Lens Protectors + accidental insurance?

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
The multi-coated filters will definitely have less lens flare and are less likely to be damaged when cleaned. Unfortunately, any filter, no matter how good, will add the possibility of lens flare, as it's another piece of glass with more space to the lens. If avoiding lens flare is your top priority, then skip the filter and leave the lens hood on. The lens hood will protect against a lot of the same accidental damage without the tradeoffs on image quality.

JohnnyRebel

Feb 7, 2011
Hi all, just got in on the t4i deal at Amazon :
Canon EOS Digital Rebel T4i 18MP SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm Lens
Canon EF-S 55-250mm Lens

I was thinking of getting this for a protector ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004ZCJI...NP5CCH3WTGSQ5&

or does that introduce a lot of lens flare (some reviews say that it does).

or should I get a multi coated one :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009R6K7...C4PAHWZZYZ448&

Multi-coating helps to eliminate the ghosting added by the filter. Uncoated glass filters are more likely to produce ghosting but can be washed with soap and water using your thumb (think using in extreme conditions). Be more careful cleaning multi-coated filters.

Both of the options are good. Go uncoated if you expect to clean often, go with multi-coated if you are concerned about ghosting.

That being said, I have cleaned one of my Hoya Super HMC filters hundreds of times using pre-moistened leica lens cleaning towelettesfrom Wal-mart.

I usually buy used "E" condition UV filters from Adorama.

JR

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
lens+hood+4.jpg

Rubber lens hoods are not attractive, but IMHO they are the best lens protection and flare control that you can get for your lens.

I hated the petal lens hood that came with my 24-105mm L lens, and the plastic hoods for the 100mm L macro as well as 70-200mm L IS are cumbersome, so I replace them all with rubber hoods.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
I use use either B+W MRC UV or Hoya HD UV filters for my lenses. I recommend not to cheap out on filters. Either get a good one or don't use it at all.

OctaneZ

Jan 6, 2001
I too have a B+W MRC UV on each of my lenses, I know everyone doesn't agree and think you shouldn't put any "unnecessary" filter on a lens, but I have hoods and and filters (well no hood on the 40mm) but it has a B+W filter.