Let's clear the air on something. Trump never called white supremacists or neo-Nazis "very fine people."

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Please supply evidence of any people at the rally that day on the right-wing side who were not Nazis or white nationalists.

This is the fact that checks your nonsense. There was NO ONE ELSE THERE. It was a white nationalist rally.
n
Please supply evidence of any people at the rally that day on the right-wing side who were not Nazis or white nationalists.

This is the fact that checks your nonsense. There was NO ONE ELSE THERE. It was a white nationalist rally.
and the advertisements made it clear it was a white nationalist rally. What more do people need?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Decent if misguided people who showed up to protest the removal of the statue took one look around & said "Wut? I'm with them!?! I can't be with them. I'm outta here!"

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This thread is a perfect demonstration of the hoax funnel, you are literally arguing with transcript and video. Your narrative is devoid of reality, you can read words and see nothing, you are Trump derangement made flesh.
https://blog.dilbert.com/2019/04/30/the-fine-people-hoax-funnel/

The left loves to talk about lies and "fact checks", and that's the clue that they intend on being the most guilty of crimes against reason.

This from the guy that literally believes that a security guard carrying a flashlight was actually an adrenaline pen for the "ailing Hilary Clinton."

Fuck off, dickbag. Do you understand that you have absolutely no respect around here, and for good reason: you have been proven, over and over again, to be peddling in exposed Russian propaganda. Time and time and fucking time again.

So, fuck off, Russian assburger.

I don't think anyone actually believes you were duped, either. It's pretty obvious that you are a willing vessel for lies and propaganda.

Reactions: esquared
Nov 25, 2013
This thread is a perfect demonstration of the hoax funnel, you are literally arguing with transcript and video. Your narrative is devoid of reality, you can read words and see nothing, you are Trump derangement made flesh.

The left loves to talk about lies and "fact checks", and that's the clue that they intend on being the most guilty of crimes against reason.

Shoes will not replace us!

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Maybe he means "the very fine people" were the media that was filming the "Jews will not replace us!" chants?

I don't think so, but I guess it's possible..

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

You know why the right doesn`t like to talk a fact check and the truth?
Because almost everytime you fact check them they are caught lying!
The reason the right doesn`t like the truth is because to tell the truth means you can`t lie....and they Love to lie way more than they love to be truthful!!

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I read the Scott Adams article, and I would agree there's a little bit of nuance to the issue (I accept Trump didn't explicitly have in mind an image of torch-weilding, anti-Jewish chanting, Nazis when he said 'fine people'), but in the end the basic point is still the same. Adams is clearly bending over backwards to find a way to put a non-appalling spin on Trump's comments, but even viewed as charitably as possible those comments say something disturbing about Trump's world-view.

Trump himself talked of 'both sides'. Implying there were two sides. One of those sides was overwhelmingly Nazis and white-supremacists. It was a far-right rally. I remember from accounts at the time, before the lethal violence, that there were some there who claimed not to be actual Nazis and white-supremacists - mostly gun-nuts and militia types, about whom you can quibble as to whether they are explicitly racist or not (I think in practice those guys tend to be so, but, OK, maybe not Nazi levels, and not as a point of fundamental ideology).

But if, as Trump himself stated, there were 'two sides', then everyone on one side there was on the same side as large numbers of actual Nazis. Perhaps it's just me, but to be on the same side as Nazis strikes me as being incompatible with being a 'fine person'. And I don't think Trump really thought it through very much anyway, in terms of identifying exactly who was present, he was just reflecting his instinctive sympathy with the racist right.

Conversely, the 'other side' would have included a wide gamut of people, including I'm sure some over-excitable Antifa types, some of whom actively like punch-ups. But it clearly isn't a symmetrical situation, the proportion of 'extremists' on 'each side' was very different, plus I do not and never will, see hard-left/anarchist/antifa people, even the ones who enjoy street-fights with Nazis a bit too much, as equivalent to the far-right. Such groups have no historical track record of either murdering innocent people just for their race or other characteristics, or of taking over the state (anarchists couldn't manage to take over a boy scout picnic, as any communist will tell you).