Lenovo Thinkpad: T420 vs X220

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by mfeller2, May 20, 2011.

1. mfeller2

mfeller2 Member

I have an X201 at work, and REALLY like the build, size, etc., so that for a personal laptop, I am thinking about going a similar route with the newer X220, even with the premium versus a more consumer-oriented option.

But...there is also the T420.

X220 Pro's
    Smaller
    IPS display (the premium display, according to the datasheet)

T420 Pro's
    Larger screen, with 1600x900 resolution
    Integrated Optical Drive

Those are the major differences that I am chewing on. The ~$150 premium for the X220 is a secondary difference, and I *think* other differences would not really effect my decision.

But...thoughts or comments on either these items or others that may sway me one way or another?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Lenovo Thinkpad T420 Forum Date
    Reputable place to get Refurbished Lenovo Thinkpads SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Dec 2, 2016
    OLED vs IPS LCD: Battery Life SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Sep 23, 2016
    Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Jan 14, 2016
    Lenovo thinkpad r400 boot problems. SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Sep 5, 2015
    Lenovo Thinkpad t450s vs Dell Latitude. SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Apr 29, 2015

3. Piano Man

Piano Man Diamond Member

I think the X1 comes out in a week or two as well. If you like the 201, I think the 220 is a no brainer.

I have the T420 myself though, and really like it.

4. Brainonska511

Are you going to be carrying it a lot or using an external monitor? Is this also going to be your primary machine? A 12" is great for portability, but if you're not really using it in that capacity, it might just be better to go with the higher resolution T420.

Personally, I contemplated getting the X220 or X210 when I first toyed with the idea of replacing my laptop, but I don't travel that much with it; when I do, it's easy to throw in my backpack, and I don't have an external monitor to use with it, so it would be inconvenient to always have a low-res 12" screen when I'm in the lab... I'm thinking I should pick up a T420 sometime in the next week. With an educational discount + the specials they're running (free 4GB upgrade, free 500GB hd upgrade), I can get:
    I3-2310
    4GB DDR3 1333 1 DIMM
    1600x900
    500GB 7200RPM drive
    6-Cell battery
    Intel 6205 2x2 AGBN wireless
    720P Camera
    Extra 65w adapter (with built-in USB hub) ($45 extra)

total: ~$775

It would be a nice replacement for the Asus W3J in my sig, running it's lowly, 5 year old Yonah (come June)

#3 Brainonska511, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  5. Xenon14

Xenon14 Platinum Member

6. Brainonska511

7. Piano Man

Piano Man Diamond Member

8. Puddle Jumper

Puddle Jumper Platinum Member

I recently bought a X220 after initially looking at larger systems like the T420 and couldn't be happier. The IPS screen (Premium LCD Display in the config options) is absolutely gorgeous and goes a long ways towards justifying the systems price. The battery life with the optional 9 cell battery is also superb, I'm at 7 hours of running it with the display at the second highest brightness setting and using some pretty demanding applications and it still shows at least 2-3hours remaining.

Overall It's by far the best laptop I've used and IMO was worth every penny.

9. SolMiester

SolMiester Diamond Member

We just ordered a x220, we needed a good lappy with a decent docking station and Lenovo has the best options....
    I really like the look of the X1 though, especially the Intel Wireless display feature!

10. Puddle Jumper

I got WiDi on my X220, it's included with the optional Intel Centrino Wireless N 1000 wifi card. It was even a free upgrade when I ordered my system.

11. l0cke

l0cke Diamond Member

12. Brainonska511

Do you need anything special to get that deal? Or is it really just create an account? It does say "Barnes and Noble Exclusive Offer store"...

13. SolMiester

???, really......its an optional extra?....I didnt see that, wonder if its too late to get it added!

My one appears to be configured with the Advanced N 6205 AGN adapter, but I cant see anywhere on Lenovo web-site to say what technology that provides!

#12 SolMiester, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  14. Puddle Jumper

According to Intel's site that card has WiDi built in as well.

http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/adapters/6205/index.htm

15. SolMiester

Yeah, I spent some time checking it out yesterday, but there isnt much info on it...apparently, i just need some software from Intel...Wonder why Lenovo doesnt state the technology on the lappy?

16. l0cke

l0cke Diamond Member

I just made an account and got the deal.

17. Brainonska511

Cool. Just wanted to make sure. I think I might order a machine tonight then. That deal will save me about $50 over the educational store (which was already ~$100 less than retail).

18. Brainonska511

Just placed an order using that deal.

$685.57 (before tax) - but I got it with the camera and Intel 6205 2x2 AGBN wireless card instead of the i5. I'm on a budget and I don't think I'd see much of a difference between the i3 and i5. The only real difference between the two is turbo-boost and 200MHz in stock clocking.

19. l0cke

l0cke Diamond Member

Mine showed up today (actually yesterday), I'm using it right now. Very happy with the purchase :cool:

20. Brainonska511

Mine arrived yesterday too, but I had it shipped to my parents' house, so it isn't actually in my possession. I might get it tonight though if they come into the city for dinner...

Edit:
    Got my parents to bring it to me. I think I'm going to use the reinstall guide I saw over at NotebookReview Forums to do a clean install. Too much crap pre-installed by Lenovo to really try and sort through.

#19 Brainonska511, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  21. sxr7171

sxr7171 Diamond Member

To begin, I love Thinkpads. I have an X31, X60s, X201s. They are excellent machines for work or school.

I used to use them as my personal machine also.

But don't hate me for suggesting, my new personal use machine is a Macbook Air 11.6" 4GB 128GB, basically fully loaded.

For personal use IMHO you can't beat this thing. It's just so thin, light and believe it or not quite sturdy. It's no carbon fiber/Magnesium alloy Thinkpad, but it's pretty darn good. I've dropped it numerous times, stepped on it etc. Thinkpads stand up to that kind of abuse and so does this machine.

I can't think of a better personal machine for simple browsing and e-mail, minor word processing etc. It is also quite responsive despite what the specs would lead you to believe. The bonus is the low, low cost. I know what those Thinkpads cost. You lose the thinklight/backlighting and the fingerprint reader, other than that it's a great machine. I get 6 hours consistently in battery life, it wakes and sleeps instantly, in sleep it can last 30 days. That kind of instant availability is great to have around the couch. Any time you need to look something up, open it and look it up.

My disappointment with the X220 is that there is no "s" model and 3lbs is step backward from my 2.4lb X201s. The X1 starts at 3.7lbs. To me that's inexcusable when Apple and Samsung can get their 13.3" models to under 3lbs.

I would say think about what you do with a personal machine, if like me, you mostly browse and e-mail this MBA is perfect. If I were a student or I needed a work machine doing a fair amount of Excel or Word or other things I would get a Thinkpad but for a leisure time laptop IMHO there is nothing better than the MBA. Watch for a refresh with rumored Sandy Bridge CPUs coming in a few weeks.

Just throwing that option out there from someone who used to eat, breathe and sleep Thinkpads.

EDIT: I just realized that Thinkpad pricing has dramatically changed recently. At those prices I can see why they are so good. They used to be priced well above Apple/Samsung, but not anymore.

#20 sxr7171, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  22. Brainonska511

Very happy with it now that I reformatted it (after making the factory restore discs). Too much bloatware. Now, the only programs I have on here from the factory install are Power Manager, System Update, and the Camera settings control thing. Much better.

23. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

I am a huge fan of my x220 with an SSD ... fast/silent/IPS/12.5"/Full Keyboard