LG 10X Blu-ray Burner $110 @ Newegg

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
just got mine and can't get it to play a blu ray movie.
Installed the powerdvd 9 (with all the other crap ahhhhh) is this the correct version.
Tried it with anydvdHD still says unknown format.

ps at first I tried playing it thru my 4830 HDMI out to the tv then to the computer monitor
no go either way

LG's copy lock sucks. I checked on the hacked firmware and so far the only thing with WH is the LG WH08LS20 1.00

The disc has the LG firmware update in it.
Then use Cyberlink BD advisor to see if your rig is up to the task.

I've been using AnyDvD-HD for ripping BD and DVD without any issue.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
videopho,

What 3D LCD you get, and any suggestions on graphics card? Thanks!

I use the Mits DLP 73" for 3d viewing.
Playing JC2 or BFBC2 in 3d is just absolutely awesome!
I use the Gigabyte 460 which runs very cool under load. (34c idle, 50's c load), not to mention very quiet.
The rig I just built is HTPC which somewhat limits of what you can put inside due to heat and noise.
The more beefier cards may give you better frame rate but heat and noise would tax you big time.

Last edited:

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
well I got 2 disk one red and one blue
one had dvd8 the other dvd9
as far as I can find both of them you have to go thru the menus and install all the other blu ray bloat

put in VanHelsing and it says does not support playback of this format.

anyone know what the spyware they install with powerdvd that people say you can disable???

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not sure. I have a different LG (the BR burning/HD-DVD combo drive), and I didn't have an issue with it. It is in my HTPC, and have done just about everything you can do with it (except burn a BR disc, they are just too expensive still so I don't know if that even works properly). It has worked fine for playback with both PowerDVD 9 and TMT3 for Blu-Ray, PowerDVD9 for HD-DVD, and has worked with Mediaportal's built in player for DVD's. That said, you really want to get DVDAnywhereHD with one of these....

Snaggletooth

Dec 3, 2004
I haven't tried playing any BR discs yet, but I like this drive. It's super quiet (is that an issue anymore these days?).

As far as the two discs, one's marked Ver.1.2a and the other Ver.1.1a. So I imagine they kindly included older software for compatibility?

I hope this thing lasts. My last one was a sony and it was not doing so good the last couple years :)

zposter

Mar 23, 2007
just got mine and can't get it to play a blu ray movie.
Installed the powerdvd 9 (with all the other crap ahhhhh) is this the correct version.
Tried it with anydvdHD still says unknown format.
Is your OS WinXP by any chance?