• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Lenovo laptop shutting off around 20% power, no warning whatsoever?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I have a 1 year old Lenovo Ideapad 730S that has been turning off when the battery gets down to 20%. It will just totally die, no warning from Windows about low battery, the computer just shuts off completely dead until I plug it in and it reboots just fine and doesn't give me any messages after rebooting. I tried updating bios and all drivers and that has not helped at all. Is there some kind of software I could install to monitor the battery health to see what is really going on? Either Windows 10 thinks the battery is at 20% when it's really at 0% or the battery is messed up somehow.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Sounds like bad cells in the battery. Happened to me once or twice with a couple of Dell laptops a while ago. No warning, just dies with 20-30% battery left.

Reactions: killster1

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Yup, sounds like the battery is just kaput. I think the warranty on the batteries is 1 year as well :/

ASK THE COMMUNITY