Let's clear the air on something. Trump never called white supremacists or neo-Nazis "very fine people."

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Also, I just realized something that our good friend Spidey conveniently left out. This was Trump's THIRD statement on this incident which came only after his previous two 'both sides' statements were roundly condemned.

Honestly guys we should have known better, of course Spidey lied about this.
Slow is just terribly concerned that only "the truth" is told about the President who has done literally nothing but spread the most vicious lies about everyone else.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yup

As soon as you find it acceptable to march alongside Neo-nazis and white-nationalists you're done. Any people who were there legitimately to protest the statue being removed and didn't share these disgusting beliefs should have left as soon as they saw those pieces of shit comprising most of their "side". There were no fine people on both sides, period.

This. 1000 times this. Very fine people opted out of the protest when the swastikas & the regalia of White Power & the Klan came out. The ones who remained were sympathizers at best. Trump pretends that it wasn't that way, of course.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Slow is just terribly concerned that only "the truth" is told about the President who has done literally nothing but spread the most vicious lies about everyone else.

He said that because Trump is just trolling people it's okay that he lies all the time.

Oddly enough he seems to believe that saying you can't believe a word that comes out of Trump's mouth is exculpatory. Baffling.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
This statement is logically dependent on one side being made up of ONLY neo-nazis. Is this your claim? That one side only had neo nazis and no other types of people? Because if it isn't, you can't make your claim. I don't like Trump either but these kind of claims and arguments stand out to me as absurd and reaching and we don't need them in order to know Trump is bad.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who think that people who support the statues (which is what I assume you are referring to) are not 'very fine people'. That is really the only debatable portion of this discussion. I feel I know what Trumps motives for adding the 'on both sides' comment was, and it wasn't because of some people not wanting statues to come down. It had more to do with he didn't want to lose money.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Are you seriously suggesting that someone could have marched in Charlottesville and somehow been unaware of the strain of white supremacy running through the protest? It was ... not subtle.

Yes, absolutely. There were people there that had nothing to do with Nazism. The only way the left has anything to hang on here would be if the entire crowd was filled with Nazis. That plainly was not the case, leftist projection filled in the rest as they saw fit, and now we have this thread today because of leftist propaganda.

Nov 29, 2006
The context is that if the majority of the people that showed up for your "side" of the protest are neo nazis and white supremacists, you fucking find another protest. If you march with them that's on you.

You are assuming they marched with them and didnt just stand elsewhere to protest and have no part of that NN marching crap. Obviously they wouldnt draw much media attention compared to what the nutjob NN were doing, but dont act like its only one side that spins and only show you what they want you to see. Its best to be in the middle and look at both sides skeptically when it comes to propaganda etc. Both sides have an agenda. This is fact. Granted i think one side spins a lot more, but ive seen spin on both sides. As a liberal i have to watch my own side as well to make sure they are not pulling a fast one on me.

Nov 29, 2006
He condemned the violence, but never condemned the Nazis/White Supremacists, he won't condemn them because he knows they vote for him and he needs every supporter he can get.

Yes, he has condemned them. I dont think he was being true to himself, but he has said as such.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Not a coincidence that Slow starts this thread the same day we commemorate Trump telling 10,000 lies in office. Still took him 827 days...but the pace has picked up recently.

Slow, you’ve got your work cut out for you if you hope to catch up!

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
You are assuming they marched with them and didnt just stand elsewhere to protest and have no part of that NN marching crap. Obviously they wouldnt draw much media attention compared to what the nutjob NN were doing, but dont act like its only one side that spins and only show you what they want you to see. Its best to be in the middle and look at both sides skeptically when it comes to propaganda etc. Both sides have an agenda. This is fact. Granted i think one side spins a lot more, but ive seen spin on both sides. As a liberal i have to watch my own side as well to make sure they are not pulling a fast one on me.

You're trying really hard to bothsides this, based on absolutely nothing. Show me videos of these so called separate "statue-only" protestors, and I will gladly accept what you're saying.
At the same time, you're gonna have way more trouble convincing me that Trump wasn't just saying this bullshit in an attempt to not piss off a part of his base.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Considering the interest in this rally surely if there were people doing what you're saying there should be some evidence of it. Interviews, pictures, etc? Who are these 'statue-only' protesters?

Again, this rally was EXPLICITLY billed as a white supremacist rally. That was the advertisement! The idea that statue aficionados would have wandered in there is preposterous.

Nov 29, 2006
He had a chance to do it the other day when the question came up again but didn't, doesn't sound to me like he's sincere at all.

So you admit he has condemned them in the past? Does he have to do it every single time it comes up? That is going to be a lot of time wasted condemning retards lol. I agree with you that he isnt sincere and a scumbag, but im not going to lie to myself that he hasnt condemned them before.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You're trying really hard to bothsides this, based on absolutely nothing. Show me videos of these so called separate "statue-only" protestors, and I will gladly accept what you're saying.
At the same time, you're gonna have way more trouble convincing me that Trump wasn't just saying this bullshit in an attempt to not piss off a part of his base.

The night before the statue protests there was some neo-Nazi gathering. The next night there were the statue protests, and some of the neo-Nazis from the night before were there, but the crowd was mixed. There were some decent people in that crowd and some Nazis, people you and me both don't like. On the other side there were peaceful protesters and people looking to create violence. Trump made it quite clear over the next few days he did not support the neo-Nazis and condemned the violence, he also said some of the crowd on both sides were "very fine people." It is a lie to keep suggesting he was calling Nazis that, it has been made abundantly clear over the next few press conferences that Trump does not support or side with them.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
So you admit he has condemned them in the past? Does he have to do it every single time it comes up? That is going to be a lot of time wasted condemning retards lol. I agree with you that he isnt sincere and a scumbag, but im not going to lie to myself that he hasnt condemned them before.
He did it once iirc, and hasn't since despite having numerous chances to do so. He also didn't go so far as to say he rejected their support. He's also defended them in so many words by calling them and himself a "Nationalist".

