Legality of a hypnotist comedy show?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Why was the husband mad at his wife? Why wasn't he mad at the hypnotist instead? And why didn't he march up on stage and take his wife away?

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: CPA
Why was the husband mad at his wife? Why wasn't he mad at the hypnotist instead? And why didn't he march up on stage and take his wife away?

That's sort of what I was thinking... I was just thanking my lucky stars that my wife didn't go fully under. I probably would have done just that and yanked her from the stage.

JC86

Jan 18, 2007
I actually was a participant and viewer in one of these shows, I think Russ Burgess was the hypnotist. He said something along the lines of even when hypnotized, he cannot make you do something that you would morally object to. The show was actually a lot of fun, nothing too raunchy but a lot of fun.
It's definitely a grey area but I'd imagine their argument would be that you knew what you were getting into when you went to see the show.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
That's the thing about hypnosis - it's not possible to get somebody to do something they would never do. So all the things they did are things they WOULD do.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I've both been hypnotized and performed hypnosis myself. It's not hard to do. It's mostly a projection of confidence plus prodigious use of repetition that makes it work.

My take on it is that it is creating an environment where the ludicrous seems reasonable that drives you to do these things, and it's just easier to go with the flow than deny it. Most people in our society would simply rather go with it than stop and think for themselves. It was actually a rather depressing realization.

In terms of the legality, the ticket you bought should cover the issue. I'm sure you signed away the right to sue by entering into that purchase agreement.

Originally posted by: Baloo
That's the thing about hypnosis - it's not possible to get somebody to do something they would never do. So all the things they did are things they WOULD do.

Not really. You can make people do things they wouldn't normally do, such as take off clothing or grind up on a stranger. It's only stuff that would make any normal person stop dead and their tracks and question the wisdom of - ie. pulling the trigger on a loaded gun that's pointed at a living creature - that breaks the spell.

Originally posted by: sirjonk
If hypnosis (as he performed it) were real would he not just hypnotize people and have them give him money, hypnotize women to have sex with him, hypnotize the irs so he wouldn't have to pay taxes, hypnotize the rest of the audience so they wouldn't think to sue him?

One more quick reply before I head home - the setting plays heavily into being able to hypnotize. Take a bunch of people to a show where they're told they're going to witness a hypnotist put a bunch of people under, and most of them come into the whole thing with some level of confidence that it could happen. Isolating a few and bringing them up on stage basically recruits them into playing a role. Then coach all your suggestions in a persuasive manner with the right amount of repetition (I hear varying light levels helps too) and, again, it becomes easier for that person to play along than break the spell.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
too bad the guy doesnt have anything on amazon.com or a message board on his website...

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
my understanding of hypnotism is that you cannot be hypnotized to do something you don't want to do.

That is 100% true.

These people were either paid to do it, or always wanted to do what they did and found this as an excuse they could use.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: tmc
hypnotism = jedi mind trick??? :)
And it has a strong influence on the weak-minded.

I'd challenge any of these hypnotists to try to hypnotize me. I can see the results already:
Most probable: Laughing from the staring into each other's eyes bit, a'la staring contest.
Likely: Me being bored and amused by the whole thing.
Definite: Nothing significant happening.

If the person has to be "open" to it, then they're probably also "open" to saying that they totally can't do anything against the will of the hypnotist.

OP, face it, your wife was just hoping she'd be able to flash the audience and say it wasn't her fault.:D

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
that would be hard to prove in court. all the guy has to say is its an act and the people who stripped did so only at my suggestion. i didnt make them do anything against their will.

AZGamer

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
that would be hard to prove in court. all the guy has to say is its an act and the people who stripped did so only at my suggestion. i didnt make them do anything against their will.

The problem is juries aren't stacked with fairly intelligent people - they're stacked with people who didn't avoid jury duty and weren't weeded out with pre-trial questions, so it'd most likely be people who believed in hypnosis.

It's all BS anyway.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: AZGamer
Originally posted by: Citrix

The problem is juries aren't stacked with fairly intelligent people - they're stacked with people who didn't avoid jury duty and weren't weeded out with pre-trial questions, so it'd most likely be people who believed in hypnosis.

It's all BS anyway.

Yeah, I can see this happening:

DA: May I call the defendant, the hypnotist.

Hypnotist: <waves his hand>I'm innocent, and this jury shall award me with ridiculous amount of money for false claims

Jury: <glazed eyes>He's right. Let's hump each others...

AZGamer

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Just went to the website - this is all you need to know:

"Welcome to the Official Site of Rich Guzzi and the Psycho Friends Network"

I avoid Psycho friends.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Random Variable
I'm calling shens.

Someone in the freaking ATOT community has got to have seen Rich Guzzi's new show to back me up on this.

I'm being completely honest here.... it happened.

Not that you'd do it, but you can order the damned DVD from last nights show on his website.

01-29-07
Refinery Lounge
North Pole, AK

EDIT: Here is the closest I can get for proof without the video:
Link to local comedy circuit with their "ADULTS ONLY" disclaimer

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
i remember a long time family friend was hypotnotized on stage with a bunch of other people. we were on vacation so had the camcorder handy. he was pissed when he saw what the hypnotist had made him do, though it was nothing raunchy. it was a family vacation. he had him running up and down the aisles screaming "the britich are coming" and made the men think they were giving birth. it was funnay stuff.

personally, i'm not one of the people who can seem to fall under hyptnotism but i have no doubt some people are able to.

whylaff

Oct 31, 2007
I've seen J Medicine Hat twice. One Midnight show had nudity. The other one which was in the evening did not and was like you described. Had to sign something to get his tickets, like a log book, I probably should have read it - I don't know what it said. I did see the giant disclosure posted though warning of the content of his show, and your participation. No idea if it was setup or not, but the person involved was extremely embarrassed afterwards. (When you walk out of the place and "remember") The evening show I went to you could tell at least one person was clearly faking it, and the midnight show might have just been funny because everyone was piss drunk before they got there. Still really funny either way.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Jugernot
Originally posted by: CPA

That's sort of what I was thinking... I was just thanking my lucky stars that my wife didn't go fully under. I probably would have done just that and yanked her from the stage.

He probably the crap out of her when they got home to teach her a lesson.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
If he's really forcing people to do sexual things, as in, it's really him responsible for this, then he'd be guilty of some sort of sexual assault, or possibly rape. But, I don't see any convictions happening. Hmm......

Originally posted by: whylaff
I've seen J Medicine Hat twice. One Midnight show had nudity. The other one which was in the evening did not and was like you described. Had to sign something to get his tickets, like a log book, I probably should have read it - I don't know what it said. I did see the giant disclosure posted though warning of the content of his show, and your participation. No idea if it was setup or not, but the person involved was extremely embarrassed afterwards. (When you walk out of the place and "remember") The evening show I went to you could tell at least one person was clearly faking it, and the midnight show might have just been funny because everyone was piss drunk before they got there. Still really funny either way.
Did you read the part that said, "For entertainment purposes only."? That's what those "Psychic Friends" commercials used to say in the fine print.

It strikes me as a really weird form of audience improv comedy.