Let us pay homage to buy.com for starting this forum and others like it (remember the Hitachi 753?)

jhouston

Oct 31, 1999
Who was here at AnandTech when....................................................................

Still hold on to the copy of the check buy.com gave me.

hom·age ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hmj, m-)

Ceremonial acknowledgment by a vassal of allegiance to his lord under feudal law.
Special honor or respect shown or expressed publicly.

Awe sweet memories!

During these days a Canopus Spectra 2500 would get you far and the Abit BH6 with a stick of 64 mb Mushkin PC100 and a Celeron 300a would get you further.

Thanks Russ! (compucheap.com)

I was actually a member in 1998 under a webtv account (jhouston@webtv.net)
I remember because I bought and sold Gold Zelda games on Ebay and the Hot Deals was not around then.

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
Ah yes. I was one of the original WMC. Such fond memories. :)

Haven't bought anything from buy.com in ages. Are they still in business?

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
I just bough a 5 port switch from them for $23 - $20 MIR = $3. That was about 2 weeks ago... other than that I havnt bought anything from them in ages...

jhouston

Oct 31, 1999
I say googlegear and newegg are the new buy.com's
Except they seem to be here to stay with there prices.

I am pretty fond of googlegear.:D

dirtrat

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah I was here then, so what! Buy.com never started this forum and it was popular way before that fiasco.

Lock it!!!!!!!!

Deskstar

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2001
Buy.com was great then and still is a reliable source for almost any hardware products online. Its aggressive discounting seems to have stopped coincidentally with the Net bubble's bursting; like any other supplier, it saw the light that it had to have revenues exceed its costs. But service remains high quality and shipping is very fast. So, it does seem to be a survivor and a good one at that. Yes, newegg and googlegear have filled a vacuum in the heavily discounted niche and also have good service and shipping. But, the market surely is large enough to handle 2-3 large competitors. I still buy from all three, depending on availability and price. Indeed, we should all support all three (plus a few more unnamed suppliers) to keep all on their competitive toes and profitable. To each his/her own.

jhouston

Oct 31, 1999
Yes I agree and I have no problems with buy.com (never did)
I still would buy from them and they always shipped very quickly.
It just seems that I never do these days!

jhouston

Oct 31, 1999
pointless
rolleye.gif

But I do happen to find that this Hot Deals forum is a great secret source that only I and very few are privy to in my hometown. Especially Staples employees who are amazed that I sometimes find out about deals that they are not even aware of yet.

pjs

Oct 10, 1999
I am still waiting for the two Hitachi monitors that I ordered.

Buy.com does seem to have learned their lesson so I continue to do business with them.

Paul

k000

Sep 10, 2001
Well.. I tried to kep the secret too. But I made the mistake of telling my closest friend.. who go married soon after I told him... and now.. many people in my circel know abt AT..... ( thru my frind's wife I guess). And deals are now harde to get at local stores.. well.. oneday I might move to some smaller town, which has all the good stores around.. and then I'll be the king of deals !

Originally posted by: jhouston
pointless
rolleye.gif
But I do happen to find that this Hot Deals forum is a great secret source that only I and very few are privy to in my hometown. Especially Staples employees who are amazed that I sometimes find out about deals that they are not even aware of yet.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dirtrat
Yeah I was here then, so what! Buy.com never started this forum and it was popular way before that fiasco. Lock it!!!!!!!!

It didn't exist before this fiasco, sparky. I was there. I don't remember you.

[The Headline:] FS/FT got overrun with angry, petulant, whining WMC's (who had a point). The regular traders wanted none of it, and saw the whole fiasco and it's endless aftermath as intrusive noise.

Et Volia! Hot Deals was born.[/The Headline] Details at eleven.

On the other hand . . . the great rape of Value America, now that was a true Mongolian Cloister Fvck!!

We all owe Underclocked our male first born for that orgy of unbridled cosumer excess. ;)

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I remember it well. I believe I coined the term, WMC, which stood for Wounded Monitor Children. At the time, they were also know as buycomp. When the Hitachi monitor thing happened, I saw a swarm of posts by folks trying to get everyone to drive down to Buy.com's headquarters. I though it was funny, and I posted a message on another forum with the title, "Wounded Monitor Children Storm Castle Buycomp," and the name stuck.

Looking back at it, I am still certain that buy.com was wrong in that episode. They had previously done the same kind of bait an switch tactics on a number of other items. A number of interesting things happened out of that:

1. A lot of people joined in a class action suit and won. It took well over a year to resolve, and I don't know how much each person recieved.

2. Some, including me, advised others to file their own small claims action against buy.com. Most, if not all of, those who followed that path got a settlement offer from buy.com. I'm posting with the ViewSonic G790 I got. :)

3. Buy.com straightened out a lot of their business practices in a hurry, and a number of other questionable dealers did the same. There's nothing like some seriously directed consumer activism to shake the place up for the better. :D

Marauder-

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
Where are my monitors!? I got all the class action updates but didn't get my $70 check. heh.

Banana

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
Those must've been the good ol' days! I'm relatively new to AT, but even so, I've noticed that the good deals are fewer and further in between. As mentioned above--probably due to tech bubble bursting, and the culling out of the more careless and poorly-run web vendors.

BTW, Buy.com can still be decent. I snagged a Canon s820 for $42 after rebate last XMas.

1YP