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yes, absolutely. There were people there that had nothing to do with Nazism. The only way the left has anything to hang on here would be if the entire crowd was filled with Nazis. That plainly was not the case, leftist projection filled in the rest as they saw fit, and now we have this thread today because of leftist propaganda.
Again you lying racist motherfucker here are some of the ads for the event...
1556421120725-jpeg.5650
1556421144718-jpeg.5651
1556421166093-jpeg.5652

Nov 29, 2006
He did it once iirc, and hasn't since despite having numerous chances to do so. He also didn't go so far as to say he rejected their support

I'm sure he loves their support. But he specifically condemned them for this very topic we are talking about. I don't follow Trump 24x7 so i don't know if he has condemned any since. But he was very clear in who he was calling 'very fine people' in the video about this event, even if he may have been wrong.

But knowing Trump he isnt going to care where his support comes from as long as it gives him power, money, media attention etc. Its not my cup of tea and i would never want their support and id make it known. But hes a narcissist.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The night before the statue protests there was some neo-Nazi gathering. The next night there were the statue protests, and some of the neo-Nazis from the night before were there, but the crowd was mixed. There were some decent people in that crowd and some Nazis, people you and me both don't like. On the other side there were peaceful protesters and people looking to create violence. Trump made it quite clear over the next few days he did not support the neo-Nazis and condemned the violence, he also said some of the crowd on both sides were "very fine people." It is a lie to keep suggesting he was calling Nazis that, it has been made abundantly clear over the next few press conferences that Trump does not support or side with them.
So where are the pictures of the "decent" people? Fox News always bitches about biased coverage. If there were fine people there Fox would have found them.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Meh... he was a "great" general in the military sense, i guess. So were (off the top of my head) Erwin Rommel, Yamashita Tomoyuki, and Võ Nguyên Giáp. Gee, what do all these have in common?

"Great" generals that used their gifts to attack the United States of America. I’m sure Trump thinks Lee was a great patriot. Which, oddly enough, seems to be a common delusion of Americans that attack the federal government.

One wonders if Trump would praise Bo Bergdahl if he had joined the Taliban, commanded their army, and killed 600,000 Americans. "what a great general & patriot"..SAD!

Feb 16, 2005
This never happened, it was a fake news narrative by leftist media outlets. CNN and such simply used footage of a neo-Nazi protest from the night before the statue removal protests, some of those neo-Nazis were at the protests the next day, but on that next night was indeed a mixture of people, many of those protesters were NOT white supremacists or neo-Nazis but simply people protesting the removal of the statues.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media...eo-nazis-very-fine-people-in-charlottesville/

I saw this story today and figured I'd start a thread. I see people here all the time make the suggestion that Trump is racist and this is evidence towards that. Time to set the record straight.
For fucks sake, you are just completely brainwashed by the bloated orange one, so much so that you claim he didn't say exactly what he said.
Fuck off troll

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I think Slow needs a new thread cap to 1 per week ... this is ridiculous.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Again you lying racist motherfucker here are some of the ads for the event...
1556421120725-jpeg.5650
1556421144718-jpeg.5651
1556421166093-jpeg.5652

Yes, there were Nazi types there, absolutely no one denies that those undesirables were there.

Those aren't the people Trump was referring to, and he made that abundantly clear to anyone without blinders on.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm sure he loves their support. But he specifically condemned them for this very topic we are talking about. I don't follow Trump 24x7 so i don't know if he has condemned any since. But he was very clear in who he was calling 'very fine people' in the video about this event, even if he may have been wrong.

But knowing Trump he isnt going to care where his support comes from as long as it gives him power, money, media attention etc. Its not my cup of tea and i would never want their support and id make it known. But hes a narcissist.
The only time Trump said something bad about white nationalism (WN) was his second statement about this event, IIRC. The first statement was wildly ambiguous and everyone asked him why he didn't explicitly condemn WN, so he issued a second statement. White Nationalists immediately made it known loud and clear that the only reason they supported Trump was because they believed he supported WN and that because of his revised statement they were never going to vote for him again. Trump then walked back that revised statement the very next day. Again, I am going from memory here and it it difficult to establish the exact timeline with my amateur Google skills.

Regardless, if slow wanted to be 100% honest about the situation, he would ask himself why Trump cannot explicitly denounce WN. Why does he have to always denounce the violence instead? It would be very easy for Trump just to say every time he is asked about WN, that WN is wrong, that he does not agree with the philosophy, and that those beliefs have no place in modern society, that they are harmful and based on hate and ignorance. That's it, standard response every time he is asked until nobody asks anymore and there is no question about where he stands on the issue. So why can't he do that? When slow can be honest about that answer we can stop with all this nonsense, but no, instead we get song and dance in gray areas. The very best lame ass excuse they have managed is some transparent bullshit about Trump won't answer the question directly because he doesn't want to lend legitimacy to the question. In other words, cop-out. He knows he will lose a ton of support.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I think Slow needs a new thread cap to 1 per week ... this is ridiculous.

Where did my differing opinion touch you? If you silence me then this will be a safer space for you and your bubble will be better insulated. You are a microcosm of the left today.