Legality of downloading Dreamcast games

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Hey all -
I have a Dreamcast (still the best system to date) and I was curious of the topic of downloading games for the system. I have never done this, but since I can harldy find games to buy anymore, I need a way to get some new ones. If it's not legal I won't resort to downloading the games...I guess I'd just have to look around at egay and whatnot. Thanks.

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
hello, software piracy.

It's illegal. But I doubt anyone cares for the Dreamcast.

Yes...I realized that it was software piracy, but I wasn't sure if the copyrights were void since it's a dead system.
I don't have a clue in this arena...sorry.

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
The answer is no, and no, and uh....no. Don't do it, it's illegal, and if you do want to do it, don't tell us about it.

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Originally posted by: LordRaiden
The answer is no and no, and uh....no. Don't do it, it's illegal, and if you do want to do it, don't tell us about it.

That's all I wanted to know, and I previously stated I'd have to scavange for games if I wanted them and dling wasn't legal. Thanks for your input.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: allies
hello, software piracy.

Yes...I realized that it was software piracy, but I wasn't sure if the copyrights were void since it's a dead system.

The copyrights are good for 50 years or so regardless of the status of the system itself. In fact, since Sega and MS are in bed together now, MS might actually care more than Sega since a lot of standby Sega licenses are moving to XBox (Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, to name a couple).

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Jzero
hello, software piracy.

The copyrights are good for 50 years or so regardless of the status of the system itself. In fact, since Sega and MS are in bed together now, MS might actually care more than Sega since a lot of standby Sega licenses are moving to XBox (Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, to name a couple).

Ah...forgot about the Microsoft / Sega deal, and I didn't know about the length of the copyrights. So what's the best legal way to get new dreamcast games?

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Go to an EB Games store or Gamestop. All the ones by me have tons of DC games for 5 to 10 dollars. The rarer titles are priced more.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
hello, software piracy.

copyrights never die because those bought and paid for fvcks in congress extend copyrights every time mickey mouse is about to become public domain.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
probably not too bad since they are gone. you are wasting your time bothering though.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
The copyrights remain in force for the next 50 or 100 years or whatever the heck Congress decides to sell itself for.

The real question becomes: Have the companies that own those copyrights abandoned those rights, assuming that those companies or their successors still exist? Try looking up "Abandonware" on Google for arguments pro and con.

Brymo

Banned
Dec 31, 2002
its not... its 'dead' all games are all done... just download.. i have , have like all dc games now...

DigDug

Mar 21, 2002
copyrights never die because those bought and paid for fvcks in congress extend copyrights every time mickey mouse is about to become public domain.

Indeed. Take a course on Copyright and you'll see that this arena is the BIGGEST example of the back-pocketing of Government. The DMCA was almost exclusively written by the copyright-fueled industries with congressional committees literally rubber stamping the results.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: GermyBoy
Can you buy them for cheaper than bw costs and media? If not, then it shouldn't be illegal!

Five (Canadian) bucks a game at the local Electronics Boutique. Cleaned out the shelf. :D

- M4H