Let's clear the air on something. Trump never called white supremacists or neo-Nazis "very fine people."

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
For which there is zero evidence any of them were at the Nazi rally as Trump claimed.

Let me ask you this, if it turns out that not everyone at the protest was a Nazi or a Nazi sympathizer (as I've read plenty before), but there were some people that were not white supremacists looking to protest the removal of the statue, would it make a difference to you? Trump made it quite clear that he does not side with white supremacists, nor did he mean them when he said, "very fine people." Yet your type continues to say he did despite his claims, the horse's own mouth, otherwise. I have a feeling it wouldn't matter to you.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Let me ask you this, if it turns out that not everyone at the protest was a Nazi or a Nazi sympathizer (as I've read plenty before), but there were some people that were not white supremacists looking to protest the removal of the statue, would it make a difference to you? Trump made it quite clear that he does not side with white supremacists, nor did he mean them when he said, "very fine people." Yet your type continues to say he did despite his claims, the horse's own mouth, otherwise. I have a feeling it wouldn't matter to you.

Yes of course it would matter if Trump were lying about the presence of other people.

Remember, just because Trump is a pathological liar is no reason to give him a pass on it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That's ridiculous. What does a decent person do when they find themselves in bad company? They part company. If nothing else, they should realize they're not dressed for the occasion, having not brought shields, helmets, body armor, clubs, pepper spray or white power regalia with them.

Those who remain deserve to be condemned. There wasn't a "very fine person" among them. That's who Trump was talking about.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So still unable to locate a single one of these very fine people, huh?

It’s amazing how conservatives will humiliate themselves trying to justify something Trump just clearly made up with no care as to whether it was true or false.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
There has been a very direct and informative highlight of that Q&A floating around.

In that same moment Trump said:
Neo-Nazis and White Nationalists should be condemned totally.

fine-people-hoax-d2lhepau4aaxemg-orig-jpg.5593

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There has been a very direct and informative highlight of that Q&A floating around.

In that same moment Trump said:
Neo-Nazis and White Nationalists should be condemned totally.

fine-people-hoax-d2lhepau4aaxemg-orig-jpg.5593

This was his third attempt at a statement on this issue and the white supremacists themselves said he was lying.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yes of course it would matter if Trump were lying about the presence of other people.

Remember, just because Trump is a pathological liar is no reason to give him a pass on it.

I'm asking if it'd matter to YOU. Would you agree that Trump wasn't talking about Nazis when he said "very fine people" if there were others there that were not Nazis?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
This was his third attempt at a statement on this issue and the white supremacists themselves said he was lying.

White supremacists would never lie for the sake of their cause. FFS

The link in the OP with this quote from Jake Tapper is meaningless to you, right?

"Instead, Tapper described that portion of the press conference: “Now, elsewhere in those remarks, Trump did condemn neo-Nazis and white supremacists. So he’s not saying that the neo-Nazis and white supremacists are very fine people.”"

Or this?

"CNN contributor Steve Cortes took his own network to task, noting that CNNs’ own reporting at the time made clear that Trump had been referring to people in Charlottesville to protest the removal of a statue — not neo-Nazis."

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm asking if it'd matter to YOU. Would you agree that Trump wasn't talking about Nazis when he said "very fine people" if there were others there that were not Nazis?

I’m not interested in entertaining hypotheticals created to justify Trump’s lies.

He tried to defend the Nazis several times and then when people got mad about it he invented some pretend non-Nazis to claim he was defending them instead. Now chumps like you are twisting yourselves into pretzels to try and defend his lies.

You realize he doesn’t actually care if what he said is true, right?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I’m not interested in entertaining hypotheticals created to justify Trump’s lies.

He tried to defend the Nazis several times and then when people got mad about it he invented some pretend non-Nazis to claim he was defending them instead. Now chumps like you are twisting yourselves into pretzels to try and defend his lies.

You realize he doesn’t actually care if what he said is true, right?

Apparently neither do you. So long as it fits your leftist emotionally held narrative, eh?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
White supremacists would never lie for the sake of their cause. FFS

The link in the OP with this quote from Jake Tapper is meaningless to you, right?

"Instead, Tapper described that portion of the press conference: “Now, elsewhere in those remarks, Trump did condemn neo-Nazis and white supremacists. So he’s not saying that the neo-Nazis and white supremacists are very fine people.”"

Or this?

"CNN contributor Steve Cortes took his own network to task, noting that CNNs’ own reporting at the time made clear that Trump had been referring to people in Charlottesville to protest the removal of a statue — not neo-Nazis."

Lol you know as well as I do they aren’t lying. They correctly view Trump as a president who shares their views.

They aren’t trying to smear him or get him in trouble, they’re just really happy that he’s on their side.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Apparently neither do you. So long as it fits your leftist emotionally held narrative, eh?

