Let's clear the air on something. Trump never called white supremacists or neo-Nazis "very fine people."

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Well he does explicitly say in this video 'there were very fine people - on both sides' so i mean....let's be real. Do we really think 'white supremacists' are very fine people in any circumstance? to say he didn't say it is a lie. He did say it. It is right there.

This statement is logically dependent on one side being made up of ONLY neo-nazis. Is this your claim? That one side only had neo nazis and no other types of people? Because if it isn't, you can't make your claim. I don't like Trump either but these kind of claims and arguments stand out to me as absurd and reaching and we don't need them in order to know Trump is bad.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
This statement is logically dependent on one side being made up of ONLY neo-nazis. Is this your claim? That one side only had neo nazis and no other types of people? Because if it isn't, you can't make your claim. I don't like Trump either but these kind of claims and arguments stand out to me as absurd and reaching and we don't need them in order to know Trump is bad.

Thank you. There are indeed legit reasons to criticize Trump, but saying he defended neo-Nazis and referred to them as "very fine people" is not one of them, though.

Reactions: UglyCasanova

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
No, he made it very clear he was not talking about the white supremacists. Again, there were a mixture of protesters there, many were there simply to protest the removal of statues of historical figures.
No, he did not make it clear, but intentionally ambigious, which is why people have formed their own opinions.
My own opinion is that he has had more than ample opportunity to have made himself clear on this, to have disavowed the neo-nazis etc, but has chosen not to, instead using his puppets to try to convince us that we misheard what we so clearly heard.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This never happened, it was a fake news narrative by leftist media outlets. CNN and such simply used footage of a neo-Nazi protest from the night before the statue removal protests, some of those neo-Nazis were at the protests the next day, but on that next night was indeed a mixture of people, many of those protesters were NOT white supremacists or neo-Nazis but simply people protesting the removal of the statues.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media...eo-nazis-very-fine-people-in-charlottesville/

I saw this story today and figured I'd start a thread. I see people here all the time make the suggestion that Trump is racist and this is evidence towards that. Time to set the record straight.
Because you are one of those racist assmunches who knowing an event organized by a white supremacist upon getting there see people carrying torches calling for putting Jews in ovens would stay, chant and march. At the same time try to claim you are one of those "very fine people"

Do us all a favor put yourself in the oven before the Jews and the world will be a better place.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
Right, but he goes on to explain who the very fine people were. "the peaceful protestors that didnt start commotion etc. Just there to protect with no affiliation to NN or WN, or Antifa etc. Could have been a history teacher who was protesting from a dont destroy history stand point. He did say it, but as we Dems like to point out to the right a lot. Context matters. Have to take it all in and not just 1 sentence etc.

The context is that if the majority of the people that showed up for your "side" of the protest are neo nazis and white supremacists, you fucking find another protest. If you march with them that's on you.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

This is how deep the radicalization of Trump's fanatical base has become. If he loses in 2020, these are the fanatics that will believe it was rigged when Trump undoubtedly claims it was. Trump will possibly be getting arrested once he loses his immunity, so he'll certainly lie and claim the election was stolen if he loses.

The nuts that believe he didn't call Nazis very fine people are primed to believe anything he says now. Even if their eyes and ears deny it.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Because you are one of those racist assmunches who knowing an event organized by a white supremacist upon getting there see people carrying torches calling for putting Jews in ovens would stay, chant and march. At the same time try to claim you are one of those "very fine people"

Do us all a favor put yourself in the oven before the Jews and the world will be a better place.

Again, that was footage from the night before and not the crowd Trump was referring to. There was a Nazi thing the night before the statue protests.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Again, that was footage from the night before and not the crowd Trump was referring to. There was a Nazi thing the night before the statue protests.

The crowd Trump was referring to (the day of the 12th) was also shouting things like 'Jews are Satan's children'. There is also video of people yelling 'Jews will not replace us' and then beating people with confederate flags. The stated goal of the rally in question was to unite the various white nationalist movements in the US.

Very fine people indeed.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The crowd Trump was referring to (the day of the 12th) was also shouting things like 'Jews are Satan's children'. There is also video of people yelling 'Jews will not replace us' and then beating people with confederate flags. The stated goal of the rally in question was to unite the various white nationalist movements in the US.

Very fine people indeed.

And that did not represent everyone there. Which was exactly Trump's point, that there were decent people on both sides as well as extremist troublemakers on both sides. Somehow you lefties took that stance as Trump is a Nazi sympathizer.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Also, I just realized something that our good friend Spidey conveniently left out. This was Trump's THIRD statement on this incident which came only after his previous two 'both sides' statements were roundly condemned.

Honestly guys we should have known better, of course Spidey lied about this.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
Question: what do you call people who march with white supremacists while the white supremacists are demonstrating in favor of white supremacy?
Answer: White supremacists.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And that did not represent everyone there. Which was exactly Trump's point, that there were decent people on both sides as well as extremist troublemakers on both sides. Somehow you lefties took that stance as Trump is a Nazi sympathizer.

Yes, we are well aware that the point of Trump's statement was to attempt to #bothsides a conflict between Nazis and people against Nazism. This is because he is well aware that he has significant support from the white supremacist movement and doesn't want to alienate them.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
No, he clearly says in other quotes that he is NOT talking about white supremacists. There were peaceful protesters that did not want to see the statues removed that had nothing to do with Nazism or white supremacy. It was clear Trump was referring to them, he's made this more than clear. If you are going to run with a narrative that he did refer to Nazis with that comment, than you are a liar. A liar looking to push a narrative that is emotionally based, not based in truth.

