lenovo T560 versus E550

metalfan

Oct 6, 2005
hi,

im currently typing on a t410 thats ~5 years old....4gb ram. need something new

any idea if the E550 gets quicker hotter than the T560?
i could buy a E550 with a i5-5200U
versus a T560 with a i5-6200U

the E is one cpu generation behind, but i wouldnt mind about that.

what i care about is silence and a long running battery.

any idea how these two compete in the heat sector?
looks like the E can only hold one battery.
but can a 6 cell battery in the E really hold up for 9 hours with surfing?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The T series is higher on the Lenovo food chain than the E series. It is designed for business use, and that would be my choice. I have had a T60 and a T510. The latter is all updated with 2 SSDs, and does everything I need. If I were to replace it today, I would likely opt for the T560.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Agreed with Corkyg....T series all the way....I've heard different stories regarding quality control lately, but I'd still rather gamble with a Lenovo than other brands.

In other news, Lenovo is flirting with the idea of a retro Thinkpad.....I really hope this happens.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Was just looking at a TP E550 today at Frys & checking the reviews. (Dont know much about the T series.)

The E550 gets good marks for performance.

The battery life could be better and the screen contrast is not all that great (eg, some complaints of washed out look).

E550 gets super marks for keyboard feel & trackpad. In fact the comment is that the trackpad is so good that one may want to ditch their mouse.

The reviewer that bought the i7 variant said that his came with AMD graphics which he didnt want as it is more power hungry & shortends battery life. He didnt think the i7 CPU performance was worth the power consumption tradeoff (with considering the graphics). He said that the unit on Newegg advertises that graphics is INTEL for the i7. (Graphics is specified as INTEL for the i5 version, which is the one I looked at.)

Oh ya, some people were angry because the storage system now requires the slimline 7.5 mm, so if you are going to upgrade on your own watch for that.

If your not gonna use this machine as stock (ie, out-of-the-box), read the user manual first. Lots of different stuff implemented in BIOS much related to security. Might be a turn off. (Example, dont see anyway to disable TPM in the BIOS.)

If you decide to go with a platform that supports TPM 2.0 or greater, then it cannot be disabled so watch out too for NSA backdoor(s).

You guys are gluttons for punishment.

Last edited:

Darknite39

May 18, 2004
The E series is regular consumer-grade lenovo (a Thinkpad in name only) whereas the T series is a legit Thinkpad.

Looking over the same options as you about a month ago, I decided on a T440p. I upgraded the LCD to a 1080p AUO screen and replaced the trackpad with one from the *50 series (with buttons as God intended) for a total cost of $425. I get about 8.5 hours per charge. The fan does kick into gear every now and then so you may not care for this model specifically, but don't discount a nice used unit from ebay for some $ savings. A used T is superior to a new E any day of the week.