel sound and DTS. It also integrates nicely with Windows 7 Media Center - just click on "Play DVD" in 7MC and it automatically launches PowerDVD. Best value for OEM software I've ever gotten. I probably won't bother buying TMT3 now.

Thanks for the update - mine should be in tomorrow and the thing I was most concerned about was if the software had support for more than 2-channels...

I have a 5.1 set-up and it would have a bummer if the output wasn't there....

jalaram

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Wow, that is nice to know. I would've assumed 2 channel only. Now, the only advantage for TMT3 is HD-DVD support. I assume it's dropped in PDVD 9.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Ugh, this is such a good deal. If I had an HTPC in my entertainment center downstairs, it would be a no brainer.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Just wanted to add that not only is the drive excellent; but the PowerDVD 9 package is as well. I couldn't be more pleased.

thanks again, op.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
Drive works great for me. A couple notes though:

• The cyberlink software included does not include a nice way to create blu-ray movie cd's (it will provide a way to create DVD movie CD's). Nero Media Suite 10 provides an easy way to do this
  • Cyberlink software would not install at first, kept saying I didn't have a LG drive. The problem was Ultra ISO's virtual drive. Once you disable that you can install the software just fine
  • Had issues playing blu-ray through my 30inch monitor. After some googling, I ended up installing AnyDVD and that solved my problem (note this is in conjunction w/ the Cyberlink Software)

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I've been coming back to this drive all day. I didn't want to go Blue Ray for a few months yet, no point really until I replace old TV with new big screen, but this is making it very tempting to take the leap.

Hope of better software if I wait is what is holding me back, but I've heard PowerDVD 10 has some kind of negative features.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
It's my understanding that every drive has to have this (all my DVD drives do). Often there are custom firmwares to get around it, but I've never bothered.

Real tempting at $99 ... just to get up-to-speed on Blu-Ray "processes".

Edit: gave in, got one

I though to play 3D Blu-ray movies in 3D it had to read at 2x, how does that work with copylock and the 1x read speed?

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Great deal. Thanks, OP.

This rounded out my HTPC perfectly. I prefer TMT over PowerDVD, but it's free and functional.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Great bundle from the Egg!
The 8.0 Cyberlink disc comes free with the drive which works wonder.
I paid $56 more to get the Cyberlink rev 10 M2 which enables you to watch 3d contents
Roughly $170 (for me) not did I got myself a BR burner as well as a 3d BR player.
Now I just need to be patient for 3d movies becoming more available.

Snaggletooth

Dec 3, 2004
Drive works great for me. A couple notes though:

• The cyberlink software included does not include a nice way to create blu-ray movie cd's (it will provide a way to create DVD movie CD's). Nero Media Suite 10 provides an easy way to do this
  • Cyberlink software would not install at first, kept saying I didn't have a LG drive. The problem was Ultra ISO's virtual drive. Once you disable that you can install the software just fine
  • Had issues playing blu-ray through my 30inch monitor. After some googling, I ended up installing AnyDVD and that solved my problem (note this is in conjunction w/ the Cyberlink Software)

Thanks for the recommendations. Nero looks great and there's a 10% off code making it $71

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
So let me get this straight. You can actually try 3D with a regular monitor and all of this hokey crap? You just need the card, the software, the drivers and the glasses?

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
So let me get this straight. You can actually try 3D with a regular monitor and all of this hokey crap? You just need the card, the software, the drivers and the glasses?

No you still need a 3d ready monitor or tv.

wouterkcs

Feb 13, 2009
Some stuttering with PowerDVD 9 and a lot with 10. Somewhat better with enabling Hardware acceleration in settings. I am using W 7 64 with X58 I7 920 CPU and NVIDIA GT9800 GT. SATA channel is set as UDMA.

What can be the cause??

Thanks,

Last edited:

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Some stuttering with PowerDVD 9 and a lot with 10. Somewhat better with enabling Hardware acceleration in settings. I am using W 7 64 with X58 I7 920 CPU and NVIDIA GT9800 GT. SATA channel is set as UDMA.

What can be the cause??

Thanks,

Mine runs as smooth it can get.
Even in 3d contents
I use Powerdvd 10 Mkii.
Your rig could use a better video card.

CosmosRewind

Jun 12, 2005
I though to play 3D Blu-ray movies in 3D it had to read at 2x, how does that work with copylock and the 1x read speed?

1x isn't defined in "movie speed", it's a data rate. Movies can be encoded at different bit rates so "movie speed" is variable. According to the Blu-ray Disc specification, 1x speed is defined as 36Mbps.

In testing this drive, I've read a 29.7gb disk to my hard drive in 35 minutes (the movie was 2.5 hours with a bunch of extras). Unless I've messed up the math, that works out to around 116Mbps. So this drive is reading at a bit over 3x in blu-ray speeds for a commercially produced disk.

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
just got mine and can't get it to play a blu ray movie.
Installed the powerdvd 9 (with all the other crap ahhhhh) is this the correct version.
Tried it with anydvdHD still says unknown format.

ps at first I tried playing it thru my 4830 HDMI out to the tv then to the computer monitor
no go either way

LG's copy lock sucks. I checked on the hacked firmware and so far the only thing with WH is the LG WH08LS20 1.00

Last edited: