Lens rental

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Has anyone had experience with www.lensrentals.com? I'm going to a concert in a few weeks and would like to try out a telephoto lens. I have a Sony NEX 5N and the local rental shops only carry the more professional lenses.

DarkRogue

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2007
I've used them before, and would gladly use them again.
They are great people, always responsive and willing to help, even when I shoot them random questions.

My first time renting from them was my first dSLR experience. I was wondering if going from a G9 to an SLR would help me at all, and they recommended a way to start off - a T1i and a Tamron 17-50. I loved it.

I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Feb 19, 2001
they're good, but feel free to look at local lens rentals too.

There's a local lens rental in the Bay Area that's cheaper if you can pick up in person. If I wanted to ship I'd just use lensrentals

Edit: Oh wow Borrowlenses has expanded greatly! But yes that's who I use now.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
We did a big rental with lensrentals once. Much cheaper than anyone else. Shipping was easy. They send a prepaid label so just cover up the old one and drop it off at any shipping place. Will definitely use again if needed.

jdcooper

Sep 6, 2012
A rental place in SF: Adolph Gasser, on 2nd at Howard.

One other thought -- for longer than a day or two at a time you are definitely better off buying a used lens and reselling it when you're done, if you can be bothered.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
A rental place in SF: Adolph Gasser, on 2nd at Howard.

One other thought -- for longer than a day or two at a time you are definitely better off buying a used lens and reselling it when you're done, if you can be bothered.

I'm in Atlanta and haven't found too many Sony NEX lenses for sale locally. The one I'm renting is about $850 new so putting out $70 for 4 days seems like a decent investment.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Have not, but have used Borrowlenses.com. I was all set to buy a $700 Tokina UWA, and at the last minute decided to rent instead. Turned out to be money well spent (or not spent), as I didn't like the lens very much. I'm sure I could have sold it barely used for most of what I paid, but the rental was a better move in this case.

jdcooper

Sep 6, 2012
That makes sense in both cases. In my case I was taking a trip to Galapagos for nearly 3 weeks and wanted a few Canon L lenses, which are both common and expensive, so it worked out well for me.

@jhansman - Why didn't you like the UWA? Too much distortion?

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
@jhansman - Why didn't you like the UWA? Too much distortion?

Honestly, I didn't feel like I knew how best to use it. Looking back at the shots I took with it (landscapes in the Eastern Sierra), the sharpness and color look good, but I never felt comfortable with it, even after a week. I know it's good glass, but not for me; at least, not yet.