Let's talk about the Dish Network Hopper and it's little Joeys

skriefal

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
I have a Hopper and two Joeys. They work as expected, and it's nice to finally be able to access DVR'ed recordings from any TV in the house.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Got a Hopper and Joey installed with new Dish service yesterday. I haven't used it too much yet, but the boxes and UIs sure are a helluva lot better than the shit Comcast gives you.

The Primetime Anytime and auto hop features are awesome.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
From my understanding I can see where this will be a great setup for people that watch a lot of primetime on the big 4 networks.

The system seems handicapped by just having 3 tuners, though, for people that really want to watch TV in more than a room or two. The Hopper really needs 5 or more tuners like the HR34 that DirecTV has, especially since each Joey uses one of the Hopper's tuners every time you turn it on. If you have 3 rooms watching TV at one time, you're done. No recording of any kind, let alone recording multiple programs. Would kill me on Saturdays when I'm recording multiple College Football games at a time.

Anyone got a multiple Hopper setup? I'd be interested to know how they would work together.

Edit:

Just did an online chat with the Dish rep and he says that multiple Hoppers are not able to work together. If you had a 2 Hopper/2 Joey setup, you'd be stuck with 2 different systems, essentially. He did say that a Hopper with more tuners was in the works, but didn't have a timetable. Looks like, in my case, I'd be just as happy with 2 722s and an OTA.

Last edited:

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
From my understanding I can see where this will be a great setup for people that watch a lot of primetime on the big 4 networks.

The system seems handicapped by just having 3 tuners, though, for people that really want to watch TV in more than a room or two. The Hopper really needs 5 or more tuners like the HR34 that DirecTV has, especially since each Joey uses one of the Hopper's tuners every time you turn it on. If you have 3 rooms watching TV at one time, you're done. No recording of any kind, let alone recording multiple programs. Would kill me on Saturdays when I'm recording multiple College Football games at a time.

Anyone got a multiple Hopper setup? I'd be interested to know how they would work together.

Edit:

Just did an online chat with the Dish rep and he says that multiple Hoppers are not able to work together. If you had a 2 Hopper/2 Joey setup, you'd be stuck with 2 different systems, essentially. He did say that a Hopper with more tuners was in the works, but didn't have a timetable. Looks like, in my case, I'd be just as happy with 2 722s and an OTA.

For now that is the case, Dish is working on software that will allow the Hoppers to communicate with each other across the MoCA network to allow for a pool of recordings & tuners. Supposedly it's coming out sometime "soon".