Letter From A Soldier

Lady In Red

Mar 15, 2000
This letter was posted on another site that I visit. Hope you all enjoy.

As I sit in my workspace on board the San Diego-based aircraft carrier USS Constellation, operating in the Arabian Gulf in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the sound of gunfire and explosions coming from the TV behind me are a stark reminder that I am at war.

Occasionally, I twist around in my chair and stare into the screen, still trying to maintain focus on my job. Some news reports grab the attention of everyone in the room. While the news for the most part seems good, there are instances when it is not: Another U.S. soldier has been killed; another aircraft is missing; another helicopter went down; the crew cannot
be found.

Although this news is disturbing, most often the bad news we hear doesn't take place in enemy territory or anywhere near it. The news that most often distracts me and my shipmates from our worktakes place 10,000 miles away, back home in places like San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and New York.

The news I'm referring to is of the protesters. What is it exactly that is being protested? Are the protests trying to convince the government that killing is wrong? If so, I invite you to leave the streets of San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and New York; leave your wives and husbands and parents and children and your brothers and sisters; leave your home and your car and your job and join me, 10,000 miles from everything you've ever known and everyone you've ever loved. Come protest to convince the government that killing is wrong. Convince the government that using chemical weapons against its own people is wrong. Convince the government that placing bombs in our cities' buildings is wrong. Convince the government that bombing U.S. Navy ships while they are in port is wrong. Convince the government that flying hijacked planes full of innocent people into buildings filled with someone's parents or someone's children is wrong. Convince these governments. Our government is already convinced. That's why I'm here. That's why we're all here, because we are all convinced. Don't protest because my government took me away from my family. That was a sacrifice that my shipmates and I made willingly. That was a sacrifice that my brothers in the Marines, the Army and Air Force made willingly. Our British cousins made the sacrifice willingly.

Don't feel sorry for us. We chose to be here. We chose to raise our right hands and take the oath. We made that choice for different reasons, to achieve a common goal. I joined to protect a country I love and people I love.

I joined to protect the high-school dropout and the Harvard graduate, to protect the millionaire football player and the minimum-wage worker. I joined to protect the president and to protect the homeless man down the street.

I joined to protect you, the reader, whom I will probably never meet. I joined to protect your children, your spouse and your parents. I joined to protect your freedom of religion, your freedom of choice. I joined so you wouldn't have to.

I joined to protect your black and Hispanic neighbors and your Jewish and Muslim co-workers. I joined to protect your freedom of speech and your entire way of life. And I joined to protect your right to protest. But please, don't protest against me.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well said. Any response from the war protestors? I figured there wouldn't be any response.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Maybe I missed something with all the news going around, but what's the deal with blaming Iraq for things Al Queda did (bomb buildings, navy ship bombing in port, flying hijakced planes)?

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
Maybe I missed something with all the news going around, but what's the deal with blaming Iraq for things Al Queda did (bomb buildings, navy ship bombing in port, flying hijakced planes)?

Uh yes there is... they're arabs... and stuff... anyway its not that important so dont try and think about it too hard... its really all about liberating the people people of Iraq.

REMEMBER 9/11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PEACE!

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001

Ummm...where did that come from?

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Greyd

Ummm... from me in Nashville, TN?

I'm just wondering why he's blaming the former Iraqi regime for things that Al Queda did. I'm not anti-war, but I don't think he should have listed those reasons in his letter :confused:

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001

I'm just wondering why he's blaming the former Iraqi regime for things that Al Queda did. I'm not anti-war, but I don't think he should have listed those reasons in his letter :confused:

Ahh..I see what you are saying.

birdog

Jul 11, 2001
I believe they pose a terrorist treat, and that is what he is saying. Not that they actually did them, but their potential to do them. I myself believe they would have also attacked the US eventually had we not gone to War and Freed the Iraqi people

Armoth

Jan 22, 2003

It might take some time, but we have already started to uncover links between the regime and Al Qaeda. There are more common bonds between peoples than you might think. To many of those people, the US is evil so various groups/factions/organizations might help fund each other's projects or work together when otherwise they might not if it wasn't for having a common enemy.

