Let's clear the air on something. Trump never called white supremacists or neo-Nazis "very fine people."

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why did you post the same poster twice, trying to make it look like more than it actually was?

And it looks like they have dessert covered, "BAKED ALASKA" is listed there...?
Ok if that's your beef I'll update
1556421188068-jpeg.5653

Reactions: Victorian Gray

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
This is simple:

Show us pictures from the Unite The Right Rally in Charlottesville that day who were on the right, but NOT linked to white supremacists or neo-nazis.

I've been waiting for two years to see pictures of these "very fine people" who were NOT neo-nazis.

I have yet to see a picture.

This is the point: He tried to claim something that is NOT true while at the same time trying to give white nationalists credit.

I was not there, I can only go by things I've read, and what I've read and heard is that there were others there that were there for no other reason than to protest the removal of the statues, people that were not neo-Nazi types. It seems a lot of people support keeping the statue of a historical figure pertaining to a very important and pivotal time in America. Does it really seem that implausible to you?

images

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I was not there, I can only go by things I've read, and what I've read and heard is that there were others there that were there for no other reason than to protest the removal of the statues, people that were not neo-Nazi types. It seems a lot of people support keeping the statue of a historical figure pertaining to a very important and pivotal time in America. Does it really seem that implausible to you?

images
I believe we are all talking about the night of the Tiki march. Fox would have found the "very fine people" if they existed.

The next day there were fine people there to protest the assholes from the night before. One of their names was Heather Hyer.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Geosurface is and always will be a racist POS (before he walked away from the Democrat party of course).

Same shit, different account.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I submit this debate is a distraction but for which there is action which can be taken and lawful so that Trump and his supporters will defy the law or support that action out of fear. Arrest those who do not comply with the law and hold them in contempt until someone complies. Rinse repeat. If that means Barr, then so be it.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Thanks to the OP for posting this thread so that there is indeed an opportunity to clear the air, although I see he made a slight error in the title and I'll correct it now.

Let's clear the air on something. Trump called white supremacists or neo-Nazis "very fine people."

There. Much better.

And, for anyone who missed it
Donald Trump has now said more than 10,000 untrue things as president.

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Pretty sure the OP could see Trump wearing a swastika armband and would insist that it was just a nod to Buddhism.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

images

Those people are dressed really warmly for the middle of August, which is when the white supremacist rally in question took place. Those trees seem to be really barren too.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I'll give him credit he was concise but he's definitely getting teleprompter assistance.

Also does the audio seem to not match the video? Not saying its been altered it just plays kind of funny.

That video is a replay of

The "would" he was forced to correct to "wouldnt" spectacle of best brains ... Jfc, watching that shit again, what an enormous display of mental retardation...

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
This is one of the cases i actually agree with the OP. I hate Trump with a passion as in if he died, id smile, but i dont think he was calling Neo-Nazis and WS "very fine people" in all the videos, tweets ive seen. He does utter those words, but he is talking about the people who showed up to protest peacefully on both sides. Of course you had people looking to start fights on both sides, but they were not all of them, and he condemns those people specifically.

In this instance at least. But im pretty sure he supports that stuff outside of this instance and dog whistles to them, etc.

Edit: Damnit people you made Slow like my post...grr lol

This. There were statues being removed and protests against their removal happening at that time, not just in Charlottesville. No doubt there were people there that had zero to do with neonazis or white supremecists that were protesting the removal of those statues. Of course all we see are the two groups battling it out with each other and Trumps diplomacy leads a lot to be desired for sure but ultimately to pretend there weren’t people protesting the removal of the statues is disingenuous.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This. There were statues being removed and protests against their removal happening at that time, not just in Charlottesville. No doubt there were people there that had zero to do with neonazis or white supremecists that were protesting the removal of those statues. Of course all we see are the two groups battling it out with each other and Trumps diplomacy leads a lot to be desired for sure but ultimately to pretend there weren’t people protesting the removal of the statues is disingenuous.

I'll tell you one thing without a doubt. I might have an opinion that historical monuments have value beyond racist implications but I would GTFO the moment "Jews will not replace us" was heard. What I might think becomes secondary to the white supremacists who took over. If I leave I might be a good person but if I stay and disregard what is going on around me I lose that qualification entirely. Associating with neo-nazis and the like? There is no justification.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Those people are dressed really warmly for the middle of August, which is when the white supremacist rally in question took place. Those trees seem to be really barren too.

My first sentence addresses that. I did not get the name and biography of every person at the protest, I guess you did? The picture is related to the second sentence. A very fine group of people in support of the statue.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

No doubt, huh? Well then surely you can find a link to photos or interviews with some of them.

What’s really disingenuous is to claim something is a certainty based on zero evidence.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
My first sentence addresses that. I did not get the name and biography of every person at the protest, I guess you did? The picture is related to the second sentence. A very fine group of people in support of the statue.

For which there is zero evidence any of them were at the Nazi rally as Trump claimed.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
And what does this have to do with the event at hand? Why does Trump need to consider these people? This is nothing but a distraction from the root of the matter. The issue is the Charlottesville incident. If there were indeed fine people at other events, they would not have been insulted had Trump unambiguously denounced those participating in the Charlottesville protests. There was no need to bring up "fine people on both sides". Unless he was more concerned about the right saving face than he was about denouncing white supremacy and neonazis. To make his claims even less credible (if that is possible), this isn't even an isolated incident. Trump has consistently pandered to the white supremacists while trying to appear not to. Clear back in February of 2016, Trump refused to denounce the KKK or disavow his endorsement by David Duke.

The thing I find the most troubling is the right's need to defend Trump in this. They try to find an technicality to try to portray Trump's handling of this as truthful and appropriate. This is what leads to the left portraying the right as composed of a bunch of white supremacists. If you aren't one, you should be willing to condemn those that are.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Thanks to the OP for posting this thread so that there is indeed an opportunity to clear the air, although I see he made a slight error in the title and I'll correct it now.

Let's clear the air on something. Trump called white supremacists or neo-Nazis "very fine people."

There. Much better.

And, for anyone who missed it
Donald Trump has now said more than 10,000 untrue things as president.

You left off the second sentence of the headline: "And that's not the big story."

The big story, per the second paragraph:

What is surprising -- and even more important -- than the sheer number of falsehoods Trump spews is that the rate at which he does so has picked up dramatically seemingly with every month he has spent in the White House.

I knew his tweeting was going way up (30+ a day recently-heck I don't think I know anyone over thirty that tweets thirty times a month) but was unaware his lying was escalating as well.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Some people may well have come for that really dumb reason. Any who actually marched with the White Power freaks did so knowingly, making them *not* "very fine people". Decent if misguided people declined that opportunity.

I say "dumb" because it is. Whose business is it, anyway? The people of Charlottesville or the Kansas woman & her friends who drove overnight past dozens of other Confederate monuments to meddle in other people's business?