legal question regarding publishing of stock prices on website

shodge37

Aug 9, 2007
ok - here's the scenario:

the web guy where i work has been asked by management to have either a stock ticker or a dynamic price on our company's website. he thinks he can just write a script to take the info off yahoo finance or similar place and just put it there. the other IT admin and i both think that you cannot publish that information without a license or subscription to a place that allows you to publish it.

so i have 2 questions:

1. who is right?
2. is there some definitive information on a website about this kind of thing that i can look at to make sure?

TIA :)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The main thing to realize is that all the Free feeds are usually delayed from 10-20 minutes.

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
The main thing to realize is that all the Free feeds are usually delayed from 10-20 minutes.

I thought they all were? Are there any that aren't delayed?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: hypn0tik
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

I thought they all were? Are there any that aren't delayed?

There are subscription services that allow real-time feeds

shodge37

Aug 9, 2007
Originally posted by: hellman69
Go here: http://finance.yahoo.com/badges/
You can get the quotes from free without having to steal their CSV files and parsing them.

Trevor

thanks. i looked at that. unfortunately, it currently only has badges for the american markets and i'm in canada. i'll keep looking for a canadian one.

but i guess that means that it's not illegal, eh? :p

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Yahoo finance doesn't like you pinging TOO much, regardless of it it says "free" or not. My place of employment hits Yahoo finance about 3000 times an hour and I believe they send you a notice if you break 5000.

hellman69

Feb 15, 2003
Originally posted by: shodge37
Originally posted by: hellman69
Go here: http://finance.yahoo.com/badges/
You can get the quotes from free without having to steal their CSV files and parsing them.

Trevor

thanks. i looked at that. unfortunately, it currently only has badges for the american markets and i'm in canada. i'll keep looking for a canadian one.

but i guess that means that it's not illegal, eh? :p

Yeah, I guess so. We just switched to the badges for out corporate site. Prior to that, I wrote a script that would grab the CSV file every half hour, then the page would parse that cached file. Never had a problem with it and never heard from Yahoo about it.

Trevor