let's learn about: commotio cordis

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. It's basically heart fibrillation as a result of an impact to the chest within a specific split second (when the the heart "resets" itself). Usually happens among kids and they end up dying.

more info

I remember a local case where some kid was batting and got hit in the chest with a pitch. He died as a result of this.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Only impacts that occur during repolarization result in ventricular fibrillation. Impacts during other portions of the cycle result in ST-segment elevation. Even when the impact results in fibrillation the victim can be given a chance to live if CPR is started immediately. With commotio cordis you CAN NOT expect the paramedics to arrive in adequate time.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Only impacts that occur during repolarization result in ventricular fibrillation. Impacts during other portions of the cycle result in ST-segment elevation. Even when the impact results in fibrillation the victim can be given a chance to live if CPR is started immediately. With commotio cordis you CAN NOT expect the paramedics to arrive in adequate time.

Is one of those times when AEDs are very handy to have around?

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Jzero
Originally posted by: DrNoobie

Is one of those times when AEDs are very handy to have around?

Yes, as long as you remember that AEDs are not a replacement for CPR, but a supplement.

fw3308

Dec 12, 2003
same thing happened to Chris Pronger of the St. Louis Blues 2 years ago in the playoffs when he was hit in the chest by a slapshot. This guy is 6'4" and crumpled like a piece of paper when it happened. Very very scary sight. He is okay and is still playing although I hate the Blues with a passion (very biased towards the Red Wings).

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: fw3308
same thing happened to Chris Pronger of the St. Louis Blues 2 years ago in the playoffs when he was hit in the chest by a slapshot. This guy is 6'4" and crumpled like a piece of paper when it happened. Very very scary sight. He is okay and is still playing although I hate the Blues with a passion (very biased towards the Red Wings).

I remember that.

oh, RED WINGS SUCK!!! (PSA from your fiendly Avalance fan)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Hmm... never heard that about Pronger. Surprised he survived something like this... from the documentation, sounds like chances of survival are low... even after resuscitation, there are complications.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: rh71
Hmm... never heard that about Pronger. Surprised he survived something like this... from the documentation, sounds like chances of survival are low... even after resuscitation, there are complications.

Irreversible ischemic encephalopathy is common when a victim is resuciatated after the 1 minute mark. If CPR is introduced within 1 minute of the onset of CC, and chest thumps or electric defirbriliation is used, the victim shows a 100% recovery without encepalopathy. If CPR is introduced within 2 minutes, survival rate drops to 80%, and after 4 minutes the survival rate is essentially 0%.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Hmm... I highly doubt Chris Pronger received CPR within minutes of this happening. Are you guys sure that's what happened to him ?