Let the iPad 2 specuation begin!

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Bateluer, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/17/ipad-2-retina-display-evidence-mounts-this-time-a-png-of-wood/

Not too shabby. Seriously doubt we'll see 2048x1536 for a few generations, but I can live with 1536x800. Now, those create devs and hackers will just need to shoehorn Honeycomb onto this guy. ;)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - iPad specuation begin Forum Date
    Note 8 or ipad pro 10.5? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Thursday at 3:11 AM
    iPad 4 -> iPad 2017 really is a significant upgrade Mobile Devices & Gadgets May 30, 2017
    New iPad (2017), Refurbished iPad Mini/Air 2, or Android Tablet? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Apr 30, 2017
    Apple Ipad Pro Gamer \ Samsung Galaxy Tab Gamer \ Microsoft Surface Pro Gamer Mobile Devices & Gadgets Mar 1, 2017
    Official LineageOS builds are available beginning today Mobile Devices & Gadgets Jan 23, 2017

3. Pliablemoose

Pliablemoose Lifer

There's also a rumor of a SD card slot on gen II.

4. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

Saw that. Not sure how much credibility I'd give it though, kinda goes against everything that Apple's down with their mobile products in the past.

5. Pliablemoose

Pliablemoose Lifer

Engadget posted it and they seem to be a source of controlled Apple leaks...

Having 6 versions of a device is just stupid IMHO, I'd pay $100 more for one with expandable memory.

6. Doboji

Doboji Diamond Member

If the iPad 2 really does 2048 x 1536.. I will be buying one. And I am a total Android fanboy.

7. Puddle Jumper

Puddle Jumper Platinum Member

Unless they manage to pack a GTX 580 into it you can say goodbye to games running at anything close to native res.

To put things in perspective even if it has 4x the gpu power like some of the rumors claim it would still be slower than a Intel IGP.

8. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

I'm preordering soon as it's available. I already promised the Mrs.
    I'm sure Apple wont let me down and it'll be great.

9. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

It's just going to be an enhanced iPad so how could it be bad?

10. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

Exactly. That's why I'm 100% committed without any care or knowledge of specs. iPad 1 is fantastic. 2 can only be better.

11. Puddle Jumper

Puddle Jumper Platinum Member

If this launches at the right time I could be interested, I just hope Apple does something interesting with the interface. From what I have seen of the Playbook it's UI has really raised the bar compared to what's currently available from Apple and Google.

12. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

Something that irritates me about Apple fans. You only know the most minimal about the product, and yet you buy it. People were salivating over the iPad when it was just the rumor of an Apple tablet, without any knowledge of specs, pricing, warranty, data plans, etc.

13. Pliablemoose

Pliablemoose Lifer

Except for Apple TV, Apple has had a pretty good track record of producing decent products, so it's relatively safe to be an Apple fanboy ;)

14. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

What is there to know? I already told you iPad 1 is fantastic. I would buy another one without hesitation if something happened it. My family loves the device. It's a given v2 is going to have better specs since it's a tech device. My wife actually wanted two iPads. One for her and one for my daughter since she uses it so much. I convinced her to just share one until V2 which I knew was coming. So how can I lose buying V2 even without knowing the specs? It's going to be better than V1 and that's all I need to know.

#13 ponyo, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  15. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

I don't make a big purchase until I do the research myself, so I'm gonna wait and see what the Tablet market will be like this summer.

One thing about Apple though is that their specs/performance is truthful. When they say 10hr iPad battery life, they really mean 10hrs.

16. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

Its your money, you earned it, spend it how you wish. I'll research products before I buy them, regardless of how much I like/trust the manufacturer. :p

17. ChAoTiCpInOy

ChAoTiCpInOy Diamond Member

But they didn't buy it until they did the research for the product.

18. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

Man, you apple fanbots sicken me. Preordering and having wet dreams and you have no idea what the hell it is. Tell me, when Steve dies will you all commit suicide?

19. Pliablemoose

Pliablemoose Lifer

1.) It's not available for pre order.

2.) An evolution of the #1 best selling consumer product of all time (let that sink in a bit, the iPad is the #1 best selling consumer device of all time)

3,) The CEO of the decade has had years to put together the team to run Apple in his absence.

4.) WTF man, show a little compassion, the guy changed the world, without his efforts and vision, the gadgets you love likely wouldn't exist without Steve Jobs.

[​IMG]

Namaste, Oyeve.

20. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

No, its not. Not trying to derail my own thread here, but there's a lot of consumer devices that outsell the iPad, and will continue to outsell the iPad. Unfortunately, that Apple logo confuses a lot of people who believe it to be some mythical stamp of approval from God himself.

Everything the iPad does, other devices do better. Want to read books? Nooks and Kindles easily best the iPad with their e-ink screens and no data plan pricing. Incidentally, nooks/Kindles also win out on battery life, portability, and cost as well. Need a device to do work? Get an ultraportable notebook, gets the same battery life as the iPad, costs the same. No monthly data plan. The iPad sells because people are idiots. Its as simple as that. I'm just confused how people can impulse buy a 500+ dollar toy.

On Steve Job's passing away, every time he takes medical leave or there's even a rumor of a decline in his health, Apple stock drops. He may have had years to put together a team, but that runs counter to his philosophy of 'I control everything, you do what I say when I say it. I know best'. I'm sure there's a lot of competent people at Apple, but without Steve, Apple stock is going to drop by half.

21. Medu

Medu Member

I would rephrase that as it makes you sound ridiculous.

If the rumours are true then it will certainly be a very impressive piece of kit. Nobody has yet been able to match the iPad and by the time it's first real competitor enters the market, probably the Xoom, they will be ready to move the goal posts.

22. DivideBYZero

DivideBYZero Lifer

They've sold 250 million iPads. Wow. :whiste:

23. ChAoTiCpInOy

So you're saying get 3 different devices that does everything the iPad does?

#22 ChAoTiCpInOy, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  24. dpodblood

dpodblood Diamond Member

Well since apple removed VLC player from the App store they have also removed 90% of the reason I would ever want an Ipad (1 or 2). Playing games or reading books on a tablet device just doesn't appeal to me, and general web browsing is much easier on a netbook imho.

25. ChAoTiCpInOy

That's more VLC's fault that Apple's fault. Videolan had a lot of internal debate saying that the GPL is compatible with the App Store. But instead of trying to resolve it, they sent a takedown notice to Apple.

#24 ChAoTiCpInOy, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  26. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

So I need a lot of toys to do several things?

The iPad isn't excellent at doing one thing right, its excellent at doing many things good enough. I still don't know why Apple haters fail to see why the iPad is successful, whereas Tablets before it failed.

Battery Life - 10hrs
    Fast - Flash storage
    Smooth - Very little stutter
    Intuitive Touch UI - Finger/Touch input
    Thin/small - .5" Thick

Failed PC Tablets of yesteryear had zero of these things. This is why the iPad is successful, not because people are idiots. People want a portable tablet, not a damn brick tablet pc that gets 3 hrs.