Lets Talk About Trump's Poll Numbers. Or Not.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/politics/trump-2020-kickoff-pollster-firing/index.html

Seems Donald doesn't care for facts that much.
If he can't spin it into FAKE NEWS, and then go on the attack, and fire a few people.
His own polls show him losing, and naturally Donald doesn't like that.
Yeah I know.... They said the same thing about Trump and Hillary back in 2016, and then Hillary lost.
Is Trump believing his own polls? Is that the problem? And the possibility of him losing in 2020?

The big question is, if Trump refuses to accept the polling numbers, especially when they show him losing, then how is Donald Trump going to take election night?
When he loses to <insert name> on election night and must face that fact?
Does anyone else see a problem here?
Trump loses on election night, calls it fake news or a rigged election or simply calls it collusion against him.
And to add to that nightmare, Fox News and the entire republican establishment then agreeing with Trump.
Claiming that Trump did not lose, could not lose, was impossible for him to lose thus it has to be a rigged faked election of collusion.
<insert name> may win the most votes and win the electoral college come November 2020, but it is pretty clear that Donald Trump will never concede.
And his friends over at Fox and in the US congress will do whatever needed to assure Donald does not conceded.
Fox news will cover Trump's ass, and Mitch McConnell will make up a whole new set of rules as to why Donald Trump should not conceded.
It doesn't look good.
Like I said, if Donald Trump refuses to accept his poll numbers, then how in the world will he ever accept losing the presidency?
And what might Fox and Mitch be plotting to make sure Donald Trump doesn't lose?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Obviously something will happen, and because whatever happens will not happen because of anything I do or don’t do, I won’t worry about it. Perhaps in 200 years or so, if humans are still around, some other potential political crisis will loom somewhere. In that case I will have no more input on the outcome of Thant one as I do this one minus knowing what it will be. So why should knowing or not knowing affect anything?

Somewhere I have a card with a picture of a weird looking smiling man by the name of Meher Baba on it with the words, “Relax and be happy” on it too, which seems like good advise especially as it also says, “ I am the Divinely Beloved who loves you more than you can possibly ever love yourself” or something close to that. Hope that helps.

Feb 4, 2009
Huge disclaimer, last cycles poll numbers.

Maybe the President is some sort of idiot savant regarding polling.

Firing people who give opinions he doesn’t like is very week & childish, however it’s his campaign staff and he may do whatever he chooses.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The irony is that Fox News' polls from this Sunday show Trump losing against multiple Democrat candidates in the general election. Fox, the Republican propaganda wing, can't paint a scenario where Trump is the winner (though he comes close with a few candidates). This won't reflect the exact voting, and a lot can change in a year, but it's fairly telling.

Feb 4, 2009
The irony is that Fox News' polls from this Sunday show Trump losing against multiple Democrat candidates in the general election. Fox, the Republican propaganda wing, can't paint a scenario where Trump is the winner (though he comes close with a few candidates). This won't reflect the exact voting, and a lot can change in a year, but it's fairly telling.

If the piece aired for Fox & Friends it was there to send a warning to the President because all his advisers are afraid to do it.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Fox, the Republican propaganda wing, can't paint a scenario where Trump is the winner (though he comes close with a few candidates)

Which is why we should choose the nominee who is up well over 5 points on Trump as polling goes on.
Likely that will be a person who supports more leftist economic policies echoing FDR than one who goes with "middle of the road" policies more palatable to the big donors.
But hey maybe things will change by summer/fall/winter of 2020.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Which is why we should choose the nominee who is up well over 5 points on Trump as polling goes on.
Likely that will be a person who supports more leftist economic policies echoing FDR than one who goes with "middle of the road" policies more palatable to the big donors.
But hey maybe things will change by summer/fall/winter of 2020.

Well, right now it comes down to Biden or Sanders, so I don't know that it'll be someone who's more clearly on the left. I just hope that whoever wins the Dem primary gets full support rather than the backbiting that helped Trump win in 2016.

On that note: I still find it fascinating that there's a subset of people who voted for Trump who were going to vote for Sanders, as if the only goal was "smash the system" rather than making the country better.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
On that note: I still find it fascinating that there's a subset of people who voted for Trump who were going to vote for Sanders, as if the only goal was "smash the system" rather than making the country better.

That subset of people were more concerned about economic conditions than anything else (in my humble opinion) nd Bernie's economic policy ideas are very much a callback to FDR's economic policies in a lot of ways.
Trump just was able to lie well enough and tell that group of people that he also would help them. Sadly they bought the lie.

Remember that this is early still in the cycle and that Bernie was polling very low too until early in 2016. there might be someone who surprises us and is able to challenge Biden and Bernie as frontrunners. I'm hoping that who ever that may be if they break out is closer to Bernie than to Biden in policies.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
The very powerful and the very stupid have but one thing in common - they don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. This can be quite inconvenient if you are one of those facts that needs altering.

I wish I could claim credit for that paraphrased quote, but it seems to fit here. Trump is both powerful AND stupid, and we as a nation will continue to suffer so long as he is at the helm. As far as polls go, its pretty far out to take them too seriously. If he is acting out like this now, election night ought to be one heck of a show.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Trump will be at his finest in his finest hour on the campaign trail.

This is where he belongs rather than in the White House. He talks a really good story, hitting all the hot button topics without saying anything specific that he could be nailed down on and knowing his supporters really don't care anyway.

MAGA v. 2.0 is already spit shined and hot to trot. The Repub base is restless and anxious to hear them fighting words again that mean absolutely nothing yet somehow means everything to them.

All of those empty promises that Trump never fulfilled will be blamed on the Dems or ignored because the fight is on and there is nothing else that matters, all is forgiven and forgotten, onward racist Christian soldiers, to the front you phony fiscal conservatives, lead the way you lying backstabbing anti-Constitutionalists, fuck all for the win.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Trump is currently whistling past the graveyard, creating his own reality as he goes. I doubt he'll be able to project that into voters' minds nearly as well as in 2016.