Go USA! Go President Bush! Go Troops!

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: sMiLeYz

Uh yes there is... they're arabs... and stuff... anyway its not that important so dont try and think about it too hard... its really all about liberating the people people of Iraq.

REMEMBER 9/11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PEACE!

Uh yes there is... there were terrorist camps well associated with Al-Queda within his country, care to discuss the traces of WMD found there or the manuals with recipes and dispersion methods? Don't try to think too hard of the havos that could wreak. What about the training camp found south of Baghdad? America will forget 9/11 the day we forget Pearl Harbor a*shole.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Lady In Red

As I sit in my workspace on board the San Diego-based aircraft carrier USS Constellation, operating in the Arabian Gulf in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, the sound of gunfire and explosions coming from the TV behind me are a stark reminder that I am at war.

Occasionally, I twist around in my chair and stare into the screen, still trying to maintain focus on my job. Some news reports grab the attention of everyone in the room. While the news for the most part seems good, there are instances when it is not: Another U.S. soldier has been killed; another aircraft is missing; another helicopter went down; the crew cannot
be found.

Although this news is disturbing, most often the bad news we hear doesn't take place in enemy territory or anywhere near it. The news that most often distracts me and my shipmates from our worktakes place 10,000 miles away, back home in places like San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and New York.

The news I'm referring to is of the protesters. What is it exactly that is being protested? Are the protests trying to convince the government that killing is wrong? If so, I invite you to leave the streets of San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and New York; leave your wives and husbands and parents and children and your brothers and sisters; leave your home and your car and your job and join me, 10,000 miles from everything you've ever known and everyone you've ever loved. Come protest to convince the government that killing is wrong. Convince the government that using chemical weapons against its own people is wrong. Convince the government that placing bombs in our cities' buildings is wrong. Convince the government that bombing U.S. Navy ships while they are in port is wrong. Convince the government that flying hijacked planes full of innocent people into buildings filled with someone's parents or someone's children is wrong. Convince these governments. Our government is already convinced. That's why I'm here. That's why we're all here, because we are all convinced. Don't protest because my government took me away from my family. That was a sacrifice that my shipmates and I made willingly. That was a sacrifice that my brothers in the Marines, the Army and Air Force made willingly. Our British cousins made the sacrifice willingly.

Don't feel sorry for us. We chose to be here. We chose to raise our right hands and take the oath. We made that choice for different reasons, to achieve a common goal. I joined to protect a country I love and people I love.

I joined to protect the high-school dropout and the Harvard graduate, to protect the millionaire football player and the minimum-wage worker. I joined to protect the president and to protect the homeless man down the street.

I joined to protect you, the reader, whom I will probably never meet. I joined to protect your children, your spouse and your parents. I joined to protect your freedom of religion, your freedom of choice. I joined so you wouldn't have to.

I joined to protect your black and Hispanic neighbors and your Jewish and Muslim co-workers. I joined to protect your freedom of speech and your entire way of life. And I joined to protect your right to protest. But please, don't protest against me.

I'm pro war, but even I think this was written by some emotional Christian who is sitting here back home. Sounds like yet another one of those cheesy internet chain mails.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: birdog
I believe they pose a terrorist treat, and that is what he is saying. Not that they actually did them, but their potential to do them. I myself believe they would have also attacked the US eventually had we not gone to War and Freed the Iraqi people

The potential exists in every country.

Armoth

Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Marshallj
Originally posted by: Lady In Red

be found.

I'm pro war, but even I think this was written by some emotional Christian who is sitting here back home. Sounds like yet another one of those cheesy internet chain mails.

Umm...do you know any servicemen or servicewomen? Just because it is well written doesn't mean it's a fake.