Lenovo T470 compatible drive update

CodrinMarius

Mar 12, 2014
Hi,
I have a T470 type 20JN, serial PF11CQ9N, it has an i7 6th gen, 16gb Ram i believe updated from 8gb.

The laptop has a 256 gb ssd hard drive Sandisk sd9b8w256. In bios it is listed at ATA HDD0. The bios ATA HDD1 has nothing and neither NVMe0 bios entry.

If i were to keep this drive for convenience(windows is on it), but extend with a 512, what should I buy? I've read it should be a m2.2242 but i'm at a complete loss between these new terms, PCIE/M2/NVME.

I assume that the laptop slots this laptop has are the 2.5 with a sata conection where the existing drive is and one slot to put a m2.2242.

I think of buying this

What do you think ?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I would open it and visually verify things be a use there's some clues it's not an M2. And if it is it might be a SATA M2 and not pcie. Another sneaky option would be using CDI to get the info from the existing drive.

Reactions: CodrinMarius

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Try Lenovo Support Forums. Looks like this model offered M.2 NVMe PCI-Express slot that could be populated either with WAN card or M.2 SSD. The primary/main internal storage connector seems to be SATA based? Kind of confusing.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Can’t really assume anything, as others stated.

Lenovo has a bracket that adapts m2 drives to Sata spots, only some models.

Grab the hardware manual (it’s free on support.Lenovo.com), take the bottom cover off and check out what you have used and available.

I’ve taken probably >1000 Lenovo laptops apart. If you’ve never taken the bottom cover off, it may feel very difficult, but take your time. You’ll want some plastic pry tools designed for electronics to make it smooth and less damage-y. Those can be found on Amazon for very little, this is the one I’ve used for years. I buy a couple at a time, when the plastic finally wears out, I toss them and buy more

Professional Opening Pry Tool Repair Kit with Non-Abrasive Nylon Spudgers and Anti-Static Tweezers, 8 Piece Set https://a.co/d/i17Ijwz

Last edited:

CodrinMarius

Mar 12, 2014
To close this, yes that m2.2242 fitted in that dedicated slot, its installed, recognized from the start, works. The other options i saw was buying a 2.5 hard drive slot adapter and adding one of these boards in that adapter, if the adapter slot is busy (with things like a sim card). Thanks

Reactions: ch33zw1z

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I have seen some report that M.2 slot for WAN/WLAN in some models sometimes will support SSD just fine but you may need to go into the BIOS, look for device options, and select the mode of that slot from WAN to 'storage', if available.