Legal extortion

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
I got and paid for two tickets recieved in NY. one in march 2006 another in june 2007.

I just got a letter saying that I owe NY another $450 on top of the $600+ because i got 6+ points in 18 months.....

Unless you are rich who can afford this type of double penalty?

Failure to comply will result in suspension of license.

Legalized extortion.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
that only applies if you have a NY drivers license. I got one of those too back in July 06. But just ignored it since I have a NJ drivers license. I have since renewed my license in NJ without a hitch

yea its 6 points in NY, but only counted as 2 on my NJ license since I got the ticket out of state

dont you live in Connecticut? if you dont have a NY license, dont worry about it

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
I got and paid for two tickets recieved in NY. one in march 2006 another in june 2007.

I just got a letter saying that I owe NY another $450 on top of the $600+ because i got 6+ points in 18 months.....

Legalized extortion.

yeap. some areas they are charging you a fine yearly for tickets. though thought it struck down.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Aharami
that only applies if you have a NY drivers license. I got one of those too back in July 06. But just ignored it since I have a NJ drivers license. I have since renewed my license in NJ without a hitch

dont you live in Connecticut? if you dont have a NY license, dont worry about it

yeah but If I drive in new york I can be arrested. NY can also tell CT DMV to cancel my license as well. I am sure they will do that.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I have heard New York has the harshest traffic laws... yet the most dense and aggressive traffic.
Maybe they don't ticket in New York City much because of the density.
Do they just pick and choose who they ticket in rural areas?

I'm glad I'm in Ohio... almost every ticket is $100.
You don't lose your license until you get 8 points in 2 years. That would be 4 speeding tickets.

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
They must have tightened that. Last I knew the only penalty for points was on your insurance and if you had 11+ your license was revoked (or maybe it was suspended)

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
any lawyer friends you can talk to? that sounds sticky... but i know, for example, my mom had her michigan license suspended for points and the next week went and got an alabama license with out a hitch.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Aharami
can one state tell another state to cancel a license like that?

They can't force them to, they can ask them to take it up. Most states cooperate as they'll want the same done in return.

Here's an idea: Quit whining, pay the ticket and learn to drive.

TheFamilyMan

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim

Legalized extortion.

Legalized extortion? ROFLMAO. Give me a break...you got the tickets and now that the rules are being applied to you, you are whining about it being extortion. From many of your posts, you've enjoyed playing your part taking full advantage of people and situations at every opportunity and not caring one bit about the consequences. Enjoy the receiving end much? Just pay the fines and quit whining...I thought real men didn't whine and cry about things...