Let's talk cordless tools ... and dead batteries

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Throw the tool and batteries away and buy LITHIUM.
You can get drill and driver sets for $150-300, depending on brand and deals.

You can't go wrong with lithium: Ryobi, Rigid, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Festool($$), Hitachi, Bosch, Makita.

Rigid $139 deal.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...210757&cj=true&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4150373-_-11210757

By chance I just happen to have a full set of li-ion Nextec tools. Not as powerful as DeWalt's 18v then are "finesse" tools that will do about 90% of what the 18v set does ... and sometimes better. A few years ago I had to hand a new door in the house and was having a very difficult time with the job using the DeWalt tools (they were overkill so I tried the Nextec and they were just right. I use them 5 time more than the DeWalt set.

bryanl

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2006
Open the battery case and measure the cells individually. Individually trickle charge any cell that reads 0V or negative voltage - any other charging method will have no effect on such cells. Generally trickle charging the entire battery at C/10 will be better for it. C is the amp hour rating of the battery, typically 2-4 amp hours for nicads and nimhs, so C/10 would be 200-400mA. Do not try this with lithium batteries.

Last edited: