Less tips and more harassment for restaurant workers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Right, so over the course of 5 years with a pandemic - the MASSIVE amounts of data magically changed to suite your narrative.... None of which you have... so instead you just craft your own narrative inside your head to suite your own narrative. You have no facts. You have no data. You just craft bullshit.

How cute.

So again I'll ask, why use facts when you can use your feelings instead? Go peddle your shit elsewhere little boy.
Narrative. Narrative. Narrative. Malkovich Malkovich? Also, it's 'suit', not 'suite'.

You can't possibly be this dumb can you?
He can, and he is. Intentionally, and proudly.

Reactions: ch33zw1z and nickqt

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
This is something I could have an easier time explaining to my 8 year old niece, although I don't think I could quite get it right for her level, but I could get closer than to your level that's for sure.

I mean how you can equate pre-pandemic info about tipping in regards to minority status to behaviour during the pandemic is just mind-boggling, then when that is explained to you, double down on it even harder. The two are totally unrelated. What's far more related is what type of people are going out now - folks that have a general sense of caring for one another and community are going out less often or not eating out altogether, in order to prevent the spread of Covid, whereas people that care less or don't believe in it at all, are by far a bigger ratio of those going out and dining and eating out.

We know where those political lines are drawn.
His bubble will not allow him to be able to recognize why "colored" people would receive less tips. He is physically and mentally INCAPABLE.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I tip more these days than in the last because I don't want my favorite places to close forever.

If your favorite places are reputable, your tips won't help them stay open...but they DO help the waitstaff survive. Depending on your state, those tipped workers might only get $2.13/hr plus tips. (yes, they "get paid the full state or federal minimum wage," but their tips count toward that wage.) Fortunately, the states here on the left coast ALL require tipped employees get paid the full minimum wage PLUS they get to keep their tips.
When it was permitted, we'd eat in the local restaurants and bars occasionally. We ALWAYS tipped a bit better than we would have in the pre-COVID days...(20-25% compared to 15-20%)

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Back when the pandemic first started, I was tipping 30% for takeout but now I'm back down to 20%. Even for the local deli, I did the same thing. I only get takeout maybe once every 1-2 weeks, though.

BTW, studies have shown that dogs are horrible tippers, usually either tipping 0% or chewing up the receipt.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I haven't dined out at a restaurant since this whole Covid-19 started. I only do takeout. I don't tip if I have to go inside to pickup the order. I tip 10% if they bring it out to my car. Some of the restaurants already add extra $1-2 for each takeout dish. So zero guilt about not tipping to pickup takeout.

I don't worry if my favorite place will close due to Covid hardship. I did initially because I thought very few would dine out again. But now I know that's not true. Yes, it will suck if my favorite restaurants all close. But new ones will pop up to take their place. Most new restaurants typically fail in the first 2 years. Most of my favorite mom and pop places have been around for 10-20 years or longer. They'll survive. If not, that's just nature of the restaurant business. It's tough industry to make a living.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Yeah, I mean, it's not like there are facts and statistics showing that the least likely to substantially tip are black/brown. No. Not at all.

But hey - why use facts when you can use your feelings instead? Toolbag.
What exactly does that have to do with the OP?

Did the article say anything about only brown/black people going out to eat now or something? And what about the sexual harassment bit?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Well I guess we know something else about slomonesmonday1, he's a bad tipper and probably sexually harasses the waitstaff.

Well, hell...if them sexy little waitresses ain't makin enuf money servin food...maybe they're open for a little...side-action...know whud I mean?
aag.thumb.gif

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
We non-assholes keep them in business by ordering takeout.

Especially at the Mexican restaurants. Now until at least next year, I can order frozen margaritas to go.

Save me the trouble of cleaning the blender.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Pre-pandemic, I didn't tip for take-out. Now any time I get food from a restaurant, it's takeout, and I've been tipping 20%.
Same. I didn’t eat out a lot pre-pandemic, but now twice a week I try to get take out to support local restaurants and tip at least 20%, sometimes more, every little bit helps.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Pohemi