Of course I care if what he said is true or not. I deal with facts and logic instead of feelings like you do. Remember, I already told you it’s important not to give Trump a pass for his lies just because he’s a pathological liar.

If those other very fine people were at the rally by all means show evidence of this. If you can’t, just admit you can’t.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Fox News was running coverage on how people of southern heritage were protesting the removal of statues. The situation was painted as completely innocent people being hijacked by other, violent, groups. Whether that was ever true or not, that's how Republicans viewed the onset of this event. Democrats ignored any concept of innocent people and just painted over everyone as Nazis. Which, again, maybe that was true, I don't know the composition of everyone gathered.

We know some violence followed and the media drew our attention to a lot of bad people, especially the Nazis. But Republicans were still being fed the narrative of innocent people being responsible for the original gathering. That it was not supposed to be hijacked by others. Trump was obviously speaking towards that idea, as it was sold to him and everyone else watching Fox News. Then Trump condemned Nazis and White Supremacists. Did he expand upon that and make a big speech towards that idea? No. It's Trump.... you should be surprised if he can cobble together a single coherent line. If you expect a strong leader from him... I don't know wtf you are smoking but I want some.

You need to understand where people are coming from. And for that you have to bear witness to the shit Fox News is selling. Only then will you grasp what, and why. And it is hardly as nefarious as is being portrayed. The fixation on "both sides" rather than Trump condemning Nazis from the same speech is a very strong portent for the propaganda at play in modern politics.

Reactions: UglyCasanova

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Lol you know as well as I do they aren’t lying. They correctly view Trump as a president who shares their views.

They aren’t trying to smear him or get him in trouble, they’re just really happy that he’s on their side.

All I would give Trump “credit” for in this situation is that I don’t think he is actually a white nationalist. Just like he isn’t actually a supporter of the second amendment, isn’t actually a Christian, isn’t actually anti-abortion, doesn’t actually support the American worker, etc. All he’s done is identify that there are gullible single issue voters who will vote for someone who is obviously lying so long as they like the sound of the lies.

Reactions: ImpulsE69

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Fox News was running coverage on how people of southern heritage were protesting the removal of statues. The situation was painted as completely innocent people being hijacked by other, violent, groups. Whether that was ever true or not, that's how Republicans viewed the onset of this event. Democrats ignored any concept of innocent people and just painted over everyone as Nazis. Which, again, maybe that was true, I don't know the composition of everyone gathered.

We know some violence followed and the media drew our attention to a lot of bad people, especially the Nazis. But Republicans were still being fed the narrative of innocent people being responsible for the original gathering. That it was not supposed to be hijacked by others. Trump was obviously speaking towards that idea, as it was sold to him and everyone else watching Fox News. Then Trump condemned Nazis and White Supremacists. Did he expand upon that and make a big speech towards that idea? No. It's Trump.... you should be surprised if he can cobble together a single coherent line. If you expect a strong leader from him... I don't know wtf you are smoking but I want some.

You need to understand where people are coming from. And for that you have to bear witness to the shit Fox News is selling. Only then will you grasp what, and why. And it is hardly as nefarious as is being portrayed. The fixation on "both sides" rather than Trump condemning Nazis from the same speech is a very strong portent for the propaganda at play in modern politics.

I know they are the victims of propaganda. That doesn’t change the fact that I’m not going to accept what is very clearly something Donald Trump pulled out of his ass without evidence.

It was a Nazi rally. The people there were Nazis. It is frankly insane that conservatives will defend Trump’s transparent lies about this.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
All I would give Trump “credit” for in this situation is that I don’t think he is actually a white nationalist. Just like he isn’t actually a supporter of the second amendment, isn’t actually a Christian, isn’t actually anti-abortion, doesn’t actually support the American worker, etc. All he’s done is identify that there are gullible single issue voters who will vote for someone who is obviously lying so long as they like the sound of the lies.

It’s certainly possible he isn’t a white nationalist in the sense of sharing very specific beliefs about ‘white genocide’ or all that. It is abundantly clear he is a lifelong racist though.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
This black white supremacist disagrees.

It is quite obvious that Trump was not referring to Nazis, KKK, etc. when he said "very fine people." That is the crux of it.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Even the Briebert link brings up a bunch of neo Nazi's and a bunch of normal people were there to protest.
I ask:
If you are protesting something and a bunch of neo Nazis are standing with you. Don't you think its time to leave or at minimum re-evaluate what you are protesting?

They call that the down-low. When they want to be something but still have a way to claim NOT be something. It's something they picked up from the gay blacks that wanted to have sex together but couldn't because of societal pressures. They aren't actual Nazi's, just on the DL. "Just because I was there doesn't mean I was sucking D".