Did you even read the link in the OP?

So you have the Biblical Gift of Tongues? I read the entire exchange but I missed where Trump explicitly focused on those who did harm. I did see him lie and make a "both sides" violence claim, lie about not jumping to judgment something he "never does" which is an obvious lie, and you should never argue about the veracity of others as you support the thing in office who assumes he has the right to command the government to do his will and ignore coequal branches. That there is a right to deny giving Trump's tax returns to a lawfully designated representative of Congress? That's a lie. That Barr has the Constitutional power to deny that? That claim would also be a lie. Mnchin? Let's be clear- he and anyone who defies this lawful order are law breakers. Another truth which you should fear and that is the power of Congress. As said elsewhere, officials who defy a lawful subpoena or other order can be arrested and held in contempt for up to 12 months as surely you live. The DOJ is not involved. Barr nor Trump have any say and the SCOTUS likewise has nothing to do with it when exercised in this, their proper actions under the Constitution. The only person they likely not jail is the President and perhaps the VP. His officers, his family, anyone who chooses to break the rule of law by refusing a lawful order can be met by the Sgt at Arms and the Capitol Police and be hauled off. Anyone who interferes can be treated likewise.

That's not a lie and perhaps that is why you must oppose the Constitution and the lawful and proper discharge of the respective branches, with the exception of Trump who you adore as he unfaithfully discharged his obligations and breaks his Oath of Office.

Even Satan has his followers as Trump has you.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Question: what do you call people who march with white supremacists while the white supremacists are demonstrating in favor of white supremacy?

Yeah apparently the idea is that there's a bunch of historical preservation society guys there who happen to be marching with neo-Confederates, neo-Nazis, and the KKK because they care a lot about the statues.

Who are these people? If there were many fine people on both sides then I would love for someone to link me to a couple of these very fine people on the right that were there and had nothing to do with any white nationalist movement.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Also, I just realized something that our good friend Spidey conveniently left out. This was Trump's THIRD statement on this incident which came only after his previous two 'both sides' statements were roundly condemned.

Honestly guys we should have known better, of course Spidey lied about this.

So why did he clarify the point to make it very, very clear that he was not sympathizing with the Nazis and he was condemning the violence? He had to do so because you extremists twisted his stance on the subject. So here he was making it clear he didn't side with Nazis, yet you guys run with your false narrative. Why didn't he say he agreed with the Nazis if that is his stance?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

I've seen large protests, one cannot ask every attendee their politics and know what is being said in different areas. You're being unrealistic.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
So why did he clarify the point to make it very, very clear that he was not sympathizing with the Nazis and he was condemning the violence? He had to do so because you extremists twisted his stance on the subject. So here he was making it clear he didn't side with Nazis, yet you guys run with your false narrative. Why didn't he say he agreed with the Nazis if that is his stance?
He condemned the violence, but never condemned the Nazis/White Supremacists, he won't condemn them because he knows they vote for him and he needs every supporter he can get.

Feb 4, 2009
No, he clearly says in other quotes that he is NOT talking about white supremacists. There were peaceful protesters that did not want to see the statues removed that had nothing to do with Nazism or white supremacy. It was clear Trump was referring to them, he's made this more than clear. If you are going to run with a narrative that he did refer to Nazis with that comment, than you are a liar. A liar looking to push a narrative that is emotionally based, not based in truth.

Did you even read the link in the OP?

I read the link, where in the video link of that day does the President clears States he is not talking about the white supremicists.
I’ll admit they way I hear it is there are bad people and there are good people. The bad people are the Nazis.
Problem is the President was not and still is not clear about what he said. That is his responsibility to speak in a clear manner. If white power guys misunderstand the Presidents words the President needs to speak more carefully or face the consequences of being sloppy

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
I've seen large protests, one cannot ask every attendee their politics and know what is being said in different areas. You're being unrealistic.
Are you seriously suggesting that someone could have marched in Charlottesville and somehow been unaware of the strain of white supremacy running through the protest? It was ... not subtle.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

No, he had to 'clarify' it because he tried very, very hard to #bothsides an incident where violent racists murdered someone protesting against their violent racism.

Interestingly enough the white supremacists were very pleased with Trump's response to Charlottesville. I wonder why that is if he so clearly sided against them. Do you have thoughts as to why the Nazis are such big fans?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Did Trump denounce the extremist troublemakers on the right side? Yaknow, the ones who murdered a young woman? The ones who committed several grievous assaults? Extremist troublemakers at Charlottesville have been convicted of murder and assault from only one side, not both sides.
His failure to denounce the Nazis who murdered someone is a glaring omission.

Somehow, you extremist nutjobs just expect us to overlook that.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This was Trump's problem...

Everyone saw what was going on at the tiki march Friday night. Not one of those Nazis was chanting about saving a statue.

Normal response from a compassionate responsible leader denounce Nazi's and that's it. Trump's problem too many of their types support him. He also falls back on the old standby #bothsides. Trump felt obligated to throw his racist base a bone and it backfired because he has no grasp of English.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Are you seriously suggesting that someone could have marched in Charlottesville and somehow been unaware of the strain of white supremacy running through the protest? It was ... not subtle.

Look man, you can't ask every attendee their politics. It would be impossible for your average historical society member who just wanted to keep a statue to know what the other protesters were all about. Just look at how well they blended in!

Charlottesville_%27Unite_the_Right%27_Rally_%2835780274914%29_crop.jpg

Very fine people!

EDIT: Also that Nazi guy is really half-assing it. Iron your flag, dirtbag!