Letting your nerd colours fly

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Give an example of how your nerdyness manifests itself most keenly. I can think of two examples:

1 - for me personally - my wife just said, "... hypothetically speaking...", and my memory served up a instant reference to that TNG episode where a Ferengi says in response, "I never learned to speak hypothetical!"... of course, saying this out loud would deservedly result in the speaker getting twatted, but anyway, it made me smile.

2 - Many years ago, I was organising interviews for a technical role. I asked a co-worker what they'd consider asking as an interviewer (because I wanted to avoid asking stupid typical interviewer type questions and come up with something useful instead), and Bladerunner nerd that he is, he responded by murmuring, "One one eight seven at Hunterwasser...", and while I like the movie a lot I certainly don't have obscure references like that readily available to mind, so he explained it by saying someone who does would get his vote.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Hm. I play at a regular jam session, and it's pretty common that when someone famous dies (David Bowie, Prince, Tom Petty, etc) some folks will play one of their songs as a tribute. When Stan Lee died, I played the theme from Spider-man.
I attend renaissance festivals in costume, once as a wizard.
I have a 1up mushroom tattoo.

Reactions: pmv and mikeymikec

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
i hit level 17 on my classic wow warrior today. it is still difficult to level but being able to see is pretty nice.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I carry a UV light in my briefcase. One never knows when one might encounter a fluorescent rock. I have a holster for it. I wear it.

I have a Puget Systems beanie.

Reactions: mikeymikec

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Being a nerd is no fun anymore since we are accepted in mainstream culture nowadays

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I only played soccer in grade school and never learned the rules. Kept getting called "offsides" and dont know what that means. Eventually I got sick and quit. I do not know the rules to other sports and football in particular is a mystery to me.
I joined the Cub Scouts purely for the cool shirts.
Joined the chess club just to hang out with people cooler than me and learn from them.
Got beat up by girls. And sometimes boys, but they frequently felt sorry for me and left me alone.
Start role-playing with MERP, and it was at one of those Mandatory Fun days in junior high. Eventually got into D&D. And Twilight 2000, Rifts, PBRP, Heroes Unlimited, Shadowrun, and a few others I cannot recall.
Played Magic and one year spent all my allowance on cards & sleeves. I didnt even like the game itself too much, mostly liked the cards.
Lost my virginity to a 36 year old mom.
Gave up D&D because it got too mainstream.
Took electronics in high school for fun.
Joined the Navy specifically to be a nuclear technician. Failed because I'd never been really challenged before in school and it was actually hard.
Kissed a lot of butts to get into the Navy Advanced Electronics Program.
Out-nerded all the other technicians at each of my commands.
Built my own computers from scratch since DOS 3.0.
Have a crippling fear of most other humans and all human interactions even though I beat up several boatswains mates while I was in deck department.
Like cats better than girls, even though I desperately want to have a girl in my life.
Look down on all the ignorant masses that dont understand how computers work.
Need glasses because my prescription is too strong for contact lenses.
Love mountain dew more than water.
Love root beer more than mountain dew.
Avoided all interactions with the police up until age 37 and even then it was due to being attacked by a guy who was also short and chubby and pasty and bald.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I still pretty actively play VGs in my spare time. GF and I play WoW quite often (few times a week). Branching into other hobbies though, like growing giant sequoias and blacksmithing.

GF and I watched fully all of ST:NG, DS9, and VOY, currently watching through stargate SG1. Weekend morning traditions, it'll probably take us a few years to work through all the SG's.

Most of our gifts to each other are nerdy in some way. She got me a glowing 'magic potion' desk thing for work, I got her a WoW Forsaken pendant and a crystal tree. We're pretty unabashed with our nerdiness.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I still pretty actively play VGs in my spare time. GF and I play WoW quite often (few times a week). Branching into other hobbies though, like growing giant sequoias and blacksmithing.

GF and I watched fully all of ST:NG, DS9, and VOY, currently watching through stargate SG1. Weekend morning traditions, it'll probably take us a few years to work through all the SG's.

Most of our gifts to each other are nerdy in some way. She got me a glowing 'magic potion' desk thing for work, I got her a WoW Forsaken pendant and a crystal tree. We're pretty unabashed with our nerdiness.
We watched all of TNG together and are on the fifth season of VOY :)
Rewatched Firefly in between, and planning to move to Dr. Who next.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I have Longclaw and Anduril hanging in my house, and I've actually run out of wall space for all my Lord of the Rings prints in my office. And the "I'd rather be in the Shire" sticker on my truck.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I have Longclaw and Anduril hanging in my house, and I've actually run out of wall space for all my Lord of the Rings prints in my office. And the "I'd rather be in the Shire" sticker on my truck.
All I have is this lousy tattoo in Tengwar :p

Reactions: dainthomas

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
of course, saying this out loud would deservedly result in the speaker getting twatted
I do not think that word means what you think it means. :eek:

At least you don't keep using that word.

Reactions: IronWing

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I still have my ultra expensive limited edition DnD Dice set, hand made out of solid copper. :X

Reactions: pmv

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I still have my ultra expensive limited edition DnD Dice set, hand made out of solid copper. :X
I hope you use a rolling tray with those!
I own literally hundreds of dice... no metal ones, two sets of stone ones though.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
hi every1 im new!!!!!!! *holds up spork* my name is katy but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol…as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet random ppl like me ^_^… im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch invader zim w/ my girlfreind (im bi if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite tv show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol…neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses!!!!
DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein random again ^_^ hehe…toodles!!!!!

love and waffles,

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i confess that i have unnerded myself after getting laid for the first time. I now shun all things nerd.

Physics is NOT nerdy because i dont actually do the math.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
i confess that i have unnerded myself after getting laid for the first time. I now shun all things nerd.

Physics is NOT nerdy because i dont actually do the math.
After your tirade about what constitutes a PC game vs not a PC game? Sorry buddy, you're still a nerd :colbert:

• Haha
Reactions: highland145